Acapulco

caribbean52010

Heard some disturbing news about some drug related killings in Acapulco recently (12 killed, some taxi drivers, some tourist). Not sure what happened but was wondering if Acapulco is a destination to be avoided?

Has anyone heard anything new about Acapulco? Safest place to go?

Thanks

Bob

Heard some disturbing news about some drug related killings in Acapulco recently (12 killed, some taxi drivers, some tourist). Not sure what happened but was wondering if Acapulco is a destination to be avoided?

Thanks

Bob

You may get a bunch or different answers like well, people are being killed in the US everyday so what's the difference. The twelve people that you mentioned were killed in one day in separate incidents. There are shootings occurring on a daily basis in Acapulco. Since Barbie's arrest, there is a turf war going on for control of the area.

Here are the facts. No tourists from cruise ships have been killed in these attacks yet. Most of the killings have happened at night. Unfortunately, some of the shootings have occurred during daylight hours in the middle of the Costera (the main road) and innocent bystanders have been hit or killed. Some of the shootings have occurred across the street from where Cici's water park is located which is Colonia Costa Azul which is also on the Costera.

Lately, they have been shooting children. We are not talking collateral damage here. We are talking 2-12 year old children that been shot (double tap) center mass while hidding inside vehicles, businesses, or residences.

Now here is my take. I lived in Acapulco on and off for 12 years. The last time I was in Acapulco was a little over a year ago for a visit. A week after I left, there was a shootout right in front where we would gather in the afternoons to have coffee with friends. Innocent bystanders died during this incident. This happened right on the Costera near the Diana monument.

Under the current situation, I will not go back to Acapulco. Regardless of my opinion, the final decision is up to you.

We were in Acapulco in November. We walked from the ship to the beach and other than the pesty taxi drivers had no problem.....oh, other than when I walked away from my husband for a while and upon walking back saw him being solicited by a prostitute :eek:

There were 10 killed yesterday at a dance/strip club according to our news paper this am. Men/girls, young/old....really sad as 6 were killed just the other day in this city we have visited several times.

Just returned from 2 weeks and while I would not live in Acapulco with all this going on my 2 weeks were as normal and uneventful as always. I have noticed that 99% of all the craziness going on takes place after midnight and while many incidents have indeed been in or around the main tourist area none have involved foreign tourist.

In reference to La Barbie (cartel leader) his death sparked a major turf battle amongst rivals and this unfortunately will continue for the forseeable future. Cruisers get no more then a city tour of some cool spots and your just not going to see any of this stuff that is transpiring right now. I was out and about the entire city for the 2 weeks and didn't feel the slightest difference then in past years other then a significant decrease in tourist which is sad.

The resort Villa Vera has recently layed off 20 long time employees as a sign of the times. This place had as much history as anyplace in the city I hope they can survive this.

I would seriously do your research if planning a trip to Acapulco...here is a list of recent activity in the city:

2/23/2011

Acapulco – Two dismembered males found on street. Bodies cut into 14 pieces. Three Narco messages:

Acapulco (Colonia Libertad) – Two unidentified males executed

Acapulco-Zihuatanejo Highway – Unidentified male executed/dismembered along highway

Acapulco-Zihuatanejo Highway – Unidentified male executed along highway. Hands and feet tied/fingers cut off

02/24/2011

Acapulco – Unidentified female/two males executed and placed in trunk of vehicle. One male dismembered.

02/25/2011

Acapulco – Unidentified dismembered body found. Body parts placed inside 5 plastic bags

Acapulco – Gunmen attack Traffic police officers, killing one and wounding another

03/01/2011

Acapulco – Municipal Police Officer executed. Victim: Emilio Ramos Peralta (50)

03/02/2011

Acapulco - Jorge Luis Quevedo Medina (36) kidnapped/executed

03/04/2011

􀂾 Acapulco - Two narco banners found in city signed by Sinaloa Cartel.

03/07/2011

Acapulco - Human head found near the Maxitúnel. Narco message:

Acapulco -Unidentified male found tortured/executed/tied with rope inside residence

Acapulco - Gabriel Morlet Campos (35) executed outside "Oceanic 2000" hotel

03/08/2011

Acapulco – Gunmen attack two residences belonging to a police officer and Police

Commander

Acapulco – Three human heads found at Maxitunel. Narco Messages:

Acapulco – Architect, Juan Gabriel Morlet Campos executed while gunmen try to kidnap him. Juan Morlet is the step-son of Jaime Zeferino Torreblanca, the cousin of outgoing governor, Zeferino Torreblanca Galindo.

Acapulco (Colonia Emiliano Zapata) - Gunmen aboard taxis attack headquarters of

Preventive Police with weapons.

