Water resistant or water proof

kerry1379

I haven't seen a thread like this so my apologies if I over looked it.

I have an Alaskan cruise scheduled in June of 2018. I realized I don't really have a good coat for Alaska. (I live in Texas-my coats are pretty light.) In looking at coats, I find most are "water resistant." Is that adequate for Alaska? I know Ketchikan tends to get lots of rain. We also have an 8 hour glacier hike scheduled for Juneau. Will a "water resistant" coat do or, from your experiences, would a "waterproof" coat be better?

I have an Alaskan cruise scheduled in June of 2018. I realized I don't really have a good coat for Alaska. (I live in Texas-my coats are pretty light.) In looking at coats, I find most are "water resistant." Is that adequate for Alaska? I know Ketchikan tends to get lots of rain. We also have an 8 hour glacier hike scheduled for Juneau. Will a "water resistant" coat do or, from your experiences, would a "waterproof" coat be better?

It's been awhile (June 15,2010) sine we, my wife and I, did our inland passage Tracy's Arm cruise to Juneau,Skagway,Ketchikan but it was raining (misty gentle rain) in Ketchikan and I didn't even bring a coat, all I had was a hooded sweatshirt, So, if you can check out what to expect in regards to weather on that particular day you're there, you MIGHT want to consider a CHEAP roll up Wal-Mart poncho. Something that wouldn't take up much packing space and be discarded later. Just a thought. IMHO. Weather in Alaska be be VERY unpredictable, better to have it and NOT need it, then the opposite.;p

Mac

Water PROOF

My opinion is a jacket with a hood, not a poncho. I have had enough experience in bad weather in Alaska, wind blasting rain parallel to the ground, that I would never rely on a poncho.

I live in Texas too.

Get a waterproof jacket. We do use it and used it today.

The key is underneath it you could wear something to keep you warm if it is needed.

Definitely waterproof.

We have a North Face waterproof jacket.

Keith

If you happen to have a Columbia Outlet Store near you, you can get a waterproof coat there very reasonably. I got one Thanksgiving weekend for less than $40. It's not a heavy coat; I want to be able to layer there and also be able to use it at home (NC) any time it rains.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Forgive me, Ker for NOT adding, 'Have a FANTASTIC Cruise' ;p IF, this is your 1st Alaskan cruise be sure to take a camera AND extra batteries. Because you are about to see some the most BEAUTIFUL scenery in North America !! In ALL of our cruises, my wife STILL says, 'IF I could EVER do another cruise over, it'd be Alaska !! Hands down!

Mac

So much misinformation.

If you are planning to be active in that jacket, anything labeled "waterproof" should also be labeled "breathable." But, be prepared to shell out quite a bit of cash for something that specific.

Being active in something that is "only waterproof" will quickly find you as wet inside as it is outside.

Talk with someone at REI.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So much misinformation.

If you are planning to be active in that jacket, anything labeled "waterproof" should also be labeled "breathable." But, be prepared to shell out quite a bit of cash for something that specific.

Being active in something that is "only waterproof" will quickly find you as wet inside as it is outside.

Yes, there is misinformation. "Miracle" fabrics do not work in high humidity environments. It was originally thought that Goer-Tex had been designed for the alpine as it really only worked well in dry environments. You can only move moisture from a higher concentration to a lower concentration so if it's raining and humid outside, it has to be raining harder and more humid inside your jacket to work. Breathablity does decrease as the fabric gets wetter ..... how's that working for you?

You do need waterproof. Whatever t-shirt you are wearing now could be sold as "water resistant". Look for ventilation. I have a Marmot and a NorthFace jacket that have "pit - zips", underarm zippered openings to regulate heat and moisture.

Yes, there is misinformation. "Miracle" fabrics do not work in high humidity environments. It was originally thought that Goer-Tex had been designed for the alpine as it really only worked well in dry environments. You can only move moisture from a higher concentration to a lower concentration so if it's raining and humid outside, it has to be raining harder and more humid inside your jacket to work. Breathablity does decrease as the fabric gets wetter ..... how's that working for you?

You do need waterproof. Whatever t-shirt you are wearing now could be sold as "water resistant". Look for ventilation. I have a Marmot and a NorthFace jacket that have "pit - zips", underarm zippered openings to regulate heat and moisture.

As I said previously, "if you plan to be active, think twice about "waterproof" (which is fine if all you're doing is climbing on/off a bus).

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear.html

The Columbia jacket I got is breathable waterproof and was reasonable at the outlet. here's the link on the Columbia page (I did not pay what they are asking!):

https://www.columbia.com/womens-arcadia-ii-jacket---plus-size-RW2436.html?cgid=technology-omniTech&dwvar_RW2436_variationColor=010#prefn1=bigTall&prefv1=Women's+Plus&start=0

My sister used hers yesterday delivering the mail in the rain and said it worked great.

Yes! Thank you! :) (y)

As I said previously, "if you plan to be active, think twice about "waterproof" (which is fine if all you're doing is climbing on/off a bus).

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear.html

from your reference "Transferring sweat vapor through a shell happens in part because the warm, moist air inside is attracted to colder, relatively drier air outside. "

SE is a rainforest, we have fog, often persistent rain, and high humidity. Breathable fabrics do not function well in high humidity rain forests.

from your reference "Transferring sweat vapor through a shell happens in part because the warm, moist air inside is attracted to colder, relatively drier air outside. "

SE is a rainforest, we have fog, often persistent rain, and high humidity. Breathable fabrics do not function well in high humidity rain forests.

I bow to your local knowledge.

Here's what I can tell you (from personal experience) as an Infantryman in Viet Nam and then in Europe: There is nothing worse than being "wet". It can put one helluva damper on a vacation and no one wants that.

Basically, go the "extra mile" and do the waterproof thing. And do NOT forget to take "layers". As I understand it (My Sister lives in Anchorage) it will rain for a couple of hours - the sun will come out for a couple of hours - then it will rain for a couple more hours. In short - forewarned is forearmed. You can always take a layer or two off if the temp goes up....

For my Alaska cruise, I purchased a Charles River brand waterproof rain jacket. It is vented and kept me nice and dry. Another important consideration is footwear – if you can find water-resistant shoes, bring them. In any case, bring at least two pairs of walking shoes in case one gets wet. You also might want to consider some quick-dry pants for those really rainy days. The last thing you want to get stuck in is wet jeans that take forever to dry! I would also carry a waterproof backpack with some sort of fleece layer such as a sweatshirt or hoodie for layering.

Sent from my iPad using Forums