Difference between Australian and American style cruising

I have a silly question which I hope some of you can help provide me with what the specifics are.

I was watching a promotion video for Princess cruises for the Australian market on YouTube, and the voice over said something like "Princess brings you luxurious American style cruising to Australia"

Several years ago I was chatting with an Australian on a Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise, and he made the specific recommendation that if I ever take a Cruise in and around Australia, to do it on one of the American lines.

Wo can anybody tell me what the difference is between "American Style" cruising and "non-American style" or Australian Style cruising in and around Australia??

I have a silly question which I hope some of you can help provide me with what the specifics are.

I was watching a promotion video for Princess cruises for the Australian market on YouTube, and the voice over said something like "Princess brings you luxurious American style cruising to Australia"

Several years ago I was chatting with an Australian on a Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise, and he made the specific recommendation that if I ever take a Cruise in and around Australia, to do it on one of the American lines.

Wo can anybody tell me what the difference is between "American Style" cruising and "non-American style" or Australian Style cruising in and around Australia??

It is not a silly question at all.

It is not so much style as the age of the old ships which are used on cruises from Australia. Hence the comment to cruise on American lines in and around Australia. These are ships, such as Diamond Princess, which just cruise by Australia and are not based in Australia.

However, there is more competition now, so expect to see more modern ships, with luxurious American style cruising in the future.

Suzanne

Beware of generalisations in this Forum. Australian style cruising, American style cruising, British style cruising, Italian style cruising??? Sure - there are differences between all ships that normally service a particular nationality. We recently spent 12 weeks on UK ships - I could tell you about all kind of differences between these and the Aussie ships we have sailed on. But mostly the biggest difference came from the fact that the vast majority of these ships passengers were British - and not Australian. :)

I would ignore the words "luxury cruising" anywhere - have you ever heard of any cruiseline using the words "non-luxury cruising"?? :) Over on the Cunard CC forum, there are many people complaining about the lack of "Luxury" and the poor standard of service and food on Cunard ships!! :eek: QM2 is only 8 years old, QE is 2 years old , QV is 5 years old. Your enjoyment (or otherwise) of a cruise in Ozzie waters will be dependent on many things other than the age of the vessel.

Barry

I saw and heard that Princess marketing video, and I was like "Well, just what is this 'American Style" cruising, and how is it different from anything else" because American cruise ships sail all around the world and carry all different nationalities of people.

I kind of figured it was marketing hype, but I thought "what on earth would be more appealing about American Style as opposed to any other style, unless the American ships do something really different?" So you think it is just that the ships are newer with more bells and whistles???

I probably would be fine on an older ship as long as the food and people were fun. If you look at my signature my first cruises were all in the 70's on old, and I mean old, rust bucket ocean liners that has been re-purposed for Caribbean cruising. To me an old ship is something like the Rotterdam in 1993, which at that point was the 45 years old. Now that was an old ship, but still one of my best cruises. It was our honeymoon cruise and there was something charming about sailing on an old ocean liner. Perhaps some of the regular Australian ships posses such charm, and maybe some might not quite be so charming.

The problem I see for all of us -- is that "experience" is like a one-way ratchet tool. Once you have tasted a really fine wine, it is difficult to erase that memory when you are drinking a lesser wine. But that does not mean the lesser wine has no qualities - or that it is not enjoyable.

I have noticed that for some people - the more that they cruise, the more critical they become. You see it all the time in these Forums.

Barry

Hmmm...Australians have had very little to choose from in the past and so their expectations were based on what they had experienced as with everything..if you only ever drove a volkswagen then it would be hard to know what a Bentley felt like. As more choice opened up and cruising became more popular lots of aussies travelled more widely.

"Aussie style" cruising or "US style cruising" ...I think it is more an expectation of a level of service, food, style and polish...I like the US based ships they suit me...equally many cruisers love their local P & O ships and have a very good time on them but I dont think you would call it luxurious. If I ever had the chance to sail on one of the Silversea ships I could have a totally different opinion again. I have no wish to sail on any ship that has first and second class...goes against my aussie sense of equality.

The star ratings I have seen for the ships seem pretty accurate to me..just like a hotel rating. Its just nice to have a choice.

