Wildlife park: Caversham, Perth or Cleland, Adelaide?

sjf

We have a few days pre-cruise in Perth next March and will also have a port stop for a day in Adelaide.

Of course, we want to see kangaroos, koalas, wombats, etc.

Is there anyone that has visited both Caversham Wildlife Park and Cleland? Is one better than the other? Easier to get to?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure about Adelaide but Caversham is lovely, you get to pat the koalas, go into their enclosure and have photo's next to them etc. You get to touch lots of other animals which you don't get to do at some of the other animal parks. Caversham is also in Whiteman park which has other attractions to see.

I took a friend from Germany to Caversham when she was here and she said it was fantastic.

If you are hiring a car Caversham is easy to get to, it's not easy to hop on a train and get there though. Lots of tour companies go there.

I have not been to Cleland, but I've been to Caversham in 2003.

It might have changed, but when I was there I cannot remember seeing Koalas.

I know for sure that you meet Kangoroos and can pet and feed them.

And I could hold a big wombat in my lap.

As I remember it was not that big, so you could see and do everything within a couple of hours, but that might have changed in the 14 years as well...

You can touch the koalas.. you don't get to hold them but you can paf them.

There's other animals you get to hold though

Have been to Cleland many years ago but not the other one. Cleland was very nice, however I LOVE Adelaide so I’d visit the city instead. But some people say I’m crazy about loving Adelaide so don’t necessarily listen to me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi again; I was a month ago for my second visit since 2003 in Perth (but just for 3 nights).

Caversham is nice, but it's still a "Zoo", so paddocks and cages.

If you have enough time and like to experience "real" wildlife; you might consider making a trip to Rottnest Island. On this small Island you'll find Quakkas (small Kangaroos) roaming free. There are 10'000 living only on this Island and nowhere else. They are mainly nocturnal, but around the village where the ferry lands, are also during the day some of them always around.

(also if you're lucky you might spot some dolphins on your way from the mainland to the Island)

I was JUST going to suggest a trip to Rotnest Island.

It is STUNNING . Rent a bicycle and ride around. It is really really nice there.

And then the wineries if Margaret River, south of Perth (or the Barossa Valley, about an hour out of Adelaide)!!!!

I'm sitting here in Abu Dhabi and am homesick for Australia. 🙂

Thanks.

Another day trip option from Perth that we've been thinking about is to see the Pinnacles. We'd go with a tour company. Any recommendations? Is it worth the long drive?

Not in my eyes; it's a nice place as a stopp if you're anyway on your way up North, but just do drive there and back to see the place it's not worth the money and the time to see "just" that:

1910046_57239484739_2608_n.jpg?oh=b14e625a351c79dbe35bb54b72f6be46&oe=5AC8FA22