Ordered Ashore From Golden Princess

VK3DQ

Hi Folks

I think I've at least for the moment lost my nerve ,,,, I was unable to place a booking yesterday despite finding two options allowing me plenty of recovery time (5 -- 6 Months) prior to travel...

Not only that one option was in the Grand Suite on board Explorer of the Seas, and the other no less than a 24 Day sail on Sun Princess

Totally lost my nerve ....:confused:

There is also the little matter of the 50th Wedding bash to be addressed ... and a proposed group cruise in March 2017 with over 20 people having expressed a wish to come along......

Hopefully in a couple of weeks time I will be able to come to terms with my doubts and fears...

This is Stupid!

Regards

John

Take my advice John, get back on the horse, sorry SHIP. When I walked off ye olde Regal Princess in October 2007 after going through 40 foot seas and Force 12 gales and getting smashed from NZ to Sydney, I vowed never to get on board a ship again. Guess what? After two weeks I booked another adventure on the high seas.

So get on your puter, get on the Princess site and hit the booking button old son.

(I trust the corned beef, spuds and peas went down well John.)

Edited by NSWP

• 3 months later...

VK3DQ

Hope you are now fully recovered from this ordeal

So how did this pan out with the travel insurance company - hopefully they were able to deal with your claim quickly and make suitable payment?

How about Princess - were you happy with the outcome?

VK3DQ

Hope you are now fully recovered from this ordeal

So how did this pan out with the travel insurance company - hopefully they were able to deal with your claim quickly and make suitable payment?

How about Princess - were you happy with the outcome?

Hi Folks

My insurance company paid all my claims in full , the process took about 6 weeks

Princess , well whilst they showed concern in e-mails to me never actually detailed anything that they would do to ensure this does not happen again .. so I suppose I am disappointed in their lack of response.

My health continues to cause problems , I have to take some nasty pain control medication and we dont seem to be able to do much more ...its a day to day thing with no estimate of an end point...

As far as cruising is concerned we canceled our trip that we were due to take in March on Golden Princess, and have taken a punt that I will be well enough to go on Explorer of the Seas on 10th November for a ten day cruise to the Pacific Islands.

I lashed out and booked a grand suite for the three of us , so if I get thrown off again the girls will be comfortable :p

My wife Jean missed out on her 70th birthday cruise but she did get a new Kia Cerato hatchback as a consolation prize..

I have just treated myself to a new radio (we are both Radio Hams) so thats helped a little , and I am trying as hard as I can to be well enough to enjoy the cruise in November.

We decided that whilst we did like Golden Princess we would try Explorer this time ... The big question is what ship do we go in in September 2018 when we celebrate 50 years of marriage???

Regards

John

Thanks for the update

Good to hear insurance paid off - glad Insure & Go paid out as that's who I am using now for cruise travel insurance

Not so good on Princess though

Hope your health improves and you are all able to resume sailing

Best wishes

Hi John

Pete and I are pleased to hear the insurance company paid up. As with all corporates it is not surprising that Princess went all quiet and there is no follow up.

I am sure Jean is enjoying her new car. Shame the cruise was cancelled.

As for your 50th anniversary, there should be plenty of options.

All the best.

Edited by MargoK

Hello Folks

I had e-mail and phone contact with Princess Cruises , they are basically saying they will not do anything for me

I have canceled my cruise in March for which there is no way in the world I will be well enough to take .. Princess Refused to waive the 25% cancellation fee approx $1500

not happy I have requested the matter be escalated to Jan Swartz office

regards

john

Outragous,simply not good enough.

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks

Well at long last we know what the problem is ...

I have been diagnosed with Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH)

Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH), also known as Forestier disease, describes a phenomenon characterized by a tendency toward ossification of ligaments. It most characteristically affects the spine.[1, 2] (See the image below.) Ossification of the longitudinal ligaments (especially the anterior ligaments) of the spine produces a tortuous paravertebral mass anterior to and distinct (at least radiologically) from the vertebral bodies.[3] Grossly, the appearance is that of candle wax dripping down the spine.

While the thoracic anterior longitudinal ligament is ossified, the areas of ossification often meet without fusion. Motion actually is possible, in contrast to lumbar vertebral bridging, which is associated with loss of lumbar motion. The zygapophyseal and sacroiliac joints are not involved in DISH, and the intervening intervertebral disk space is preserved.

DISH is well represented in the zoologic and paleontologic record. It is found in 1-3% of baboons and monkeys, as well as in gorillas, bears, camels, horses, bison, musk oxen, canids, felids, and whales[4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] ; DISH was also present in dinosaurs.[11, 12, 13] An age-dependent phenomenon, it occurs in 15-25% of older mammals.