Acapulco – Unidentified male found executed next to vehicle

03/09/2011

Acapulco – Dismembered body found inside six bags. Body was thrown onto the street between hotels, Emporio y Playa Suite in the tourist area. Finger cut off and placed inside mouth. NARCO MESSAGE:

03/10/2011

Acapulco -Zihuatanejo federal highway – Unidentified male found executed

Acapulco (colonia Las Ollas) – Unidentified male found executed

Acapulco – Three unidentified executed on street

03/15/2011

Acapulco - Unidentified male executed. Body wrapped in plastic

03/16/2011

Acapulco (Simon Bolivar) - Gunmen fire weapons at residence. Carmela Benitez García(70) killed while protecting grandchildren and Beatriz Villa Benítez and a 20 day old babywounded.

Acapulco (Benito Juarez) - Two unidentified males found executed in back of taxi along highway.

Acapulco (Colonia Jose Lopez Portillo) - Three males executed outside residence. Residence next door attacked by gunmen with a grenade. Victims: Ignacio Alemán Vargas (37) and his son Ignacio Alemán Montealban (15) and Enrique Salgado Pita (23)

Acapulco (Colonia Libertad) - Dismembered body found near Federal Police Headquarters. Narco MESSAGE:

"Since Barbie's arrest..."

Sorry for my ignorance, but who si Barbie? I am also planning a cruise touching Acapulco...:o

After the head of the Leyva cartel was killed in a shootout with the Mexican military, Edgar Valdez Villarreal aka La Barbie (who was actually born and raise in Laredo, Texas) took over the Cartel that operates in a vast area that includes Acapulco.

la_barbie_103742098.jpg

We just got off the Coral Princess two weeks ago in Acapulco. Had a private tour lined up, he picked us up right outside the gate, went to the Flamingo Hotel, Diego Rivera mural, lunch at a restaurant on the beach, cliff divers, and the Chapel of Peace. Our guide dropped us off at the Fiesta American. Walked down the street that night for dinner. Never once did we feel uncomfortable or that our life was in danger. Just use common sense and stay out of certain areas, especially at night. Just like in any big city. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Acapulco and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

After the head of the Leyva cartel was killed in a shootout with the Mexican military, Edgar Valdez Villarreal aka La Barbie (who was actually born and raise in Laredo, Texas) took over the Cartel that operates in a vast area that includes Acapulco.

la_barbie_103742098.jpg

Thank you for the clarification!

Thanks

Bob

Here's a site you may want to check:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42163733/ns/world_news-americas

There was a gunfight between Army, Marines and "bad guys" last night in Acapulco. In the heart of one of the most popular tourist neighborhoods. At and across the street from Playa Manzanillo - between the Zocalo and the Caleta neighborhood. The "Traditional Zone" of Acapulco. The hour-long gun battle could be heard where the cruise ships berth, had any been in town. Tourists were walking the beach and streetfront areas when the gunfight broke out. All of this happened across the street and on the sidewalk in front of the building where I rent an apartment when I'm in Acapulco. Such gunfights aren't uncommon in the tourist areas of Acapulco, and it's not possible to predict when or where they occur or if you'll be at risk or not.

Here's a link to one report on the battle:

http://www.agoraguerrero.com/article-balacera-en-playa-manzanillo-paraliza-la-zona-70357271.html

A further elaboration on my post from last evening, about the firefight in Acapulco. The hour-long confrontation actually took place in a building where I often rented an apartment in past years, but different than the one I rented, almost next door, last trip. The building where the military were involved has many foreigners, foreign tourists as owners or seasonal residents and the fishing charter boats across the street see a lot of tourist activity. Persons on their way to see the cliffdivers frequently pass in the middle, on the roadway, where the military was shooting when they travel by taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading about all the problems Acapulco is having I think we're going to cancel our upcoming ship's tour. Really don't think I'd enjoy it anyway since I'd be worried the complete time. I know others have visited and more will but I'd prefer to save the cost of the tour and not worry during the 4 hours but use it as another day aboard ship. Others may not agree as yes, things happen everywhere but when you read all that's been happening there lately I'd prefer not to tour with our kids.

Perhaps this is not a good first post but it needs to be said.

I live in Acapulco and it is a wonderful and very unique destination. The flowers are amazing, the sand is inviting on the beaches, the people are wonderful and hard working.

So what is the downside? The truth listed in message #7 above. Since message #7 was written much more killing has happened. These are not isolated incidents happening far and away from Acapulco. Many incidents are happening directly on the Costera (Main Street) in the heart of tourism, in broad daylight.

Several heads were found near Walmart about 3 weeks ago. Dismembered bodies in plastic garbage bags have been thrown in the streets like yesterdays trash, children are often the first to find the evidence.

The Municipal Police force is useless and most often involved. I have Narcos selling in front of my house and no matter how many times the police are notified, they do nothing. Police involvement is a much greater crime against the citizens of Mexico.

I do not feel comfortable sitting on the beaches because of my white skin. Immediately I am a target of extortion by the Municipal and Tourist Police (It has happened 3 times).

