Review of rhapsody 2017 transatlantic crossing

jean87510

It's a rainy day on day 11 of my crossing so I thought I would get started with a review of my trip which started actually Friday 11/3 on my flight from Newark to barcelona. Now originally we were flying tap air and would be arriving in Barcelona around 1230 pm on Saturday the 4th. I knew we would not sleep well on plane. I did not make any plans in barcelona other than a tapas tour with food lovers tours of barcelona. However luck intervened. We were offered anot her flight with united with a direct flight to barcelona that landed at 830. Of course we took it!

After we landed we made our way to the pickup location for the Salles hotel which is not in Barcelona but has a cruise package with free pickup at airport, free wifi, free breakfast and free drop off at cruise port. We napped in a comfortable clean room and then took a cab to park guell.

We took trains all over barcelona using an app called citymapper. It was phenomenal. If you like to save money and wanDer about use this app. We went everywhere for about 7 hours then did our food tour. It was nice however I could not relate to our tour guides philosophy regarding Americans working too much and his political opinions about the u.s. just tell us about food, ok?

Lol I digress. Anyway Sunday the 5th arrives. We woke up jogged outside for a 1/2 hour then had our delicious breakfast. Phenomenal pastries!! Made our way to pickup spot and were on our way around 11 am to the rhapsody. We checked in quickly as we were new platinums and there were about 1,000,000 diamond and above. We checked in and then checked right back out. We actually have never done this but we really wanted to go to Barceloneta beach. We found a bike rental shop and rode bikes until about 3 15 pm aND then made our way back. I would recommend that activity. Great paths. Good little bistros...

So now onto some observations. We have an inside cabin which is fine. I go for the ports. I don't care where I'm at. I've been in an owners suite, balcony...bottom line I go to my room to shower or sleep. The stateroom attendant is very nice. Bed is comfortable. We are on 2nd floor. Only complaint is the TV channels are awful. And no refrigerator in my room.

We got the Internet package beforehand. If you plan on Internet do this. If you have 2 people buy one device with streaming and one device without. YouTube for some reason came in great on non streaming.

We also purchased 4 night specialty dinner. My husband cannot sit still and he likes the windjammer for a quick grab and go. We have been eating a majority of our meals in windjammer because of this reason and we like the salad selection. Giovanni was good. Chops was excellent and we are going back tonight. Izumi was poor. Soup and salad good but my a in course of surf and turf on hot stone consisted of a 3 inch piece of steak and a 2 inch lobster tail for 24 dollars. No tea offered. We received water after the soup. The 2 times we ate at edelweiss they forgot my dinner and when I got it it was cold so we went back to windjammer.

I always found a chair at pool and solarium. No problem there. I think I saw the earliest ever chair hogging. I went to get a coffee at 5 am and a gentleman was setting up towels on four chairs. He did laugh with me.

I am a gym rat and I love getting up early to use the elliptical. I really prefer running but I don't like the movement for an hour on treadmill. Plus the walkers tend to hog the treadmills in the am. I do 2 a days so my husband and I do the elliptical in the am and I go back around 6 to run 3 miles. I run 10KS and 1/2 marathons hence why I really can't take a day off. The stretch class is mobbed as is the 10 am Zumba class in the centrum. This is great because hopefully rccl will take notice. Lots of people on outdoor track.

Entertainment is not my cup of tea. I don't like Broadway shows. I went to a juggling act which was OK and a violinist which was excellent.

Our port stops so far were lanzarote, gran canaria and la palma. We rented cars from cicar at all three. We had downloaded map of each island from Google maps and pinned areas we wanted to see. In lanzarote we went to playa papagayo beach and to timanfaya park. We were in port 10a to 6 pm so we went to the beach first and timanfaya around 130pm. If you ever do this go in the afternoon. We had no line. We took the bus around park:eek: and loved it. In gran canaria we were there 7 a to 6pm. We drove down to the maspalomas dunes and then drove over to a harbor where we did a whale watching excursion for 30 euros each. And yes we saw whales and dolphins. It was fantastic! In la palma we were there 7 a to 5p. We drove to the caldera first then to Los tilos then to Los canjacos beach. Wonderful scenery and some great photos that I will try to post later. May I add that it was easy to navigate these islands and if you do decide to rent a car here do it online and early if you need an automatic.

I will finish review later.

Thanks!

Just a quick question..... We're on the Brilliance OTS, about half way into our TA itinerary which is Barcelona - Cartagena - Malaga - Funchal - Basseterre - Tampa. RCI are offering a special 5 day sea day Surf & Stream internet package starting in Funchal, for $99.99, with the usual discounts applicable for diamond C&A members and above. Is a similar package being offered on your Rhapsody OTS TA cruise?

Thanks!

Just a quick question..... We're on the Brilliance OTS, about half way into our TA itinerary which is Barcelona - Cartagena - Malaga - Funchal - Basseterre - Tampa. RCI are offering a special 5 day sea day Surf & Stream internet package starting in Funchal, for $99.99, with the usual discounts applicable for diamond C&A members and above. Is a similar package being offered on your Rhapsody OTS TA cruise?

Haven't seen that one yet but then again I wouldn't be looking for it because I had a good wifi package. It was still cheaper before cruise with all the specials they had leading up to the cruise. I am platinum so i don't get any discounts yet (except may be laundry)

One more day until we land in Tampa. Yesterday we were supposed to land in coco cay but were unable to tender in. I really wish that when this happens rather than sailing aimlessly around, they have a backup plan for this type of situation like tender in port Canaveral or key west later in day or the next day. I guess they wouldn't have time to sell shore excursions. Before anyone chastises me, I was on 2 ships that could not dock in coco cay in the past and we docked in key West and I believe labadee which was on our way. One of these days I'll make it there...

My husband and I spent most of day watching movies in the Broadway theater which is a terrific idea. Just need some popcorn. We saw the dark tower and Logan lucky. Theater was pretty full. I think everyone likes this. Now if they could show NFL games on there on sundays.....

Last night at windjammer we were delighted by endless lobster tails. I did have a lol moment. A woman actually picked all of the shrimp out of the shrimp cerviche salad. My husband saw her plate piled high with shrimp. Ah well.

Tampa tomorrow...clearwater beach then dinner with family then eagles game at night. Flying back to Philadelphia early Monday am.

I liked the staff on this ship.

Not a big fan of edelweiss restaurant

Izumi was not good

Loved having coffee card. If you don't use it all you can use on next sailing.

Chops outstanding. Ate there 2x

Giovanni good

Windjammer had good salads

Gym always packed in am when I went except for today when one treadmill was open at 6am. Old equipment compared to my gym at home and to the jewel of the seas. Needs to be updated.

Love being in inside cabin. A lot of room and comfortable bed. Very quiet on my floor.

Guest services were very nice the 2x I went there with a question. Next cruise were very polite.

The library is very small with no English books. Bring your kindle and books!