Hmmm...Australians have had very little to choose from in the past and so their expectations were based on what they had experienced as with everything..if you only ever drove a volkswagen then it would be hard to know what a Bentley felt like. As more choice opened up and cruising became more popular lots of aussies travelled more widely.

"Aussie style" cruising or "US style cruising" ...I think it is more an expectation of a level of service, food, style and polish...I like the US based ships they suit me...equally many cruisers love their local P & O ships and have a very good time on them but I dont think you would call it luxurious. If I ever had the chance to sail on one of the Silversea ships I could have a totally different opinion again. I have no wish to sail on any ship that has first and second class...goes against my aussie sense of equality.

The star ratings I have seen for the ships seem pretty accurate to me..just like a hotel rating. Its just nice to have a choice.

Well Said, Rugbypopsie.

Australians, who have travelled overseas, know that, in the past, we haven't been offered value for money paid for our cruises.

We went to the naming ceremony for mv Pacific Jewel by our Governor General. When we climbed the lookout at Circular Quay, I was shocked to discover that the ship, whilst done up on the outside, looked a rust bucket on the inside. We were not totally surprised that the much hyped sailaway was delayed due to a rusty water leak in Sydney Harbour.

Princess Australia which is dominated by Dawn and Sun Princess.When these ships arrived in Australia they put more Bunks in Cabins and to wander around the ships looking for a place to sit can be difficult.(Did they forget the extra lounges or where to put them?)

Food has been interfered with,ie go and ask for Eggs Benedict which is standard fare on all REAL PRINCESS SHIPS and the reply will be only on Wednesday and Saturday this week.Simply ask others and they complain that the meats served are inferior to REAL PRINCESS SHIPS, there are many other Menu examples of severe cost cutting from the REAL PRINCESS SHIPS.

My experience in the past has been a unhappy crew where SOME Australians have not paid the correct Gratuities, (some one off cruisers have paid no gratuities) stating because of cultural differences.This can also happen on the Diamond Princess.(Go watch the Aussies line up 20 thick to take the gratuities away on the first 2 days at sea.

Hi Suzanne

I think he was referring to the only other option of cruises from Australia which is P&O which is locally based and consists of about 4 ships. We haven't been on one but they are cheaper and are older ships mostly 3 star. Probably would go with Celebrity or Princess which are doing a lot more here now. Hope this helps

Julie

My opinion and this is only my interprutaion is that Aussie style cruising would relate to Australian based ships. For Pricess that would included Sun and Dawn. They would be greared more to the Australians. An example would be

they would have Australian power points in the cabins

They would show Australian rules Football in our winter months

Also one of the entertainment games is 'Woody Dice Horses'

Also some of the food would be geared to Australians. On a cruise I did last year they actually had vegimite.

Any way this is only my opinion.

Chez

Given the wording it sounds like marketing to compare against the dominant operator locally, which is P&O. In that respect, I think they're just showing their background and that they're newer/flashier rather than American features as such.

By way of comparison, Carnival recently gave an interview where they said they're 'Australianising' the Spirit when she comes by e.g. having white bread with sausages (instead of hot dogs in a bun). That may give you an idea of the kind of differences we're talking about! ;)

Given the wording it sounds like marketing to compare against the dominant operator locally, which is P&O. In that respect, I think they're just showing their background and that they're newer/flashier rather than American features as such.

By way of comparison, Carnival recently gave an interview where they said they're 'Australianising' the Spirit when she comes by e.g. having white bread with sausages (instead of hot dogs in a bun). That may give you an idea of the kind of differences we're talking about! ;)

I read the article on the Spirit becoming more Aussie friendly, and the Carnival rep joked about putting a clothes line on the back deck of the ship(using Aussie slang for one, and I can't remember the wording). But he also said they would be adding more lamb and fresh fruit, adding more connecting rooms because Australians have bigger families? and that they would be adding a Barbeque.

Voyager of the Seas is coming your way, so that will be a nice addition to your choices if you like a ship with all the bells and whistles.

Oh, almost forgot, Carnival is also upgrading their coffee service, I guess you'll get real coffee instead of "Navy Coffee".

Australia has to put up with old hand-me-down rust buckets that have seen better days. People who have not experienced anything better absolutely love these floating hotels of scrap metal.

US, UK and the more astute minded Australian traveller know that there are brand new state of the art ships in existance that offer a far better cruising experience than the ships P&O Australia operate.

