Slow Sea Princess

Just had notification that we will be leaving an hour earlier for our 1st of June cruise leaving Brisbane due to technical issues.

We now arrive at our first port of call 3 hours later at 5 pm. Hardly worth doing a tour if that is the case.

Princess have offered us $100 AUD credit per person for the inconvenience - nice.

Just had notification that we will be leaving an hour earlier for our 1st of June cruise leaving Brisbane due to technical issues.

We now arrive at our first port of call 3 hours later at 5 pm. Hardly worth doing a tour if that is the case.

Princess have offered us $100 AUD credit per person for the inconvenience - nice.

You wont see much in that time...everyone will be getting ready for dinner.Hardlly worth calling at all, Have they said what the technical issues are?

DayPortArriveDepart

1Brisbane, Queensland, Australia4.00pm

2At Sea

3Noumea, New Caledonia2.00pm9.00pm

4Lifou, Loyalty Islands8.00am5.00pm

5Vila, Vanuatu8.00am4.00pm

6At Sea

7At Sea

8Brisbane, Queensland, Australia7.00am

Hi David,

Here is the notification:

Please be advised that Sea Princess has experienced technical difficulties which have resulted in our inability to operate at full speed. This in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew which is our highest priority; however, our technical experts have determined that it is necessary to advance our departure time from Brisbane to 3 PM.

I hope they don't cancel the cruise :(

It does sound strange.

A similar thing happened one other time . They left Portside early and called into Fishermans Island where "something techninical" was loaded on board , and then they carried on with the cruise , presumably repairing whatever needed repairing at sea.

Fingers crossed that the cruise goes ahead as planned.:)

The old ships and their engines are getting tired, Sun Princess and Dawn Princess have had similar issues in the recent past, resulting in speed reductions.

Edited by NSWP

The old ships and their engines are getting tired, Sun Princess and Dawn Princess have had similar issues in the recent past, resulting in speed reductions.

Hopefully Sun Princess had it's engines overhauled when it was in dry dock last year.

I assume Sea Princess hasn't had the dry dock refurb yet?

Hopefully Sun Princess had it's engines overhauled when it was in dry dock last year.

I think the Sea Princess has been in dry dock, I think it was either in 2013 or 2012, as when we where on her for 40 days in August / September 2013 I went to the technical talk (about the ship etc..), and they where saying about what they did in the recent dry-dock and how they have a list of thing they want to do in that last dry-dock, but where not able to do it, as they rain out of time.

The guy who did the technical talk had been working on the Sea Princess for quite a while (he looked after the engines etc..), and he know the ship, quite well.

So I guess either this guy I am talking about has left the ship and they guy who replace him has broke the ship :P, or they pushed the ship a bit harder or something unexpectedly broke recently.

Hi, I have friends on board at present, and the same thing has happened for their cruise...ship late leaving, they were given $100.00 also.

kind regards, Lorraine :):):)

Her next dry dock I think is scheduled for Oct2015 I believe. I don't think it's a refurb, just a routine maintenance.

I wonder just what their problem is. We just received the exact same email for the cruise leaving the 8th June.

Hubby is happy to take the $100-00 credit each.

If it is an engine issue, perhaps that means less time in each port, hence the compensation.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Well to be honest I'd rather the ship keep to the schedule and them keep the $100, Noumea after dark doesn't interest me much however what can a person do, just have to make the most of it.

Well to be honest I'd rather the ship keep to the schedule and them keep the $100, Noumea after dark doesn't interest me much however what can a person do, just have to make the most of it.

Exactly, enjoy the trip and don't worry about things out of your control.:D

Can anyone on board shed any light on the problem and when they expect to fix it? We are on in 5 weeks time for 26 night cruise to se asia, hope it is something they can fix. Fingers well and truly crossed.

Can anyone on board shed any light on the problem and when they expect to fix it? We are on in 5 weeks time for 26 night cruise to se asia, hope it is something they can fix. Fingers well and truly crossed.

Same here, we board her in a couple of weeks for the Queensland coastal trip. Hopefully whatever issues they are having, that the inconvenience to passengers is minimal.

Edited by ozmonkeyboy

Mine too!:confused:

Same here, we board her in a couple of weeks for the Queensland coastal trip. Hopefully whatever issues they are having, that the inconvenience to passengers is minimal.

Agreed, it couldn't be anything too major or they would be rescheduling ports etc for the future cruises.:D

We have just been notified our 22 June 2014 Northern Explorer 16 night cruise Sea Princess itinerary has been changed. The highlight of my booking this cruise was the Port of Bali which now, due to one engine failure the ship is travelling at slower speed, this port has been replaced with Alotau (PNG), I don't wish to go there. Port Douglas has been replaced with Yorkeys Knob, an overnight in Broome..boring, and one hour less time cruising the Kimberley Coast. Only compensation $100on board credit, what a joke. I only booked this cruise because it was going to Bali, my first time there....pity we were only advised on Tuesday 3 June as to cancel I will lose 50% of my fare??very clever by Princess.