Booking With US Sites & US TA's

Just read this online:

Consumers need to be wary of booking cruises on US sites as the shipping lines reserve the right to deny boarding at check-in if they find that travellers are not US residents who booked with a US agent at the the US market rate.

Has this always been the case?

Just read this online:

Consumers need to be wary of booking cruises on US sites as the shipping lines reserve the right to deny boarding at check-in if they find that travellers are not US residents who booked with a US agent at the the US market rate.

Just answer this question then. Was it an Australian TA site? Me thinks it is a little bit of scaremongering perhaps?

If it is an Australian site then they are hoping to put the seed of doubt into peoples heads so that they book in Australia.

Think about it - does anyone ask for your drivers licence and proof of address when you check in? NO!!!

They accepted your money knowing that you are travelling on an Australian passport.

Another thing. Note that they don't actually come out and say that you will be refused boarding. As I said before they are hoping to get people scared enough that they will book in australia.

Dirty tactics if you ask me. Start giving us good prices and we will book in Australia. I for one would love to. Then again, I am not stupid enough to pay an extra $7000 for a cruise just so I can book with an Australian TA.

Just read this online:

Has this always been the case?[/quo

Are you a Australian Travel Agent ?

:):):):):)

Another thing. Note that they don't actually come out and say that you will be refused boarding. As I said before they are hoping to get people scared enough that they will book in australia.

Dirty tactics if you ask me. Start giving us good prices and we will book in Australia. I for one would love to. Then again' date=' I am not stupid enough to pay an extra $7000 for a cruise just so I can book with an Australian TA.[/quote']

Can there really be that much difference between the costs?

I never booked through an overseas TA, and now it looks like its all too late. Seems a bit unfair though if there is that much difference in the price. :eek:

Can there really be that much difference between the costs?

I never booked through an overseas TA, and now it looks like its all too late. Seems a bit unfair though if there is that much difference in the price. :eek:

Believe me there is. Why do you think it is such a hot topic and people go to the trouble of booking in the US? We saved $7000 on our Asia/Alaska cruise. That is not a small amount.

Just answer this question then. Was it an Australian TA site? Me thinks it is a little bit of scaremongering perhaps?

If it is an Australian site then they are hoping to put the seed of doubt into peoples heads so that they book in Australia.

Think about it - does anyone ask for your drivers licence and proof of address when you check in? NO!!!

They accepted your money knowing that you are travelling on an Australian passport.

Hi Eileen' date='

Yes it was an Aus TA site but none of the major TA's. I had never heard of this TA but only stumbled across their page while doing a search for Rhapsody blogs.

I have never booked a cruise through a US agent and was wondering before I considered it, if anyone has had the experience of being refused boarding.

Like you said though, they know you are Australian as you hold a Australian passport.

Any queries, feel free to email :)

luckie_puris@yahoo.com.au

Are you a Australian Travel Agent ?

:):):):):)

No I am not a TA. If you do a google search for Rhapsody blogs, one of those results will be a TA's blogs, and I found the above comment in one of the blogs.

I only posted here to find out if this had actually happened to anyone or if it was just a tactic to encourage booking through an AUS TA.

Believe me there is. Why do you think it is such a hot topic and people go to the trouble of booking in the US? We saved $7000 on our Asia/Alaska cruise. That is not a small amount.

Wow that is an amazing saving! With that saving, think of all the extra tours etc you can do during the cruise, especially through the Alaska area as I have heard the tours are a bit costly

Just read this online:

I've certainly seen it claimed for some time, as well as people commenting to that effect elsewhere, or the equivalent of being asked to pay the difference (it affects not just Australia). However, I haven't heard any direct reports.

Seems like I just got in, in the nick of time, a fortnight ago for a Panama cruise. Are we being denied using USA TA's just for cruises out of Oz or does it also include i.e. Med cruises etc?

My UK agent (Med cruise last September) has already told me she cannot sell me a cruise. I have bought the Panama cruise from a US TA (was charged the full amount four months out and have my boarding pass etc already).

Is it also all the shipping lines? Is there some legel eagle out there - can we complain to the Ombusman - is this collusion by the shipping lines to charge the Aust public more? If you get onto i.e. Royal site, there is dearer prices for cruises to the Aust public. If you don't add the 'au' for the internet address and you get the American website the price is MUCH cheaper for US citizens.