The Sun Princess and Dawn Princess which operate here regularly leave nothing to be desired compared to the bigger newer ships Princess operates like Sapphire Princess, the other Grand class and the Coral and Island Princess.

Some Australians will love what P&O Australia have on offer. The ones with the time, means and money to travel on the better ships when they visit know they are far superior and will never bother to try the rubbish P&O Australia has on offer.

My Grandparents have recently tried Pacific Sun, and they described it as nothing more than a dank, scummy, mouldy, slimey piece of scrap metal - They have been used to ships like Diamond Princess, Star Princess (2003), Island Princess (2007). There are worlds of difference apart between the ships.

Australia has to put up with old hand-me-down rust buckets that have seen better days.

Posts like these are a lot of rubbish!!!.

I have recently sailed on Arcadia and Queen Mary 2 - I have also recently sailed on Pacific Pearl. They are all completely different ships - and I enjoyed them all.

To call Pacific Pearl a "hand me down rust bucket" is complete nonsense!!

Barry

Well Said, Rugbypopsie.

Australians, who have travelled overseas, know that, in the past, we haven't been offered value for money paid for our cruises.

We went to the naming ceremony for mv Pacific Jewel by our Governor General. When we climbed the lookout at Circular Quay, I was shocked to discover that the ship, whilst done up on the outside, looked a rust bucket on the inside. We were not totally surprised that the much hyped sailaway was delayed due to a rusty water leak in Sydney Harbour.

We were on the inaugural cruise on the Jewel and didn't notice any rust - not more than on any ship that is exposed to salt water constantly.:)

Australia has to put up with old hand-me-down rust buckets that have seen better days. People who have not experienced anything better absolutely love these floating hotels of scrap metal.

US, UK and the more astute minded Australian traveller know that there are brand new state of the art ships in existance that offer a far better cruising experience than the ships P&O Australia operate.

The Sun Princess and Dawn Princess which operate here regularly leave nothing to be desired compared to the bigger newer ships Princess operates like Sapphire Princess, the other Grand class and the Coral and Island Princess.

Some Australians will love what P&O Australia have on offer. The ones with the time, means and money to travel on the better ships when they visit know they are far superior and will never bother to try the rubbish P&O Australia has on offer.

My Grandparents have recently tried Pacific Sun, and they described it as nothing more than a dank, scummy, mouldy, slimey piece of scrap metal - They have been used to ships like Diamond Princess, Star Princess (2003), Island Princess (2007). There are worlds of difference apart between the ships.

I'm sorry I can't agree with your comments.:) We have cruised a lot (38 cruises) on all sorts of ships and even though we have the 'time, means and money to travel on the "better" ships' we are still happy to cruise with P&O.

You mention your grandparents' comments on the Pacific Sun, but I don't think you have cruised with P&O Aust. If that is correct, I think your comments are rather harsh when you haven't personally tried P&O. If you try it you might get a pleasant surprise.:)

I personally havent been on P&O Australia and would not give them time of day. Like I said my Grandparents have, my Parents have, other family members have. I have been given sufficient information on them to determine that compared to what I have experienced, P&O Australia would be a major disappointment.

From what I hear the onboard product and service on P&O Australia is very inferior and lacking.

Example - Deck Grills - on P&O Australia you must pay for any deck grill food throughout the cruise.

On the likes of P&O UK and Princess you can walk up to the pizza, hamburger, fish amd grill outlet and get unlimited food all day, every day.

The Pacific Pearl is an old Sitmar ship. It entered service with Princess as their Star Princess, was eventually transferred to P&O UK as Arcadia, it was then transferred and became Ocean Village. It has certainly done the rounds in its time and seen better days. A link down the bottom to my facebook albums will show pulic photos I have taken. The ship is rusty, dinted all the way down the hull. Given that this ship has been moved on from contemporary brands proves that it is no longer a viable ship for the modern market of P&O UK and Princess.

The Pacific Jewel and Dawn are both ex Sitmar/Princess ships and were Crown and Regal Princess and one of these went to Aida before going to Ocean Village.

The worst P&O Australia has to offer Pacific Sun is truely a sorry sight and a ship that continually breaks down disrupting itineraries. It is a ship that was formerly called Jubilee in the Carnival fleet doing 4 night booze cruises. It has been broken in by many thousand passengers and is literally falling apart.

