CCers in harm's way, let us know you are safe

RMLincoln

My thoughts are exactly as the OP's! I have friends who live and own property in Florida and I am very concerned about them. My Church has a Prayer Chain. Members of our Church's Prayer Chain have been asked to pray for all of those in Irma's path.

We are on a ship Voyage of the Vikings docking as we speak in Boston early. Transfer to the Massdam.

Good to hear from you! Once you are on the Maasdam I'm sure they will take good care of you' date=' but your itinerary might shift. Have a good cruise and we are glad to hear your safe. We'll try to follow what Maasdam does, check in if you can. Stay safe! m--

[and I think we'll be cruising with you in October on Atlantic Adventurer, stay well!']

m--

We are in Tampa and it looks like we're going to get a much stronger storm than expected even from Friday's maps (possibly a cat. 3 directly over Tampa at this time). We boarded up our house yesterday and got some up on Eric's brothers house (he died in June). We'll finish up his house today and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in Tampa and it looks like we're going to get a much stronger storm than expected even from Friday's maps (possibly a cat. 3 directly over Tampa at this time). We boarded up our house yesterday and got some up on Eric's brothers house (he died in June). We'll finish up his house today and hope for the best.

I hope you are above water surge level, have food and water... battery lights, plastic bags to help keep your things dry. Sounds like you have each other! Thanks for checking in, many people sending out prayers and blessings. Let us know how you are after the storm passes, we'll be waiting to hear you are ok. Standing with you! m--

I am west of Tampa and about 4 miles from the Gulf. The wind will be my enemy since I am 83 feet above sea level and in a non evacuation zone.

It is going to be a rough Sunday and Monday here though and I hope my windows hold :o

I am west of Tampa and about 4 miles from the Gulf. The wind will be my enemy since I am 83 feet above sea level and in a non evacuation zone.

It is going to be a rough Sunday and Monday here though and I hope my windows hold :o

Prayers for you all to get safely through this massive Hurricane.

At 83 feet you will get a lot wind, and we hope your windows hold! Be resourceful and have a back up plan if a window gets broken through... a tarp and stapler may help; if someone is with you to help you, think about the possibility of taking a closet or bathroom door off it's hinges to use to block up the window. I hope you are not by yourself, but even if you are, remember you are not alone! Sending our love and prayers! Check in as you can let us know how you are doing. m--

My thoughts are exactly as the OP's! I have friends who live and own property in Florida and I am very concerned about them. My Church has a Prayer Chain. Members of our Church's Prayer Chain have been asked to pray for all of those in Irma's path.

I join you in being concerned.

I love your prayer chain idea.

At 83 feet you will get a lot wind, and we hope your windows hold! Be resourceful and have a back up plan if a window gets broken through... a tarp and stapler may help; if someone is with you to help you, think about the possibility of taking a closet or bathroom door off it's hinges to use to block up the window. I hope you are not by yourself, but even if you are, remember you are not alone! Sending our love and prayers! Check in as you can let us know how you are doing. m--

Thank you!

Windows, outer doors, and garage doors in FL have been replaced with much stronger products since Andrew in 1992. We will see!

The wind will be mostly out of the SE too which will help.....

Thank you!

Windows, outer doors, and garage doors in FL have been replaced with much stronger products since Andrew in 1992. We will see!

Right now it looks like Irma will be following the west Florida coastline. Won't the wind be coming from the southwest?

Question: How much force can windows take? Does anyone know? The suggestion to use closet doors to cover the windows is a marvelous idea. I wish that we had the ability to do that, but we are presently in N. Georgia, and traveling back to Florida is not a great idea.

We are about 100 miles northeast of Tampa in Ocala and hoping for sustained winds no greater than 75 or so. We have a recently built block house and have not boarded up. We do have a generator and plan to pick up a neighbor who needs electricity for his oxygen if the the power goes off. I prepared some food that can be eaten cold for a couple of days. We are a little worried but basically feel prepared. Many thanks for your concerns.

Right now we're long term-temporarily living in Gainesville, so we're safe. My home is in Ft Myers, right along the coast, and currently they're saying 9+ feet of water will be inside my home. So, that's not looking good, and the loss of irreplaceable items like photos will be heartbreaking. The people in that area went under a mandatory evacuation order Friday, but not everyone has left - sure hope they don't die in their homes. We have a son, daughter-in-law and 13 month old grandson who live about 30 minutes inland, and they planned to stay but after the Friday 11pm update decided to leave - they're now safely with a friend in South Carolina. Today their area went under mandatory evacuation, with possible 6+ feet of water, due to storm surge of 15 feet. They took the 2 dogs but had to leave the 2 cats behind, who will hopefully survive on the 2nd floor of the townhouse until they can return or other relatives in the area get in there.

Sue/WDW1972

Right now it looks like Irma will be following the west Florida coastline. Won't the wind be coming from the southwest?

Question: How much force can windows take? Does anyone know? The suggestion to use closet doors to cover the windows is a marvelous idea. I wish that we had the ability to do that, but we are presently in N. Georgia, and traveling back to Florida is not a great idea.

Glad that you are in North Georgia -- safer there.

Sorry I can't help you with winds and windows. People have different kinds of windows. I know that our double pane windows withstood winds around 75 mph about a month ago -- we live on a very high hill.

Thank you!

Very good that your windows and doors were upgraded! Think good thoughts! m--

Right now we're long term-temporarily living in Gainesville, so we're safe. My home is in Ft Myers, right along the coast, and currently they're saying 9+ feet of water will be inside my home. So, that's not looking good, and the loss of irreplaceable items like photos will be heartbreaking. The people in that area went under a mandatory evacuation order Friday, but not everyone has left - sure hope they don't die in their homes. We have a son, daughter-in-law and 13 month old grandson who live about 30 minutes inland, and they planned to stay but after the Friday 11pm update decided to leave - they're now safely with a friend in South Carolina. Today their area went under mandatory evacuation, with possible 6+ feet of water, due to storm surge of 15 feet. They took the 2 dogs but had to leave the 2 cats behind, who will hopefully survive on the 2nd floor of the townhouse until they can return or other relatives in the area get in there. Sue/WDW1972

Sounds like you all got to safe places, and the kitties will have safe places upstairs too. Glad to hear it. m--

We are about 100 miles northeast of Tampa in Ocala and hoping for sustained winds no greater than 75 or so. We have a recently built block house and have not boarded up. We do have a generator and plan to pick up a neighbor who needs electricity for his oxygen if the the power goes off. I prepared some food that can be eaten cold for a couple of days. We are a little worried but basically feel prepared. Many thanks for your concerns.

You are prepared and in an inland good location away form the water surge, in a sturdy house. Hoping the winds are too bad for you, let us know how you do. It'll be a long night and day, food will be a comfort. m--

So hard to say about windows... too may factors: glass thickness, size/square feet, tempered or not, single, double, some are even laminated now. And debris can hit and break a window even if the wind speed isn't so very high. Stay safe there in North Georgia! Thanks for letting us know. m--

The latest one I see still has the eye traveling right over downtown Tampa but as you know over the last couple of days it has been slowing moving more to the west.

If it does make it into the Gulf it will be much worse here in Pinellas County :( But the entire Tampa Bay area is going to get hammered!