The police make grand passes with the military, state, ministerial and municipal police forces during the day, they just passed my house. Where were they last night when a Narco began peddling cocaine in front of my house? Actually the Military was only blocks away, the Municipal police passed him several times and collectively they did NOTHING even after being called 3 times.

I do not want to tell people not to visit Mexico. I want to say, it is really nice. What I want to say is not what needs to be said. At this time every tour has to pass drug sales points. This is very dangerous. There is no way to avoid the Zocalo, Condesa, 18 de Marzo, Colonia Progreso and have a trip in Acapulco. No zone is safe currently, gun fire can erupt at any second and without warning.

• 2 weeks later...

When I wrote the comment above on 04/14/2011 I had no water pressure for several months and had narcos selling in front of my house.

Promptly after posting the above comment (within 24 hours) I had amazing water pressure and no more narco selling dope in front of my house.

Unfortunately the Novedades (Acapulco newspaper) had a picture of the narco face down and dead in another neighborhood. The dope sellers seem to have a short career span, I wish they would wise up especially since most are only teens or young adults.

However as an update, many more killings have happened since my last post. Still many are happening in the tourist area. One that made international news were 5 women brutally murdered near the Zocalo. They owned and operated a beauty salon.

I want to say, come on down the water is warm! I can't say that. The situation here is volatile.

We would no longer go to Acapulco. The reason is that the city has a major crime problem (not just drug related) and this can always spill-over into the safer tourist/hotel zones. There are many fine places to visit in the world (including within Mexico) but this city no longer should be considered a decent tourist destination. In Acapulco, just dealing with the taxis can be a nasty experience.

Hank

The cruises we have been on have canceled stops in Acapulco. If they had not, we would have stayed on board the ship. There is too much violence there and we know that as tourists we not only stick out but also that we are less familiar where to go.

Keith

The cruises we have been on have canceled stops in Acapulco. If they had not, we would have stayed on board the ship. There is too much violence there and we know that as tourists we not only stick out but also that we are less familiar where to go.

Keith

Cruise ships are still stopping in Acapulco. Not as many as in prior years, but some still stop. They're longer itineraries - particularly ones passing through the Panama Canal. There are indeed problems in Acapulco, but the cruise lines think, for example, the problems in Mazatlan are far more serious. That says a lot about what's been happening to Mazatlan.

Gomexico is absolutely correct. I can see the port from my house and there are very few ships arriving as compared to past years. When ships do arrive there seem to be very few people leaving the port in comparison to past years.

I stand behind what I stated in my above post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28764242&postcount=15

With all of the recent violence I do not recommend stopping in Acapulco at this time, too much is happening on the Costera. Locals are living in fear and that is always a good indication of a bad situation.

A further elaboration on my post from last evening, about the firefight in Acapulco. The hour-long confrontation actually took place in a building where I often rented an apartment in past years, but different than the one I rented, almost next door, last trip. The building where the military were involved has many foreigners, foreign tourists as owners or seasonal residents and the fishing charter boats across the street see a lot of tourist activity. Persons on their way to see the cliffdivers frequently pass in the middle, on the roadway, where the military was shooting when they travel by taxi.

Thanks for the location. It has been many years since we were in Acapulco, but wechartered a fishing boat, not very good boat, but we caught a sail, saw where the cliff divers do their thing and had a nice ride.

DW, our college age son and I were there 3 days and opted not to go back.

RE: Corrupt police, another post. The pay is very small and the dealers offer them more money or a bullet in the head. Which would you choose?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the location. It has been many years since we were in Acapulco, but wechartered a fishing boat, not very good boat, but we caught a sail, saw where the cliff divers do their thing and had a nice ride.

DW, our college age son and I were there 3 days and opted not to go back.

RE: Corrupt police, another post. The pay is very small and the dealers offer them more money or a bullet in the head. Which would you choose?

That's a copout. In the United States, the dealers also make more money that the law enforcement officers. Officers here in the US are often threatened as well. Having said that, do you see the same level of corruption here in the US as you do in Mexico?

So to answer your question, I would choose integrity.

I agree with dforeigner there is no excuse for the police to be criminals. I know many who are honest and work other jobs to make a better living. Supporting drug dealers is criminal no matter how you look at it.

I encourage anyone thinking about a visit to Acapulco or Mexico to read this entire topic. There is much to be learned and it could save your life.

27 Killed, 14 Headless Bodies Found in Acapulco MAY 8

5 killed in Acapulco shootout MAY 30

There have been many more murders that have gone unreported recently.

Stories are always getting buried in the news and others will tell you everything is just fine, no worries.

Be careful and only trust the news and your survival instincts.

The people of Acapulco are afraid to leave their houses at night and the streets become eerily silent. Drug dealers are still selling openly on the streets and the police are still protecting them.

The drug war is a joke of epic proportions. The military shoots the bad guys that the Municipal police are protecting. It is as if the Government is fighting a war with itself.

Archived