Koningsdam.....are you considering?

RMS Olympic

This next HAL ship looks lovely with evolutionary changes while remaining HAL.

Are you considering a cruise on this ship either in Europe or the Caribbean?

I chose not to wait for the Caribbean and selected a cruise out of Amsterdam going to Norway. A totally new area to visit makes it extra special. Also chose one of the new single outside cabins even though it is low and forward. As it maybe cool, a balcony didn't warrant the much added expense.

So anyone else setting their sights on this next addition to the HAL fleet?

the christening cruise...that is wonderful! I am sure it will be a very special sailing and very elegante. I wish you Bon Voyage even if its a year off.

Next May I will be on my second cruise on NCL's Escape....I will toast you with a glass of champagne:D

Ciao

Good for you! I'm sure a lot of us will be anxious to read your review of the new single room. The Norway itinarary is one of my favorites...I did the 14 day mid night sun on the Ryndam in 2013....and it was great. Some of the small fjord ports where we tendered will be a challenge for a larger ship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not until it starts doing Caribbean sailings. We've been on two European cruises and won't do any more. You just don't have enough time to see/experience everything we go to Europe for. For that destination, where we're going and what we're seeing is much more important then the ship we're on. We've done several now, and the best way to see Europe is on a river cruise (in fact, we're leaving later this week on a Viking river cruise). We've done many Caribbean cruises and on that itinerary the ship is important because for us the ship is the destination and we rarely even get off (of the ship, that is) LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Chose one of the outside singles at the bow...on the Aug 28 sailing out of Amsterdam. This will be exciting in that it is a new class of ship and a totally new itinerary for me....Norway. Weather maybe like an Alaska cruise which will be a break from the Florida summer heat......just hope its not cool/ cold and wet. Wonder if the majority of pax will be from Europe and if so will it be a more dressy crowd?

In the meantime I have the Nieuw Amsterdam next March to hold me over....providing the boys sailing on the RSVP Feb 2017 cruise don't wear the ship and crew out......especially Peter.....who has just too much fun:D:D:D

Koningsdam......I'm red ta go.

This next HAL ship looks lovely with evolutionary changes while remaining HAL.

Are you considering a cruise on this ship either in Europe or the Caribbean?

I chose not to wait for the Caribbean and selected a cruise out of Amsterdam going to Norway. A totally new area to visit makes it extra special. Also chose one of the new single outside cabins even though it is low and forward. As it maybe cool, a balcony didn't warrant the much added expense.

So anyone else setting their sights on this next addition to the HAL fleet?

Looking at that ship for next year in the Caribbean. I'll wait to see some reviews. It certainly looks like a beautiful ship. Hopefully HAL will start doing a more restrictive smoking policy. It's one of the reasons we've not sailed on HAL as yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I cant wait to sail the Koningsdam! Looks like this ship will blow all the others away. Who needs all those gimmicks the other lines are stuck on??

Have to wait to book though since we will be on the NA in Nov and I have a large group on the NA again in March!

Booked on the Aug 28th sailing out of Amsterdam to Norway!. Still trying to figure out what to wear for the cooler temps. Also trying to find out whether HAL trips in Northern Europe are mostly European pax.....which may wear dressier clothes in the evenings.

HAL has me staying at the Movenpik hotel in Amsterdam which appears to be right next door to the cruise passenger terminal.....so I can watch her pull in early morning on embarkation day!!!!!!!!

Nunudie.....I too am going on the NA (Nieuw Amsterdam) in March ....finally. Had booked the NA on a RSVP cruise a few years back...paid as a single $$$$$, and three days prior to sailing wound up in the hospital with a big kidney stone (no travel insurance) so lost the $$$$. So finally getting on the NA, a great precursor to the Koningsdam.

Only draw back to the KD cruise....the stern pool will be unpopular with the cool temps.......so the covered pool will be a mad house.

Already discussed the KD's sister with my HAL consultant.....may book her if she comes to the Caribbean (especially if RSVP charters her).

