NCL to the rescue!

Below is part of a message posted on Norwegian Cruise Lines website. My brother and sister-in-law have been stranded on the island of St. Thomas for the last week, having made it thru Irma's wrath and facing whatever Jose' is throwing at them right now. They will be two of the estimated 2,000 travelers who will be gratefully taking advantage of NCL's generous offer. Many thanks go out to NCL from a very worried Pennsylvania family about their loved ones who have endured Hurricanes Irma and Jose' - we tip our hats to you, NCL, for this kind gesture!

"Acting as a responsible corporate citizen and supporting the destinations that our ships operate in is a core value of Norwegian Cruise Line. In the wake of this devastating storm, we will be deploying Norwegian Sky from her current position off the coast of Cancun to St. Thomas, USVI to retrieve approximately 2,000 travelers who were unable to evacuate the island prior to the storm. The ship is departing immediately and will arrive in St. Thomas in the late evening hours on Monday, September 11. Norwegian Cruise Line is working closely with the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association and the Governor of St. Thomas to execute this rescue mission. When all designated vacation guests have boarded the ship, Norwegian Sky will sail back to her homeport of Miami and is expected to arrive on Thursday, September 14."

This is wonderful. Very impressive and great to read. Thank you so much for sharing this info with us.

OP, I am happy your brother and S-I-L will be taken safely off the island. Must be a relief for your family.

I just heard some U.S. military vessels (Navy, Coast Guard?) came over from Puerto Rico to pick up stranded travelers on St. Thomas. they had tried to get flights off island before the storrm but it was not possible.

Just a casual observation but, Cafrnival, Princess, and HAL are noticeably absent form list of cruise lines helpingg out in these times of emergency. I would guess they will make monetary donations and that is fine but right, now, there are people who need help they (might ?) have the ability to provide , Cash later, sure but rescue NOW.

IMO

I don't believe that HAL or Princess do Caribbean cruises in the summer. They are in Alaska so not available. NCL and RCCL (I think?) do Caribbean cruises so they are in the area and can help - it's great to see they are.

I don't believe that HAL or Princess do Caribbean cruises in the summer. They are in Alaska so not available. NCL and RCCL (I think?) do Caribbean cruises so they are in the area and can help - it's great to see they are.

I thhink it possible Carnival and Princess.

I made an observattion. My Observation was clearly stated. Not defensive or offfensive, however. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I applaud NCL and Royal Caribbean in what they are doing! I look forward to learning of Carnival's response.

It is surely correct that Princess and HAL have no hardware in the Caribbean at this time and cannot participate in using their ships in relief efforts.

Kazu is correct -- no HAL ships in the vicinity to help out. So pleased to read that other lines are pitching in to help. I'm new to cruising but I'm happy to see that cruise lines are willing to assist. (I'm taking my first EVER cruise starting on Monday -- Alaska, HAL, 2 weeks).

The Carnival Ships are sailing full of passengers on extended cruises right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not all are paying passengers:)

I posted a link here a couple days ago (at least I think I did) to a news story about 2 Carnival ships. Both ships upon returning to Miami 2 days early, gave B2B passengers the option of disembarking or staying onboard for a "Cruise to No Where". Approximately 2,000 passengers from both ships decided to ride the storm out on board. One of the ships transferred all of their passengers to the other ship, whichn left 1 ship for Carnival to use for all of its Shoreside employees and their families to ride out the storm on the ship.

I say Kudos to any and all Cruise Lines thinking of passengers and employees:)

Joanie