My Friend Mario and the Embera Indian Village

gordons4

We are scheduled to go with My Friend Mario on the river/waterfall/Embera Indian village excursion.

On the website and in the email he sent to us it states: "Also, BE READY TO GET WET, please wear your swimming suits, bring towel, water shoes(do not bring open sandals or flip flops), because the path could be slippery and it will make very difficult to walk and even cause you any accident or injury. Some dry cloth is recommendable in case you need them."

Could someone who has been on this tour explain this please? Is the getting wet part only during the hike to the waterfall? Did you wear bathing suit under your clothes? Also, we were thinking of wearing hiking sandals rather than water shoes, but it states not to wear open sandals.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sheri

We are scheduled to go with My Friend Mario on the river/waterfall/Embera Indian village excursion.

On the website and in the email he sent to us it states: "Also, BE READY TO GET WET, please wear your swimming suits, bring towel, water shoes(do not bring open sandals or flip flops), because the path could be slippery and it will make very difficult to walk and even cause you any accident or injury. Some dry cloth is recommendable in case you need them."

Could someone who has been on this tour explain this please? Is the getting wet part only during the hike to the waterfall? Did you wear bathing suit under your clothes? Also, we were thinking of wearing hiking sandals rather than water shoes, but it states not to wear open sandals.

Sheri

We are scheduled for this tour also and are wondering the same

Gail and Nels

We did this same tour 1.5 years ago. We did swim at the waterfall area, and our feet got a little wet on the boat ride to the Indian Village. My brother wore water sandles and did fine, although some of the terrain is rocky, so make sure that your shoes have good traction and be cautious with open toes. This was a great excursion - you will enjoy it!!

We did this same tour 1.5 years ago. We did swim at the waterfall area, and our feet got a little wet on the boat ride to the Indian Village. My brother wore water sandles and did fine, although some of the terrain is rocky, so make sure that your shoes have good traction and be cautious with open toes. This was a great excursion - you will enjoy it!!

Thank you for the info. Will now pack my water shoes.

Gail and Nels

Sheri

Like you Sheri, Marge and I had the same thoughts on this tour. Glad you asked the question, as we were planning on wearing hiking sandals, but they are open toed. We have worn them before on tours that suggest you wear tennis shoes and we did fine. But every tour is different. They didn't work for us climbing the ruins of Coba in Mexico. Wish I had tennis shoes then.

Marge is planning on wearing her swim suit under clothing but I was planning on wearing a swim suit and t shirt with a pair of dry shorts to change after the water falls. But I have no clue what to expect.

I am not planning on taking our aqua socks or tennis shoes, but if I need to, I will pack them. I guess we will see when we get there LOL.

Bob

We went on this about 4 weeks ago. We could not go to the waterfall as it was too dry. - Hard to explain, you'll see when you are there as you pass the entrance when on the river. As to getting wet, well, if you are one of the first two in the canoe count on being absolutely soaked. It is described as a canoe ride but it is a motorized longboat that speeds across a lake for nearly an hour. Luckily it was warm because there were times that we could not even see. Of course we laughed the whole time but, to be honest, we were glad to get there. Of course, then there was the ride back... We had a young girl from the village who was bailing the last half hour. We enjoyed the excursion very much but its description is not quite what you get.

Archived