Money belt

I was planning to get myself a travel safe purse and my husband a money belt. I found a pacsafe purse I like, but I'm a little loss with regards to the money belt. Is there a particular brand you like and would recommend? Are these uncomfortable? How difficult is it to get on/off? We will have quite a bit of cash at times, because they private tours we have booked want cash payment. So I do want to take precautions, but I don't want this to be a hassle for my husband. Thanks!

I don't know if your Spain itinerary includes Barcelona - if it does, just be aware that the thieves/pickpockets there have taken their "craft" to a whole new level. If you have pockets (especially back pockets on pants), there shouldn't be anything of value in your pockets. If you are carrying a purse, it needs to always be in front of you, not hanging off to the side or back. If some random person walks up to you in the street, in a restaurant, etc., smiles and starts asking questions or engaging you in any kind of conversation, no matter how polite - you can be 99.9% certain that he is distracting you, and his accomplice is nearby.

We've known someone who had a backpack and was walking around La Rambla - wanted to look at a map, so he stopped, put the backpack at his feet and unfolded a map, literally for a couple of minutes. When he looked down from the map, his backpack was gone. Another family we met on that cruise told us how they were in a restaurant in Barcelona, in an outside patio, and put their camera on the table, in front of them, in plain view. Someone local came up to their table and started asking some random questions about the food. They were a bit surprised but didn't want to be rude so they spoke to him for less than 30 seconds. Then the guy walked off, and next thing they know, the camera had disappeared too (and it was almost the last top of the cruise so they had a whole vacation's worth of pictures on it).

Barcelona may be a beautiful city, but yes, it's that bad. A little hassle with the money belt is more than worth it.

I was planning to get myself a travel safe purse and my husband a money belt. I found a pacsafe purse I like, but I'm a little loss with regards to the money belt. Is there a particular brand you like and would recommend? Are these uncomfortable? How difficult is it to get on/off? We will have quite a bit of cash at times, because they private tours we have booked want cash payment. So I do want to take precautions, but I don't want this to be a hassle for my husband. Thanks!

I bought one of the Pacsafe wallets and found it very easy to use and not uncomfortable at all. Here's a link:

http://pacsafe.com/coversafe-125-secret-belt-wallet

Just a note on wearing this through US airport security. I had this on when we were going through security for our flight to Barcelona from the US. The TSA person noticed the strap over my belt, asked what it was, didn't care that I removed it and offered to put it throught the x-ray scanner, and proceeded to give me a manual search.

Regarding the cash for your private tours here is what we've ALWAYS done: Payment on completion of the tour and arrange for the guide/driver to stop at a Bank ATM to withdraw the required cash before dropping you off. This is far more secure than carrying large amounts of cash with you for the entire day. Husband uses a lite nylon fabric, elastic money belt and we sometimes split any cash or c.card between us. We also have a variety of unisex 'Derek Alexander' purse/bags which we can alternate carrying.

I found a good money belt on the Internet and use it when I travel, especially in Barcelona. Don't even think of taking your wallet. Keep that in your hotel safe.

Take out the cash you need for one day, and perhaps one credit card, put that in your front pocket. Keep a copy of your passport in the money belt and perhaps the credit card, along with any additional cash that you think you might need.

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I will check these out and see what my husband prefers and get something ordered for both of us this week.

We are going to be in Barcelona for several days as well as Italy. I have read all the warnings and will be taking precautions.

I had a Pacsafe wallet and bag. I used the lightest money belt I could find as that was the most comfortable. Even so, during the day other than the cash we needed our valuables were in the hotel safe. We were fortunate not to have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
magellans has several. I think over the neck and under my shirt is better than a money belt.

But magellans has both.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Shop_by_Brand___PacSafe_BagsLB377

Why do you think a neck safe is better than a money belt? It is certainly more comfortable, but wouldn't it be easier for a thief to quickly cut the cord at the back of one's neck?

Why do you think a neck safe is better than a money belt? It is certainly more comfortable, but wouldn't it be easier for a thief to quickly cut the cord at the back of one's neck?

Yes but it would still be under my shirt.

Here is another option

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054IH9UC/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=20645444136&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=338175051431828141&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B0054IH9UC.

If one wears a polo type shirt with a collar it prevents the around the neck variety from being seen and if it does get cut it will stay inside your shirt. I have been to Barcelona and Italy many times and have had no issues with pickpockets. You must always be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Baggalini makes a small, u-shaped purse/wallet that I use- it can go cross body under my shirt, or around my waist. It's flat, like a money belt. Goes intopocket book when that is safe. My husband has a wallet from Magellan's that has a chain that hooks onto a belt loop. Sounds like the financial mess in Spain is impacting the theives!

We have purchased a Pacsafe money belt, Pacsafe neck wallet and 2 unisex Pacsafe bags. The money belt and neck wallet have cable running through the belt and neck straps, so it is very difficult for a thief to easily cut through. You may want to check on your choices online.

I did like the suggestion up above, to have the tour operators stop at an ATM at the end to withdraw the bulk of cash to pay with, so as not to be carrying around alot of cash at any one time....good thought....thanks!

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to the PacSafe product I purchased for our cruise earlier this month. It became known as my "man purse" and once I got used of the concept I quite enjoyed it. It held a small camera, credit card, ATM card, cruise card, passports when necessary, pen and note paper and cash in the front pouch. It can be used as a fanny bag but I found that rather uncomfortable on buses and in taxis so just wore it as a shoulder bag.

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=206

We have purchased a Pacsafe money belt, Pacsafe neck wallet and 2 unisex Pacsafe bags. The money belt and neck wallet have cable running through the belt and neck straps, so it is very difficult for a thief to easily cut through. You may want to check on your choices online.