The problem with P&O Australia is they offer inferior ships at premium prices when the major players have ultra modern ships at attractive prices to sail on.

After all the cruises I have been on, I would not be wasting my money on any P&O Australia ship.

My two posts are factual, not a winge. I have used factual evidence and sourced reviews from other people. It appears to be you above the one having a winge and resopnding with abusive type posts.

There are big differences between 25+ year old ships and 10 year old ships.

The reason that the likes of P&O Australia ships are not with their original lines is because they are no longer a marketable product to a customer base that is used to the most modern ships with the latest innovations in cruise travel.

Not only that as I described above the main lines are more inclusive than P&O Australia. You want grill food through the day on any major ship its free, on P&O Australia you pay for it.

I did my first cruise when I was 20, so I know all about modern trends, what the younger market goes for, and have certainly sailed enough to meet plenty of people to share and exchange information with.

On a scale of:

value for money

inclusive activities

modern ships

P&O Australia cannot compete with the major lines

I am in agreement with you Sutho, and I have been on plenty of P&O, Dawn and Sun Princess ships.

My definition of "Australianised" is : old ships, more expensive, less service. (I don't mean no service, just less).

I wonder why the average drink price on P&O & Sun and Dawn princess is over $10 plus gratuity, a lot cheaper on the US ships. Why don't they have the "Special" drink price each night? I also don't think it's right paying over $10 for a cocktail made with cocktail mix. (not sure if the US ships do that).

This is just my opinion, and a lot of people disagree I know. Plus it's great for first time cruisers with nothing else to compare to.

I would travel on Sun and Dawn Princess again but definitely give P&O Australia a big miss. As for Pacific Sun, after the last trip on that I couldn't be paid to get back on. (Though the way they are reducing Pacific Sun fares lately they might have to start paying people to get on!)

You're entitled to your opinion mate. But to come onto a message board, talk yourself up and then essentially insult people who may've enjoyed something you haven't even bothered to try, is pretty narrow minded.

I don't care who you've asked about the ships (whether it be your parents, grandparents or whoever). Until you've experienced a ship for yourself, you're not really in a position to make such bold statements.

I see you've done a lot of cruises. That's fantastic to see. Great to have another experienced cruiser on the boards. :) I've never been on a Princess Cruise. I would love to go on one and plan to at some stage. However, despite the yearning to go on one, I know I'm not in a position to make any sort of statement about the state of the ships or anything else like that. Let alone try and present them as firsthand experiences or facts...

From what I hear the onboard product and service on P&O Australia is very inferior and lacking.

Example - Deck Grills - on P&O Australia you must pay for any deck grill food throughout the cruise.

We obviously have different views on P & O ships. I do not find the servifce inferior or lacking compared with other cruiselines I have travelled on.

At lunch time P&O have a deck grill at no cost. It just isn't 24 hours a day.

I wonder why the average drink price on P&O & Sun and Dawn princess is over $10 plus gratuity, a lot cheaper on the US ships. Why don't they have the "Special" drink price each night? I also don't think it's right paying over $10 for a cocktail made with cocktail mix. (not sure if the US ships do that).
Ummm, when I was on Pacific Sun in February I was only paying around $7.50 for cocktails, whereas a glass of sparkling wine or a beer were setting us back around $9.00 (hence why we stuck with the cocktails). Maybe your bartender was ripping you off... :confused:

I am in agreement with you Sutho, and I have been on plenty of P&O, Dawn and Sun Princess ships.

My definition of "Australianised" is : old ships, more expensive, less service. (I don't mean no service, just less).

This is just my opinion, and a lot of people disagree I know. Plus it's great for first time cruisers with nothing else to compare to.

I would travel on Sun and Dawn Princess again but definitely give P&O Australia a big miss. As for Pacific Sun, after the last trip on that I couldn't be paid to get back on. (Though the way they are reducing Pacific Sun fares lately they might have to start paying people to get on!)

A lot of our comments (yours and mine) are personal opinion and we might disagree.:) The comment above that I have high-lighted is incorrect so it is not valid to make it a point of complaint. P&O have never had a gratuity added to drink prices and Sun and Dawn Princess have not had a gratuity added since 1st May 2011.

By the way, I would happily cruise on Pacific Sun any day. We always have a great time.

Archived