Nighttime Wetting the Bed by Toddler

kelikea

My family and I are taking our son on his first cruise in February 2018. He'll turn three the day we sail. We've been potty training him since last weekend, and he's basically fully potty trained during the day. At night however, he wets the bed sometimes. I know on the cruise, he'll likely end up in our bed in between us. Does anyone have any experience with bed-wetting on cruises? Do you have your kids in pull-ups or something? How do you make it work?

I don't have experience with bed wetting on a cruise, but I do have experience with a child who couldn't go through the night until they were older. Basically he's a very heavy sleeper and would not wake up to go.

We tried everything including waking him up in the middle of the night to take him to the bathroom. After many many nights of having to change pjs and sheets we gave up trying to force it.

Just limit drinks before bed (our cut off is an hour). And just use pull ups. You will all sleep much better and save you having to deal with any mess, and saving your child from being embarrassed.

Honestly my son didn't care that he wore pull ups. He didn't think it made him a "baby". And it didn't make him regress in anyway. He was just happy to not have to wake up soaking wet and embarrassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our 4.5 yr year is full trained, including nights aside from the very rare occasion. For travel she wears a pull up at night. We don't have the luxury of having a washing machine on hand while we travel and it isn't fair for the next people to be sleeping on a peed on mattress. Our daughter has been trained for well over 1.5yrs and she still wears a pull up at night for travel.

Our daughter tends to only pee the bed when she is exhausted and sleeping deeper than usual, which would happen a lot more on vacation.

Even bringing a waterproof mattress protector doesn't really help. You still have bedding and pajamas soaked in urine and no where to wash them.

Try “Goodnites” pull ups. They are made for kids that are potty trained but can’t wake up at night. I used them with my 4 year old son on a cruise. They rarely leak. The other kinds of pull ups always did with him. Getting him up at night wasn’t much of an option because our schedule would vary on vacation and we had late seating for dinner—- there were times when he was wiped out and wouldn’t wake up.

We used the pull-ups on our kid when he was little

Probably the easiest thing to do.

Rubber sheets haven't been around since the early 70's..

Eddie used rubber sheets with Katherine in the RV on Christmas Vacation.

Try “Goodnites” pull ups. They are made for kids that are potty trained but can’t wake up at night. I used them with my 4 year old son on a cruise. They rarely leak. The other kinds of pull ups always did with him. Getting him up at night wasn’t much of an option because our schedule would vary on vacation and we had late seating for dinner—- there were times when he was wiped out and wouldn’t wake up.

The “Goodnites” pull ups worked very well for our granddaughter. She is a very hard sleeper and went through a spell where just didn’t wake up. Saved her from being embarrassed.

It's totally normal for kids to be potty trained in the day time and take a lot longer for nights. If he's ok with pull ups at night, I would suggest that. My daughter is almost 3, and she wears one at night. Most nights she wakes up sometime to use the bathroom, but sometimes she doesn't and the pull up is wet in the morning.

I suggest a soft nightlife be plugged in. It will help orient you should the child wake and want to go to the potty.

Most pads come in a package of two, if there is an accident I’d toss out the wet pad.

On the opposite side, we went cruising with my 88 year old Dad. Used the pads for peace of mind. Turned out Depends worked. The nightlife was for his use which is why I mentioned it to you.

Judy

The “Goodnites” pull ups worked very well for our granddaughter. .

These worked well for our GD also. We just took her in October and she just turned three. She is still working on potty training and was pretty good during the day. The Goodnites work great and some pads we slipped under the top sheet. The cabin attendant was great the few times we had to switch out sheets. We tipped him well for his trouble.

My 2.5 year old son is just newly potty trained and we plan on bringing pull ups with us for night time for our January cruise. Most mornings he wakes up dry but it takes a while before they know enough to wake up and go through the night. He wears a pull-up to bed just in case.

My special needs daughter wasn't fully night trained until she was much older - especially when really tired as they will be at the end of a cruise day. I brought Good Nites disposable bed mats and put them on top of the sheet - using two to make sure the appropriate area was fully covered. They have sticky corners so they hold in place and they keep the sheet and mattress dry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a pad and towel under the child. This allows absorbing towel to protect mattress. Then the towel can be replaced. Spoke to room steward who provided a bag in the bathroom so it was separate from wet floor towels. Exciting and busy cruise days may cause more accidents then normal so be prepared.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We brought adult incontinence bed pads (at pharmacy, big pack was cheap) and took pull ups. The Pull up was what we really used but the pad was a nice back up in case the diaper leaked. She co-sleeps too, so the extra protection was re-assuring.

Have fun!