Cruising pregnant?

I am booked on the Mariner in December but there is a chance that I may become pregnant in August. I would be well before RCI's cutoff date on pregnancies, but I do have some questions about the experience.

We have purchased the deluxe drink package already. I assume that I can ask them to swap just mine to a refreshment package if I do end up pregnant? Would they be able to get rid of a drink package for me altogether or is the refreshment the minimum if someone else in the cabin is getting the deluxe?

What about food? Would they be able to ensure that any food I was served in the MDR was cooked thoroughly? Would I need to contact someone in advance or just let my waiters know once I'm on board?

I've never been on Royal Caribbean before. Anything else I should know about before I go? I prefer to know what to expect for as many scenarios as possible beforehand.

You "may" become pregnant in August? I am sorry, I don't understand your questions. I think I would be more concerned about the Zika virus than what food they are serving. Maybe I am just not understanding......if so, I deeply apologize

You "may" become pregnant in August? I am sorry, I don't understand your questions. I think I would be more concerned about the Zika virus than what food they are serving. Maybe I am just not understanding......if so, I deeply apologize

We specifically chose the Bahamas because they're not on the CDC's Zika warning list. If that changes between now and then we will certainly take that into consideration!

Yes, I may become pregnant in August. I'm undergoing a procedure in August that may result in pregnancy. I prefer to be prepared for possibilities than to suddenly be faced with a certainty that I then have to research and plan for when I'll have a lot of other stresses in my life!

We specifically chose the Bahamas because they're not on the CDC's Zika warning list. If that changes between now and then we will certainly take that into consideration!

Yes, I may become pregnant in August. I'm undergoing a procedure in August that may result in pregnancy. I prefer to be prepared for possibilities than to suddenly be faced with a certainty that I then have to research and plan for when I'll have a lot of other stresses in my life!

Ahhhh...well, I wish you the very, very best and luck!!!!! Nothing better than a relaxing cruise!:cool:

You should be able to change your Deluxe beverage package to the Refreshment package pre-cruise, and get a credit on your credit card.

Thank you, Bob! But I can't get rid of a drink package altogether if my husband is getting one, correct?

Thank you, Bob! But I can't get rid of a drink package altogether if my husband is getting one, correct?

That has been the situation lately. If you want to wait until you are onboard, they may (and I emphasize may) let you get by with a soda package, but in that case, the credit you get would be onboard credit, not to your credit card.

I am booked on the Mariner in December but there is a chance that I may become pregnant in August. I would be well before RCI's cutoff date on pregnancies, but I do have some questions about the experience..

A friend recently had this happen, as soon as she found out, she called Royal and the CSR happily refunded one of their 2 drink packages No questions asked.

I hope congratulations are in order! I cruised pregnant on CCL, and had a fantastic time. We now have three daughters, and two have food allergies. RCCL Has been good about accommodating them. I would suggest talking to the dining team each night about the following day's menu. You can special order if need be.

A friend recently had this happen, as soon as she found out, she called Royal and the CSR happily refunded one of their 2 drink packages No questions asked.

That would be ideal and I'm glad to know it's a possibility, though I'll temper my expectations with Bob's advice. Thanks!

I hope congratulations are in order! I cruised pregnant on CCL, and had a fantastic time. We now have three daughters, and two have food allergies. RCCL Has been good about accommodating them. I would suggest talking to the dining team each night about the following day's menu. You can special order if need be.

Great, I'm glad they're accommodating. I'm a little concerned because current recommendations usually center more around how (and whether) food is cooked than the food itself, but as long as it can be cooked to order then I guess it'll probably be fine...

That would be ideal and I'm glad to know it's a possibility, though I'll temper my expectations with Bob's advice. Thanks!

I should have mentioned she would have refunded and then booked one of the other packages, but my friend decided to stick to water and lemonade that cruise.

IMO, you are putting the cart before the horse. If you are doing the procedure in August, you wouldn't know the results until the beginning of Sept? /whoops, I forgot modern technology can give you results right away. I don't know your medical history, but just maybe your doctor MIGHT put you on bed rest for a few weeks, I don't know where you live either, would you be driving or flying to the port? IF in fact you were to become pregnant, would your doctor clear you to cruise? Many questions, but the beverage package would be at the bottom of my list.

IMO, you are putting the cart before the horse. If you are doing the procedure in August, you wouldn't know the results until the beginning of Sept? /whoops, I forgot modern technology can give you results right away. I don't know your medical history, but just maybe your doctor MIGHT put you on bed rest for a few weeks, I don't know where you live either, would you be driving or flying to the port? IF in fact you were to become pregnant, would your doctor clear you to cruise? Many questions, but the beverage package would be at the bottom of my list.

All questions that I've had answered :)

I'd know before the end of August. I would not be put on bed rest unless something went drastically wrong, in which case I'd reevaluate going on the cruise altogether, but that's not a likely outcome. I would be flying to port and I would be clear to both fly and cruise.. again, unless something went drastically wrong. But the chances of that are only slightly higher than of anyone else having a medical emergency.

And yes, this is planning way early for a possibility, but as I said, I prefer to prepare for the possibility now than to try to plan for the eventuality while dealing with a lot more stress.

Be sure to get trip insurance now, rather than waiting until you know, because it would be a pre-existing condition at that point.

A very good point, and thankfully one that our TA thought of while booking! We are covered.

All questions that I've had answered :)

I'd know before the end of August. I would not be put on bed rest unless something went drastically wrong, in which case I'd reevaluate going on the cruise altogether, but that's not a likely outcome. I would be flying to port and I would be clear to both fly and cruise.. again, unless something went drastically wrong. But the chances of that are only slightly higher than of anyone else having a medical emergency.

And yes, this is planning way early for a possibility, but as I said, I prefer to prepare for the possibility now than to try to plan for the eventuality while dealing with a lot more stress.

I am glad you have all your questions answered. But, mother nature has the last word.. I hope things go well and can enjoy your cruise

I'd be concerned about morning sickness in December

Also I hope you bought that insurance before you scheduled your procedure

The fine print in the policy will clearly state that you can't be knowingly planning say surgery or "procedures" when you buy the policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Per above, I'd also be way more concerned about the Zika virus. :eek:

Good Luck, hope all works out for you. My Daughter decided not to cruise, she was at that time/weeks of pregnancy that Zika could harm the baby. Was going on a 11nite with me all over Caribbean so understand your concerns. In 30 yrs of cruising of 40+ cruises I've never seen a Mosquito, but know they are out there... They just never bothered me...

Edited by ONECRUISER

The entire Caribbean plus the Bahamas was on the list until very recently. To say there is no risk in the Bahamas is perhaps being a little too confident.

I'm going by the CDC zika site. They removed the Bahamas in February from the watch list because there have been no new cases since November 2016. That'll be two years clean by the time I cruise.

As I said, if that changes then I'll reevaluate. But as of right now there's less risk there than while I'm in port in Florida.