Navigator cabin selection

sanne

I'm thinking about a cruise on the Navigator. Would like a balcony and to be mid ships. A standard sized cabin is fine too. Can you help me with my decision?

I've heard about the vibration problems and that is of concern to me. What should I be aware of?

Thanks for any help in making my decision.

If your cruise has a lot of tender ports, be aware that you will likely hear the anchor dropping and drawing in the forward cabins (at least on the lower decks--I have no experience on the upper decks). That being said,it's rarely a problem because the Nav can dock in many ports where others must anchor, and it really is only for a couple of minutes. But it can awaken you on an early morning arrival.

The vibration is also more noticeable when Navigator is traveling near her top cruising speed; it's much less noticeable if she's traveling slower. So if your cruise has a lot of ports in close proximity it will be less of an issue.

Still, if you're bothered by the vibration (luckily, I'm not) and the associated rattling it causes (I am a little) then you're better off more midship. But not under the pool deck...

I have had great experiences in Cat D on Deck 7 & 8. On deck 7 would suggest any room between 718-731 on 8 you can go from about 818- to 2/3rds of the way to the back. I have also stayed on 6 in an E between 621-631. My issue with 6 is you are closer to the water and your balcony gets more spray, while 7 and 8 are usually above it. I will be in 727 for 24 days in 2019. I am one of the people that either never notices the vibration or is not bothered by it. As Bill points out, it is more of an issue at times, rather than a constant. I think swells are a bigger concern to most people and lower is usually better for that.

I think swells are a bigger concern to most people and lower is usually better for that.

I'd agree with that - we had 30' seas on Navigator once when we were forward on Deck 8...we were rockin' and rollin', but not as bad as my in-laws who were way forward on Deck 10. Heh heh heh - they sure had a bit of a ride. :')

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. At this stage I have a choice of cabins so am thinking about 627. Any down sides to this location apart from the spray? We are Regent cruisers but not familiar with the Navigator. I’ve been reading the posts and it seems you either love this ship or you’d never again sail on it. But then again we didn’t care for the Explorer so maybe the Navigator will be a good fit for us.

Can't offer first-hand experience (have only sailed on decks 8, 9, and 10 on Navigator) but I think you'd need to factor in your itinerary, how much you like being on the balcony, what the weather should be like, etc.

I think that looks like a good location; convenient to the common areas but not too close, should be pretty stable.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. At this stage I have a choice of cabins so am thinking about 627. Any down sides to this location apart from the spray? We are Regent cruisers but not familiar with the Navigator. I’ve been reading the posts and it seems you either love this ship or you’d never again sail on it. But then again we didn’t care for the Explorer so maybe the Navigator will be a good fit for us.

Sanne, we are currently sailing on the Navigator to Hawaii in stateroom 616 which is a window only room. Zero vibration and minimal movement even though we are a bit forward. Room size is 300+ sq. ft...same as the veranda suites but no balcony. Very comfortable and well appointed. This is our first cruise on the Navigator after sailing on the Explorer last December and a number of cruises on the Mariner and Voyager. With just over 400 on board there are many advantages to this ship. You are literally steps away from everywhere. I can see that this would be a high point for those with any kind of disability. Staff and service superb. Food on par with all the other ships which of course is excellent. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Dennis

sanne,

Suite 627 would be a great choice. We have cruised on the Navigator several times and have learned that the row of suites of which 627 is part are great for avoiding vibration in your suite. We had suites in other locations, but they were nowhere near as smooth as that row of odd numbered suites on deck 6.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm for the Navigator. Just what I hoped to hear. I will have no hesitation now to go ahead with my booking.

FWIW, we’ve sailed Navigator more than any other Regent ship and she’s still fantastic, especially after her recent renovation. I think I like Explorer just a wee bit more, but Navigator is at least my second favorite. She’s got a certain charm. I wouldn’t hesitate one second to book another cruise on her. Enjoy!!

We have never cruised the Expolrer, and never will until they lower their fares for decent suites --which probably means never. But on the Navigator, suite 627 is a great choice. Zero vibrations in the suite. But there may well be vibrations in the CR, and may me major vibrations in the theatre. Those are the problems. The benefits are that it is a smaller ship, and that is always a good thing for us.

Agree with others that 627 is a great choice. I love the Nav, and prefer deck 6. You are close to the Navigator Lounge (which we refer to as our living room) and the the Coffee Connection (in case you're a caffeine hound like me). And, sorry for the slight indelicacy, but you're close to the public toilets, in case an urgent need arises and your cabin-mate is occupying the bathroom in the cabin. Plus, you are mid-ship and down low, minimizing any potential issues with vibration, anchor noise, or general motion of the ocean.

We have never cruised the Expolrer, and never will until they lower their fares for decent suites --which probably means never. But on the Navigator, suite 627 is a great choice. Zero vibrations in the suite. But there may well be vibrations in the CR, and may me major vibrations in the theatre. Those are the problems. The benefits are that it is a smaller ship, and that is always a good thing for us.

DB - not to get too far OT, but what do you consider 'decent suites'? We've stayed in D and F cabins on Explorer and wouldn't hesitate to do an F again. In fact, I think the F cabins are the best bang-for-the-buck on Explorer. Do you usually book higher-level (i.e. 'named') suites? I'm curious as I never really price cabins above the PH level...

Thanks!

Edited by UUNetBill
Typo

Bill,

Off subject but . . . .How do I comment about the Explorer cabin I was in for the TA crossing? It was fine - no noise but I wanted to say so since there were some others which were not the same. Do I email you (don't know the address) of what?

TIA . . .

Peggy

Bill, we consider decent suites as those that have 300 sq ft plus balcony. That's all, nothing too fancy. Problem is, on the Mariner, you have to go for a penthouse to get that -- but then it is bit more than needed --and a bit more costly too. Suite 627 on the Navigatot meets these requiremvets without breaking the bank too much.

Bill,

Off subject but . . . .How do I comment about the Explorer cabin I was in for the TA crossing? It was fine - no noise but I wanted to say so since there were some others which were not the same. Do I email you (don't know the address) of what?

TIA . . .

Peggy

Peggy - the easiest and quickest way is to post in the Suiteguru sticky at the top of the page. I'll get a notification and then make the updates. It's a bit easier for me if you can use the template that's linked in the first post, but it's not critical. The more information I have to put in the spreadsheets, the better.

Thanks!!

Bill, we consider decent suites as those that have 300 sq ft plus balcony. That's all, nothing too fancy. Problem is, on the Mariner, you have to go for a penthouse to get that -- but then it is bit more than needed --and a bit more costly too. Suite 627 on the Navigatot meets these requiremvets without breaking the bank too much.

Yeah, the standard Mariner suites are a bit tight...but that's why I was asking - you can get over 300 sq ft in the F cabins on Explorer and they only run a few hundred more than the G and H on most shorter itineraries. Much less of an upcharge than going to a PH on Mariner, and the F cabins are nice on Explorer. I didn't think they were overly expensive when you compare them to other D, E, and F cabins on the other ships...

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack. I'm done. :D