I'm with Bill & Charlies mum - why should We pay SO MUCH more and then there is a demand for gratuities as well.

Rassa

How can they say that because you hold you a Australian passport that you can't book through a US agent.

I have a friend that is married to an American and lives in the US and she still has a Australian Passport.

Everybody should just start boycotting these cruise lines. And as I have said before we intend to lower our tipping onboard our upcoming cruise because we pay higher prices here for cruises.

It is not just Ozzies that pay more. In the UK we also pay more if we book in £. We are taking a cruise on Oasis and some friends in the US got a quote from a very well known internet cruise agency and the total in $ was the same as the total in £ give or take. Now there is a big difference in $1500 and £1500. It is well known that some cruise lines simply will not allow a US TA to book for non-US citizens although I have read on these discussions many times that there are ways round it. Lots of Brits seem to do it. So I still think the statement you highlighted was scare mongering though.

How can they say that because you hold you a Australian passport that you can't book through a US agent.

I have a friend that is married to an American and lives in the US and she still has a Australian Passport.

Everybody should just start boycotting these cruise lines. And as I have said before we intend to lower our tipping onboard our upcoming cruise because we pay higher prices here for cruises.

No doubt I'll get flamed for this but reducing your tips won't hurt the cruise line, only the crew who are serving you and cleaning your room etc. etc.

If you refer back to my original post, I didn't say anything about Australian passport holders but that the post says they would deny boarding to non US residents who booked through a US agent.

If you refer back to my original post, I didn't say anything about Australian passport holders but that the post says they would deny boarding to non US residents who booked through a US agent.

Nothing to fear get a US online agent pick what trip you want, ring the agent and relay any concerns you may have, they want your business as they work on volume. Agents don't want passengers complaining to to Cruise Company's about them giving out wrong information, you also ask if your cruise deposit goes direct to the Cruise Line, with a simple call it can be clarified by the line you are traveling with.

It is all about getting out of your comfort zone, once you do it and see how much you are saving you will continue this form of booking for future cruises. We are in a global world, that means a global economy I think some of these large corporations are not playing on a level playing field.

Down - Unders if that is the case , why did I get knocked back by a large US on line T/A only 2 weeks ago 'Quote - Princess do not allow us to sell to Australiant Residents.'

A bit of funny business going on.

Nothing to fear get a US online agent pick what trip you want, ring the agent and relay any concerns you may have, they want your business as they work on volume. Agents don't want passengers complaining to to Cruise Company's about them giving out wrong information, you also ask if your cruise deposit goes direct to the Cruise Line, with a simple call it can be clarified by the line you are traveling with.

It is all about getting out of your comfort zone, once you do it and see how much you are saving you will continue this form of booking for future cruises. We are in a global world, that means a global economy I think some of these large corporations are not playing on a level playing field.

hi down-under, the cruise lines have stopped the international passengers from booking with US TA's.....so if we want to cruise we have to use a local TA

rkmw

Down - Unders if that is the case , why did I get knocked back by a large US on line T/A only 2 weeks ago 'Quote - Princess do not allow us to sell to Australiant Residents.'

I believe Princess is not doing the right thing by you, they want the best of both worlds which is totally wrong, good people booking out of Australia and New Zealand they are making a fortune out of.

I would try a US site and see the price in US dollars, then ring the US and see if you can book it, not all US on line agents work to the same policy, shop around. Another way is, if a Australian TA wants your business they should match prices, again shop around it is your hard earned money, you do not want anything for nothing but you do not want to be fleeced. Good luck!

hi down-under, the cruise lines have stopped the international passengers from booking with US TA's.....so if we want to cruise we have to use a local TA

rkmw

I believe it is only with Princess, who want to protect the high fares that you good people are paying out of Australia and New Zealand.

I believe it is only with Princess, who want to protect the high fares that you good people are paying out of Australia and New Zealand.

hi Down-under, its Princess, Royal Caribbean and Hal

rkmw

Nope, RCCL have put a stop to it as well. My US T/A told me a couple of weeks ago that he could not book Princess or NCL for Aussie & NZ residents but there was no problem with my Carnival booking (I double checked and then triple checked). A few days after my booking was confirmed he told me that he had just been advised by RCCL that they could no longer book cruises on their ships for all of us down-under.

Choose a different cruise line - there's heaps of them. Avoid P & O - they charge far too much for an inferior product. Just imo. :(

Archived