I did like the suggestion up above, to have the tour operators stop at an ATM at the end to withdraw the bulk of cash to pay with, so as not to be carrying around alot of cash at any one time....good thought....thanks!

Pacsafe makes some good products, we use their daybag to carry all of our items (camera, ipad etc).

I found a good money belt on the Internet and use it when I travel, especially in Barcelona. Don't even think of taking your wallet. Keep that in your hotel safe.

Take out the cash you need for one day, and perhaps one credit card, put that in your front pocket. Keep a copy of your passport in the money belt and perhaps the credit card, along with any additional cash that you think you might need.

I wouldn't put anything of value in your FRONT POCKET....it will be gone without you even feeling it. We use Pacsafe unisex bags and moneybelts, carrying only what we need with us daily.

If one wears a polo type shirt with a collar it prevents the around the neck variety from being seen and if it does get cut it will stay inside your shirt. I have been to Barcelona and Italy many times and have had no issues with pickpockets. You must always be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

I decided to go with a pouch around my neck rather than a money belt. Planned to keep a little cash deep in a pants pocket with a somethig such as a handkerchief on top, but it sounds like nothing in a pocket is safe.

Neck pouches are good if you wear collared shirts or a turtleneck. Otherwise you can see the string. I have both and depending on the weather and what I travel with, I take one of them with me. Magellan's is a great place for everything. Many times I don't carry my passport and leave it in the hotel safe. I carry a copy of my passport....I'd rather have that stolen than the real thing.

We spent 3 days in Barcelona last year, and took all of the precautions we could muster. We had no problems. Planning, protecting your belongs, and being AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS, is paramount to maximizing your enjoyment in a city known be one of the worst pickpocket havens in the world.

We used Pac Safe neck pouches under our shirts, copies of passports (left original in hotel safe), carried two credit cards (we each carried a different account in case one of us was compromised), and carried cash in a couple of different locations on our person in case we did have an incident. If possible, travel in a group so you can keep an eye on one another.

I would not hesitate to go back to Barcelona - one of the best cities I have ever visited.

Hi Mike, I carried our cash and a credit card in a cell phone pouch, and had a belt thru it and wore it under my blouse, as I walked I kept my hand on it. We were with Mike and his wife in Barcelona and walked several times at night up to Las Ramblas and never had a problem, but like he said we watched out for each other and paid attention to our surroundings. They have these Street Statues I will call them,which are fun to see, but don't spend a lot of time watching them and let your guard down.

I stayed away from around the neck pouches, one for me, they were uncomfortable and two if someone tries to grab it off your neck, your going with it. I preferred to have something under by clothes and have my hands free, this way less things visible to try and steal.My camera was looped around my wrist and held tightly and in front of me.

magellans has several. I think over the neck and under my shirt is better than a money belt.

But magellans has both.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Shop_by_Brand___PacSafe_BagsLB377

We used the Magellan safe wallet that attaches to your belt, and goes inside your pants, and it works reasonably well.

When planning our first trip to Barcelona, after reading all the posts about pickpockets, it made us more vigilant than we needed to be. It sounded like people were going to just swarm on us as soon as we got out of the taxi. But that wasn't the case at all. If we go there again, I will probably just carry my wallet in my front pocket.

It seems that pickpockets in Barcelona will prey on "targets" that they perceive as easy pickings. But if you carry yourself with confidence, you know where you are going, and you don't make valuables easily accessible, then they will look for somebody else. I'm sure that there are exceptions, but the pickpockets will look for somebody who looks like a lost tourist on a crowded street corner, with their map out, and their purse on the ground.

There are plenty of "targets" for the pickpockets in Barcelona. Just don't make yourself one of them, and you will be fine.

We were recently in Barcelona for four days.

After reading all I could about the pickpockets and what to do to keep ourselves and our valuables safe this is what we finally did:

We left most of our money, our credit cards and our passports in the hotel safe.

We carried only enough money for the day plus photocopies of our passports.

I used a soft money belt that I bought at TJ Maxx. It cost about $7.00.

Thanks to advice that I read here on these boards, I bought some large diaper pins before we left home. I used two of them to pin my money belt to my underwear. I used two more to pin the inside pockets of my jacket shut and was able to securely carry my small camera there.

I had both hands free, no purse, and we had no problems at all. Another thing I read here was not to stand around looking at a map since that makes you an obvious target. Plan your route in advance and walk with confidence.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and based on this experience, I would not be so nervous the next time.

We were recently in Barcelona for four days.

After reading all I could about the pickpockets and what to do to keep ourselves and our valuables safe this is what we finally did:

We left most of our money, our credit cards and our passports in the hotel safe.

We carried only enough money for the day plus photocopies of our passports.

I used a soft money belt that I bought at TJ Maxx. It cost about $7.00.

Thanks to advice that I read here on these boards, I bought some large diaper pins before we left home. I used two of them to pin my money belt to my underwear. I used two more to pin the inside pockets of my jacket shut and was able to securely carry my small camera there.

I had both hands free, no purse, and we had no problems at all. Another thing I read here was not to stand around looking at a map since that makes you an obvious target. Plan your route in advance and walk with confidence.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and based on this experience, I would not be so nervous the next time.

OK, here's another option........I put my wallet in my camera bag, which I slung across my body like a messenger bag. I kept my iPhone in my cargo pants thigh pocket, and had about 5 euros and my transit ticket in a front pocket for quick change. I had no problems at all.

Seriously, there's no perfect way to ensure you'll have no problems with pickpoketers. Maybe you had no problems because of the methods you used, or maybe you would have had no problems regardless. Maybe I had no problem based on luck, or maybe I had no problems because I looked comfortable, confident, and not worried. We'll never know. Ultimately, do what you need to do to be comfortable, confident, and enjoy yourself.

Archived