For now, its time to book my air to Amsterdam......which will be available this Monday......the count down will begin:D

Booked on the Aug 28th sailing out of Amsterdam to Norway!. Still trying to figure out what to wear for the cooler temps. Also trying to find out whether HAL trips in Northern Europe are mostly European pax.....which may wear dressier clothes in the evenings.

HAL has me staying at the Movenpik hotel in Amsterdam which appears to be right next door to the cruise passenger terminal.....so I can watch her pull in early morning on embarkation day!!!!!!!!

Nunudie.....I too am going on the NA (Nieuw Amsterdam) in March ....finally. Had booked the NA on a RSVP cruise a few years back...paid as a single $$$$$, and three days prior to sailing wound up in the hospital with a big kidney stone (no travel insurance) so lost the $$$$. So finally getting on the NA, a great precursor to the Koningsdam.

Only draw back to the KD cruise....the stern pool will be unpopular with the cool temps.......so the covered pool will be a mad house.

Already discussed the KD's sister with my HAL consultant.....may book her if she comes to the Caribbean (especially if RSVP charters her).

For now, its time to book my air to Amsterdam......which will be available this Monday......the count down will begin:D

Which sailing on the NA in March? I know what its like to deal with kidney stones.. Been there, done that. Its horrible.

Always get travel insurance! I cant say it enough to my clients. My friend just got $500 back because she left her ipad on a bus in Alaska. Made the insurance worthwhile.

Cant wait to hear how you like the Koningsdam. Say hi to my friend Glenn, the maitre d in Pinnacle.

Sailing on the NA on March 28th. As for the Pinnacle Grill......I will be planning on dinning there at least once if not twice depending upon my table in the main dining room.

I will say hello to your friend Glenn and hope he knows your CC name;)

Its been a while since I have sailed HAL.....I hope the cut backs (like all lines) have not diminished the HAL experience. The last thing I read on cut backs was the removal of some of the choices in the Pinnacle......I hope the rest of the onboard product remains tasteful, elegant and inviting. Like Camile Bouchon in Now Voyager.....I am not a "commercial traveler":D:D:D

Ciao,

Tom aka Bertha

• 2 years later...

I see this thread is a couple of years old. Does anyone have any feedback on the Koningsdam? The last five cruises I have been on were on Celebrity. A friend and I just booked a 24 day Med/TA next October on the Koningsdam. We heard they were trying to attract a younger demographic on this ship. I am in my late 50's and heard that Holland had become a Nursing Home at sea. One of my motivations for booking this ship was that it was new, the itinerary was great and they had an upbeat music and entertainment format.

In the fall I did just under a month on Koningsdam, debarking in Amsterdam. It is a wonderful ship, perhaps best in the fleet for my travels. Others have reported on the great new things, so I will skip over those. On any holiday I leave home with great expectations and as a result the good or great things matter little to me. It is the negatives that stick in my mind!

The much lower ceiling or deck heads take a little getting used to; there is significantly lower overheads on this ship in order to allow the added height of the vessel. Corridors too are narrow. The "scotch tasting" bar was seldom used. The Culinary Arts area and Blend were always empty, and I feel the space could be put to a better use. The "duelling piano" entertainment varies depending on who the talent is. Ours changed mid voyage the the new comers were much more engaging with the passengers, and thus a larger more fun filled time occurred. As I am not a huge fan of BB King type music I did find that entertainment very loud and almost the same each evening.

Would I sail on her again. Yes! The great out door deck spaces, pools and hot tubs, and by far the best laid out Lido buffet in the fleet made up for the few short comings. Enjoy your cruise!

We just got off. We prefer Nieuw Amsterdam, but that is us. Koningsdam is a beautiful ship, with $4.1 million of artwork. For us, it was all about the functionality, starting with the cabin and even the venues did not make sense. She is beautiful but there were more cons than pluses. We might go again, now that we know what to expect. This is our opinion, of course.