Scenic clothing/laundry questions

DougK

I didn't get any answers when I posted this on the Scenic roll call thread, so I'll try here:

Our final payment just got processed, so I guess it's time to move beyond just excitement, and start worrying about practicalities. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 We're going to be doing the Jewels of Europe in September. It's our first river cruise (although we've done a number of ocean cruises), and my wife is worried about clothes and laundry. So I'm hoping those with previous experience can answer a couple of questions:

1) Are jeans acceptable in the dining room for dinner? I don't mean to start an argument; I'm just asking because I know different lines interpret "resort casual" differently. For example, on Azamara, jeans are now allowed. Of course, I'm not talking ripped/torn/dirty, and not even necessarily blue. But jeans of various varieties are the staples of our wardrobes, and I need to know whether we will need to bring different clothes to dress for dinner.

2) Scenic now says there's a "laundry concierge" service, but doesn't really explain what that is. I think, from reading on CC, that it means one bag of free laundry, or maybe some amount by weight, but I'm not sure. Can somebody give me the real scoop? Is it per person, or per suite, and does it depend on the length of the cruise? With a 15-day cruise, we're obviously going to need to get a fair amount of laundry done...

3) Many of my wife's clothes are "line dry only." Is that something Scenic can handle? We don't mind getting those clothes back wet, and letting them dry in our room, but we don't want them ruined by being thrown in a dryer.

Thanks for any answers!

1). Having been on two Scenic cruises, I don't recall seeing jeans in the dining room at dinner. Certainly at lunch folks were wearing them, dinner most people took it up a notch.

2) I believe the bag would be per suite, never used their laundry service so can't say for sure.

3) I would never send clothes that require special handling to a service. Maybe she could rinse them in the bathroom sink, then hang them to dry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1) There's no official dress code, so no one is going to actually turn you away from dinner for wearing jeans. Jeans are unusual at dinner, but if they're "smart" looking I doubt anyone will complain. The request for dinner is "smart casual" wear. There was one fellow on our cruise who dressed in worn jeans, probably trying to get a rise out of his wife or to show the rest of us we were snobs. I suspect he was "dragged along" on the cruise and was showing some passive-aggressive behaviour. :) He didn't starve.

2) Laundry service depends on the deck & cabin. On the top deck Royal suites the butler handled unlimited laundry for us. I think the laundry "concierge" for the rest of the suites simply is a pick-up and drop-off service, with a laundry cost-per-item added to your bill to be settled at the end of the trip. Some suites get a small number of "free" laundry items. You need to fill out a form that goes in laundry bag, and that should have the price for each item so you know how much you're racking up. There is no dry cleaning.

3) I respectfully suggest your wife reconsider this. By settling for clothing that is mostly wash-and-wear you'll decrease your anxiety on the cruise. You can do some sink laundry, and if an item needs pressing some classes of suites include "up to two items pressed daily" or some such. One or two fancier sets for the one or two fancier events is appropriate, but I recommend for the most part to keep the clothing low-maintenance.

A lot depends on which cabin you are in but basically 1 bag per cabin weighing 1kg about 2 lbs but I’ve never seen it being weighed. Just fill a bag that is supplied, you can of course pay for extra laundry. Depending on your cabin usually Diamond deck you can have two items pressed per day. We did the Jewels of Europe last year. Both myself and my husband have worn ‘smart jeans’ to dinner, one year (we’ve done 7 with Scenic now) a guy got away with shorts whatever or whoever tried to talk him into not wearing them got absolutely no where, he was just an absolute plonker, his wife was lovely. There is a little washing line in the shower I’ve never known of any provision for drip dry or dry cleaning on board. Mix and match or switch and mix, some smart scarves and bit of bling goes a long way. Have a great time enjoy. CA

On board Sceni Crystal at the moment having switched from Ruby due to blockage of Danube by cargo boat. We are on the bottom floor and had 1 free bag of washing and pressing. The bag is small and you can only fill to the button catch halfway up. We managed to get one pair of men's shorts, 2 polo shirts and a few pairs of undies in it. We wash undies and tops in bathroom sink and hang in shower. Speaking of showers the one on the bottom deck of Crystal is absolutely ridiculously small.

Thanks, everybody, for the information. We splurged this trip on a Royal suite, so it seems like quantity of laundry won't be an issue. (I do wish this was actually listed on the Scenic web site, but it seems like a lot of practical details aren't.) I'll try to convince my wife to avoid "line dry" clothing...

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, as I get more and more excited about the cruise. It's such a change moving from ocean cruises where I knew exactly what to expect to the new experience of a river cruise, with many unknowns. I'm not complaining in the least--new adventures are fun!