In place of Bermuda which Canada port is most likely? Saint John or Halifax?

kaykels

I am 0-4 for cruising out of Bayonne. About to be 0-5 ! i think I'm done sailing out of NJ during hurricane season! Not much of a chance of finding a path around this one.Maria will be nearby Bermuda when we are schedule to be there. I doubt we will run into it. So 2 years ago we went to Saint John, but I have heard others say Halifax. Any guesses?

I am 0-4 for cruising out of Bayonne. About to be 0-5 ! i think I'm done sailing out of NJ during hurricane season! Not much of a chance of finding a path around this one.Maria will be nearby Bermuda when we are schedule to be there. I doubt we will run into it. So 2 years ago we went to Saint John, but I have heard others say Halifax. Any guesses?

What do you mean by "0-4 out of Bayonne"?

What do you mean by "0-4 out of Bayonne"?

1. Carnival Dream through severe weather 2010

2. Explorer of the Seas through the eye of Hurricane Sandy (scary!) 2012

3. Carnvial Splendour- went to Bermuda instead of Canada due to tropical storm 2013

4. Liberty of the Seas- supposed to go to Bermuda and went to Canada (Hurricane Joaquin) 2015

and I'm sure Anthem 2017 will be re-routed. Hurricanes love me. Expand my signature and you will see how much. and that is only my cruise record. All inclusive land vacations are just as bad.

1. Carnival Dream through severe weather 2010

2. Explorer of the Seas through the eye of Hurricane Sandy (scary!) 2012

3. Carnvial Splendour- went to Bermuda instead of Canada due to tropical storm 2013

4. Liberty of the Seas- supposed to go to Bermuda and went to Canada (Hurricane Joaquin) 2015

and I'm sure Anthem 2017 will be re-routed. Hurricanes love me. Expand my signature and you will see how much. and that is only my cruise record. All inclusive land vacations are just as bad.

Well, two of those were from Manhattan, not Bayonne, but I'll just skip over that. :D

And it looks like you got a fair trade with #3 and #4. :D :D :D

It's sort of funny that you are swearing off cruising out of NY/NJ during hurricane season, when "everyone else" is talking about the hazards of sailing out of Florida during hurricane season.

:)

Two years ago, I was booked on B2B cruises (Anthem out of Bayonne), one eastern, one western. Because of a storm, we did two Easterns. Identical itineraries. I still had a fantastic time. :)

I'll have fun no matter what. I am well used to being re-routed. Florida has better options for re-routes though. Eastern vs western etc. I am just not a fan of Canada cruises. But I'll get some fresh maple syrup and another stuffed moose if Maria stays on her current path, Aye.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were sailing a 5 night on the Explorer out of Bayonne to Bermuda when Hurricaine Gonzalo decided to visit there. We were rerouted to Canada (I love Canada so I was fine with that!) and did both Halifax and Saint John. I actually did a Canada run out of Boston on Carnival Glory in June a few years ago. Thanks to dense fog and a good sized Nor'easter (am from New England so knew about that), we remained in Boston the first night and most of our ports were delayed a day. A good example for booking ship excursions - they were all there when we got to each port!

Since I like the prices during hurricaine season, I just pack a jacket and enjoy having people feed me, clean my room and entertain me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since I have my own personal summer [emoji38]I wear summer weight clothes all year round so a jacket is all I need to throw in. A mixed blessing for sure! I have to admit, I felt bad for the ladies we lunched with on our Explorer of the Seas diversion. They had driven down from Halifax to escape winter - and they just found out they were going back up! (They thought it was funny). On our Carnival Glory trip, I DIDN'T pack a jacket and it was cold and drizzly. Our first port, Portland ME, I had to get off and buy a jacket from a souvenir shop. The irony? I work in Portland! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] (The person who would have brought me a jacket was my cruisin' buddy and she was with me...)

I usually do ship excursions - Peggy's Cove is a picturesque little area and the guide does speak of history on the way. There's a Riverwalk in Halifax and they have the Halifax Maritime Museum at the end of it (walkable) that has exhibits about the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion. As well as a little brewery tour near the Riverwalk.

In Saint John we did a ship excursion around Saint John and up to St Martin. We also walked around Saint John, found a little museum and visited the shopping areas (new and old) Both the Canada/New England boards and Trip Advisor have some good ideas.

Good luck to you all sailing soon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If we sail at all st this point. Looking like worst case scenario now. Jose stalling off the coast causing rough seas and Maria coming up on the way back.

That would be terrible, but I doubt they would cancel altogether given how they haven't with other ships even with all the hurricanes in the carribean.

I think I'm done sailing in hurricane season period. Better off paying out the nose but sailing in non hurricane season. We are always dodging storms and it's annoying. We actually like sailing this time a year but it's just getting annoying. We are on anthem September 28th and I'll worried and Maria even though we are going to Canada/NE.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I think I'm done sailing in hurricane season period. Better off paying out the nose but sailing in non hurricane season. We are always dodging storms and it's annoying. We actually like sailing this time a year but it's just getting annoying. We are on anthem September 28th and I'll worried and Maria even though we are going to Canada/NE.

you should realize that, technically at least, hurricane season extends from June 1 until November 30th,(and Mother Nature doesn't feel bound to observe those dates) so you will be limiting your cruising options significantly if you choose not to sail during that period. There are also significant other weather events (snow storms, nor'easters etc.) that can impact your travel plans, so no period of time that you choose for your cruises comes with a guarantee of fine weather. During hurricane season, I believe that there are still more weeks that are storm free so I wouldn't automatically eliminate so much of the year from my travel plans.

you should realize that, technically at least, hurricane season extends from June 1 until November 30th,(and Mother Nature doesn't feel bound to observe those dates) so you will be limiting your cruising options significantly if you choose not to sail during that period. There are also significant other weather events (snow storms, nor'easters etc.) that can impact your travel plans, so no period of time that you choose for your cruises comes with a guarantee of fine weather. During hurricane season, I believe that there are still more weeks that are storm free so I wouldn't automatically eliminate so much of the year from my travel plans.

Yes but hurricane season really ramps up between August and November. You can and a lot of people do avoid this period of time for cruising. You just gotta pay more for non hurricane season. Might be a price with paying.

In the past, how conservative has Royal been in changing itinerary? I just want to be safe -- don't care where we go!

I'm the wrong girl to ask. They sailed me through the eye of Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Nothing I ever wish to repeat ! But after this and the Anthem crisis in 2015 I would like to think they have learned a few lessons !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums