Martini's

cluffsb

Different Types of Martini's?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Different Types of Martini's?

Hi:)there are more than just fruity or strong...there is savory too;)

and really each drink has its own flavor. I like a lot of different ones

(depending on my mood) and what I feel like drinking. I didn't vote.

Example...there is an Xpressotini....its delicious..it is smooth but

not too strong.

The French Martini is one of my alltime favorites and it is the sweet

category BUT not overly so.

Now, if you ask the Martini Purist they will tell you none of these are

martinis. Gin/Vodka/olives/onions/vermouth would be real ones.

But since there are no drink police I would say call them whatever you

like:D;)

Hi:)there are more than just fruity or strong...there is savory too;)

and really each drink has its own flavor. I like a lot of different ones

(depending on my mood) and what I feel like drinking. I didn't vote.

Example...there is an Xpressotini....its delicious..it is smooth but

not too strong.

The French Martini is one of my alltime favorites and it is the sweet

category BUT not overly so.

Now, if you ask the Martini Purist they will tell you none of these are

martinis. Gin/Vodka/olives/onions/vermouth would be real ones.

But since there are no drink police I would say call them whatever you

like:D;)

A Martini is just as it was posted "Gin/Vodka/Olives/Onions/Vermouth" and can be either stirred or shaken.

I think almost everyone is familiar with the Martini Glass. There are so many varouis drinks served in a Martini Glass and they call them a Martini but the coctail glass (Martini Glass) is all that is in common with a true Martini.

My favorite is a "007". It is half gin, half vodka, olives, no vermouth and shaken, not stirred.

The true "007 is with Tanquray Gin and Skky vodka, but I use different combinations. Bombay Sapphire Gin and Stoli or Bombay Shapphire and Grey Goose. But the key is it must be well chilled, I often chill my glass first (fill with water and ice cubes prior to filling the glass).

I keep the Vodka in the freezer.

I like Garlic stuffed olives. I sometimes get the Garlic and Jalapeno stuffed. The Jalapeno by itself it too overpowering and miss the good flavor of the Martini. I have had the blue cheese stuffed olives, but the blue chesse doesn't hold up well in the olive.

Can't wait to be aboard and see how they make a "007". I enjoy having one before dinner. After dinner drinks are something else LOL.

Bob

Ok, It depends...are you wanting to taste a REAL MARTINI? I believe that was the original question.

Or, if you're wanting to taste some fun froufrou drink that's called a martini that's ok, but that's something else.:rolleyes:

If you want to taste a martini (they weren't quite correct above) it consists of only 3 things: gin, vermouth, and olives. Anything else is NOT a MARTINI. If it has vodka then it is a VODKA MARTINI (or the original name KANGAROO).

Some say a twist of lemon instead of an olive.

So, if you want to taste a real Martini, 3 ingredients:

4 oz gin

1 oz dry vermouth (dry is clear, sweet is red)

(I prefer 1/2 oz (or less) dry vermouth, the less vermouth means the more dry it is.

Olives- Solid, or pimento (not stuffed with bleu cheese or anything else)

(I also keep my gin and vodkas in the freezer)

Pour gin and vermouth over ice- smaller chunks of ice is better.

strain into cocktail glass (martini glass) add olives (1-3)

(strain means to pour while preventing ice from getting in the glass)

(please don't order it "on the rocks" which means over ice)

It's strong, it's all alcohol except for the small quantity of water that's melted off the ice, that is critical to the flavor of a martini. If you want it "dirty" add a couple of drops of olive juice.

That's it. That will give you the taste of a real martini.

Lot's of great gins: Hendrick's(Scottish with hints of cucumbers and rose petals), and botanical gins like Tanqueray #10 or Bombay Sapphire are top examples.

Favorite dry vermouth: M&R (Martini & Rossi)

And I love those giant queen olives (cheapest at Costco)

I've done countless martini parties, given classes on tastings, and end my day with a 6 pm very dry, martini, straight up, as does my wife of 41 years. We find it's a great way to end the day, together.:)

Or, if you are on a ship that has a Martini Bar (I'm on the Eclipse, Apr 16th) you can try the 32 drinks they refer to as "martinis. They're all fun, no matter what you call them.;)

I like both and I like them both strong, so haven't voted.

My favourites are pomegranate martinis and apple martinis. Don't like sweet or creamy ones much. I tried a dirty martini unknowingly at the Captain's party on Princess- it was the only thing left on the tray. It tasted like stagnant pond water :(

What YOU call a martini is your business.

What I call a martini is

Muddled fruit: no sugar added

Vodka: usually, but not limited to, Grey Goose

Twist of lime or lemon

Shaken, not stirred

OR

Vodka

2 shots espresso

1 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

Shaken, not stirred

I like both and I like them both strong, so haven't voted.

My favourites are pomegranate martinis and apple martinis. Don't like sweet or creamy ones much. I tried a dirty martini unknowingly at the Captain's party on Princess- it was the only thing left on the tray. It tasted like stagnant pond water :(

I like the pomegrante martinis and also make a great apple martini. They are both great. And like you, I cannot stand to drink a dirty martini. Ruins the flavor. But then again its like wine, everyone has a different taste. One wine (Martini) may taste good to one person and terrible to another. There is no right or wrong, just what a person likes.

I don't like my martini's with vermouth, but some do. I like garlic olives, some don't. There is no bad martini, well there's one bad one, the one that gets spilled and doesn't get drank.

Enjoy sampling a maritini or what ever the drink might be.

Enjoy

I agree that a real MARTINI is just gin & vermouth with a couple of olives.

However, in todays world of everything has to have some other kind of flavor I'll go on record to say anything that's included with gin, vodka or flavored vodka and is placed in a martini glass is still a MARTINI.

See ya at The Martini Bar on Equinox. :D

2mc

<Charter Member of The Miami Martini Bar Gang> :p

Now-a-days it seems anything served in a Martini glass is called a Martini...

I like the original versions (gin or vodka with either olives or a lemon twist; with an onion it's called a Gibson), but I'm okay with folks calling other combos (or cosmos) a martini, too! One of my favs: one part fresh squeezed lemon juice, one part simple syrup, one part vanilla vodka and one part regular vodka. Shake with lots of ice until frothy, and strain into a martini glass: voila! Lemon Drop Martini! Yum!

A real martini --- gin and a bit of vermouth --- is very strong. It's pure alcohol. You have to like gin to like a real martini. I personally hate gin so have had many vodka martinis, which are also really strong.

There are many different drinks called "martinis" now, I suppose because they're served in martini glasses. My favourite is a gold dust martini (vodka, white creme d'cacao and a hint of Goldschlagger). That particular one has no mixers, just alcohol. So it is strong. Others, like a Cosmo, are not as strong because they have a bit of fruit juice in them.

Generally however, martinis are strong and mainly booze. Try one and let it sit for a few minutes before having a second, or you may find that you're cooked before the entree is served (happens all the time to DH!).

I have never had a Martini but I would like to try one. Are they are the same strength in taste? Which one would people recommend to try?

I hear they offer a Martini sampler. They are smaller martinis but a tray with several types. If your ship has a Martini Bar (ours does) then maybe this is available and you can try several and then you might have a favorite.

But make sure you try either a gin or vodka martini (or a mixture of both, a 007) shaken and not stirred.

Have fun trying them all

Bob

Not a martini in the traditional sense, but it's now one of our favorites:

I jigger each of St. Germaine Elderflower Liqueur and Grey Goose Pear Vodka, poured into a shaker over ice cubes. Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice, being careful to taste as you add, so you don't add too much. Shake gently, or stir, and strain into a glass. If company's coming, you can perch a slice of pear on the glass as a garnish. Everyone we've made these for likes them - a lot.

Also, while on board Celebrity, don't miss trying their "20 Year Martini", which is one of the best drinks I've ever had. However, I think that the bartenders in the Martini Lounge were switched between the 2 back to back cruses we took, because there was a slight variation: I suspect that the first cruise's bartender put more "rose essence' in and may have tweaked the recipe a bit, because those were superior to the second week's drinks, which were still very good.

I have never had a Martini but I would like to try one. Are they are the same strength in taste? Which one would people recommend to try?

You might want to try the Almond Joy on your next Celebrity cruise. My DW loves them and she had one almost every day. I like mine dry with olives.

A real martini --- gin and a bit of vermouth --- is very strong. It's pure alcohol. You have to like gin to like a real martini. I personally hate gin so have had many vodka martinis, which are also really strong.

There are many different drinks called "martinis" now, I suppose because they're served in martini glasses. My favourite is a gold dust martini (vodka, white creme d'cacao and a hint of Goldschlagger). That particular one has no mixers, just alcohol. So it is strong. Others, like a Cosmo, are not as strong because they have a bit of fruit juice in them.

Generally however, martinis are strong and mainly booze. Try one and let it sit for a few minutes before having a second, or you may find that you're cooked before the entree is served (happens all the time to DH!).

Hi Janine, hope you and Geoff are doing well:) I will be on Century

next month and I am going to try that Gold Dust;).....it sounds

very interesting:D

I like them strong and fruity :D:D:D

But will work my way through the Martini menu to sample each' date=' for comparison of course ;) on my cruise next week.[/b']

Don't worry, I'm not driving. :o

That will be challenge but go for it.:D It took 3 of us 28 days to get through the whole menu on our South America b2b. DH went for the gin, my sister for the vodka and several of the savory type ones. I liked the rum or tequila ones (I know, those aren't technically martinis).

If you go on Infinity, ask Bulent for his modified chocolate martini after dinner. Powerful and yummy.

Now we are hooked on these cocktails. Came home and bought a martini shaker and all the rest of the tools. DH spent a small fortune on ingredients. We are having a party at our house a couple weekends from now. Our friends will be subjected to a photo slide show along with various "martinis", some empanadas and pisco sours.

That will be challenge but go for it.:D It took 3 of us 28 days to get through the whole menu on our South America b2b. DH went for the gin, my sister for the vodka and several of the savory type ones. I liked the rum or tequila ones (I know, those aren't technically martinis).

If you go on Infinity, ask Bulent for his modified chocolate martini after dinner. Powerful and yummy.

Now we are hooked on these cocktails. Came home and bought a martini shaker and all the rest of the tools. DH spent a small fortune on ingredients. We are having a party at our house a couple weekends from now. Our friends will be subjected to a photo slide show along with various "martinis", some empanadas and pisco sours.

I only have 7 nights... :( I hope I can do it! :D

Enjoy your party! Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Archived