So as you can see even Dinosaurs suffered from this ... :D treatment is pain control in my case with Morphine patches and a drug call lyrica

The good news is that I am booked on Explorer of the Seas for a ten night cruise starting on November 10th wish me luck

Regards

John

Hi Folks

Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH), also known as Forestier disease, describes a phenomenon characterized by a tendency toward ossification of ligaments. It most characteristically affects the spine.[1, 2] (See the image below.) Ossification of the longitudinal ligaments (especially the anterior ligaments) of the spine produces a tortuous paravertebral mass anterior to and distinct (at least radiologically) from the vertebral bodies.[3] Grossly, the appearance is that of candle wax dripping down the spine.

While the thoracic anterior longitudinal ligament is ossified, the areas of ossification often meet without fusion. Motion actually is possible, in contrast to lumbar vertebral bridging, which is associated with loss of lumbar motion. The zygapophyseal and sacroiliac joints are not involved in DISH, and the intervening intervertebral disk space is preserved.

DISH is well represented in the zoologic and paleontologic record. It is found in 1-3% of baboons and monkeys, as well as in gorillas, bears, camels, horses, bison, musk oxen, canids, felids, and whales[4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] ; DISH was also present in dinosaurs.[11, 12, 13] An age-dependent phenomenon, it occurs in 15-25% of older mammals.

So as you can see even Dinosaurs suffered from this ... :D treatment is pain control in my case with Morphine patches and a drug call lyrica

The good news is that I am booked on Explorer of the Seas for a ten night cruise starting on November 10th wish me luck

Regards

John

Good luck with the Lyrica a great drug for those it works for, not too pleasant for those it gives side effects too. Be careful till you know how the patches effect you, especially with booze.

Good luck with the Lyrica a great drug for those it works for, not too pleasant for those it gives side effects too. Be careful till you know how the patches effect you, especially with booze.

Hi Gut

The quack has told me that I cannot have any booze .. so bring on the "Virgin Cocktails"

Its no big deal I can live without the booze :p

Regards

John

PS the Lyrica is great for me reducing the pain by 95% with no side effects have been on it for about a month now with no issues the norspan patch is only 5micrograms per hour very small dose which we may be able to stop a bit later on

Hi Gut

The quack has told me that I cannot have any booze .. so bring on the "Virgin Cocktails"

Its no big deal I can live without the booze :p

Regards

John

PS the Lyrica is great for me reducing the pain by 95% with no side effects have been on it for about a month now with no issues the norspan patch is only 5micrograms per hour very small dose which we may be able to stop a bit later on

That's great Lyrica turned me into even more of a Zombie, I was on the Fentynal patch, till it stopped working, it was great at first, but a much higher dosage with oxynorm or end one for break through.

Hi Folks

Regards

John

Boy oh boy John.

You don't do things by halves! :eek:

I glazed over after the beginning of the third paragraph, and when I got to the Dinosaurs, well I am sorry I starting laughing :p Not very kind I know, but then knowing you as I do I was sure you have retained your sense of humour.

Enjoy your forthcoming cruise and give our love to your dear Jean and MIL Elsie. XXX

Marg and Peter

Edited by MargoK

Hi John,

Glad things are working out.

Happy the Lyrica is working for you.

One of us takes it,(quite a dosage),Plus a cocktail of others.

You will learn the balance, and what is good and not.

Alcohol, can really upset the balance.

Hope you enjoy your future cruising.:):):):):):)

Boy oh boy John.

You don't do things by halves! :eek:

I glazed over after the beginning of the third paragraph, and when I got to the Dinosaurs, well I am sorry I starting laughing :p Not very kind I know, but then knowing you as I do I was sure you have retained your sense of humour.

Enjoy your forthcoming cruise and give our love to your dear Jean and MIL Elsie. XXX

Marg and Peter

Hi Margo

Thanks ....Yep I don't do anything by halves do I :D

I'm trying as hard as I can to get well to go in November , we will take it very gently going up to Sydney the day prior to the cruise and having a night in a quite nice hotel which has a very nice Irish pub on the opposite corner so we should get a nice meal the night before :p

And we have booked a Grand Suite to enable easy boarding and provide me with a nice hidey hole whist the "girls" create havoc :p

I'm much better but still sleeping quite a lot

As far as dinosaur bones are concerned yep and old fossil like me can understand that :D

Best Regards

John Jean and Elsie

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis and treatment that works at keeping the symptoms at bay. Daughter was prescribed lyrica - it was a disaster as it made the symptoms much worse. After all that they discovered a stress fracture so no wonder it didn't work.

Hopefully lots more wonderful cruises for you now.

Edited by Aussieflyer