Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:21 PM.
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Locals and visitors will be able to travel on the latest ferry named Ferry McFerryface.

At first I thought it was a joke. But no, the name was voted on by Sydneysiders.

Now I smile every time I read it and can't wait to go on a ferry trip on the beautiful Sydney Harbour on Ferry McFerryface.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Batehaven, Australia
11,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
What a stupid name for a Sydney Harbour Ferry. I wonder how much McDonalds chipped into buy the vessel or swing the naming rights. I cannot believe the public voted for it.

The NSW Government has lost the plot. We have so many legends who could bear the name of a new ferry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Baltics, Scandinavia, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last trifecta of cruises:
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

**Next Cruise:
Noordam - 21 April 2019, South Pacific Crossing - Sydney-Honolulu - 14 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Sydney
200 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I think it is funny! What possible connection is there with McDonalds except for the first two letters? Using that logic about 90% of Scotland is sponsored by Maccas.
300 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by wagtail_syd
I think it is funny! What possible connection is there with McDonalds except for the first two letters? Using that logic about 90% of Scotland is sponsored by Maccas.
Ha Ha; They said Boaty McBoatface was already taken; You could travel to the quay on Trainy McTrainface (there is one in Swedan).
Just name it The Tim Cahill; just like the 'Tim CAHILL" expressway above the opt...
247 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Locals and visitors will be able to travel on the latest ferry named Ferry McFerryface.

At first I thought it was a joke. But no, the name was voted on by Sydneysiders.

Now I smile every time I read it and can't wait to go on a ferry trip on the beautiful Sydney Harbour on Ferry McFerryface.
Come on MM spill the beans this is a windup.Even our Loony Victorian Premier would try a name like that !
247 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by GUT2407
Hey what’s happened to the Aussie sense of humour
Unfortunately it got wiped out by the dreaded PC brigade Mr Gut,such a pity.
Sydney, Australia
14,764 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Nothing wrong with humour - but I don't think putting a name like that on one of our ferries is very funny. It'll just look stupid to see imo.
I come from a land down under
26,488 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by beatleman
Unfortunately it got wiped out by the dreaded PC brigade Mr Gut,such a pity.
Totally agree, a bit of a laugh I’ll certainly jump on her if I get half a chance.

I can’t believe the carry on, on the radio over it all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

26,488 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by The_Big_M
Nothing wrong with humour - but I don't think putting a name like that on one of our ferries is very funny. It'll just look stupid to see imo.
Used to be known as a nation of larrikins that lived to laugh at ourselves.

Seems for many those days are gone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by beatleman
Come on MM spill the beans this is a windup.Even our Loony Victorian Premier would try a name like that !
15,000 suggestions were made to name six new harbour ferries. The most popular were Victor Chang, Fred Hollows and Catherine Hamlin, which are already cruising the harbour.

Ferry McFerryface follows UK's polar ship named Boaty McBoatface.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Batehaven, Australia
11,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by wagtail_syd
Perhaps they are, McHaggis lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Baltics, Scandinavia, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

**Next Cruise:

Batehaven, Australia
11,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by sewgood
I heard on the news this morning that the ferry staff are going on a strike over the name.
I don't blame them, inappropriate name. Like what links has 'McFerryface got with NSW legends?

What is the next names for future ferries? - Colonel Sanders - KFC - Subway - Hungry Jacks ? Give me a break.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

**Next Cruise:

Sydney, Australia
14,764 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Used to be known as a nation of larrikins that lived to laugh at ourselves.

Seems for many those days are gone.
Not sure how copying the same name style from another place is laughing at ourselves.

Doesn't say anything about us, isn't even creative.
Victoria, Australia
520 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I love it , it makes me smile as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Helen

Coming Up
Majestic Princess - Sept 2018 Fiji - 12 nights
Pacific Jewel - Oct 2018 Qld coastal - 7 nights

Golden Princess - Oct 2018 Syd to Melb - 3 nights
Majestic Princess - Aug 2019 Shanghai to Syd - 22 nights

Golden Princess - Feb 2020 NZ - 13 nights Sailed
Diamond Princess - Mar 2018 Tassie - 8 nights
Pacific Aria - Nov 2017 Sth Pac - 7 nights
Pacific Explorer - Jul 2017 Sth Pac - 10 nights
Pacific Jewel - Feb 2017 Sth Qld - 7 nights
Golden Princess - Nov 2016 Syd to Melb - 3 nights
Dawn Princess - Nov 2016 Tassie - 6 nights

Pacific Eden - March 2016 Melb to Kangaroo Island return- 4 nights b2b ~
Pacific Eden - 2016 Melb to Eden return - 4 nights

Pacific Eden - Nov 2015 Freo to Sydney ( 10 night inaugural cruise)
Carnival Legend - March 2015 Sth Pacific- 9 nights
Diamond Princess - Oct/Nov 2014 Singapore to Sydney - 19
Sun Princess - Nov 2013 QLD coastal - 10 nights
Oosterdam - Nov 2012 Solar Eclipse - 14 nights
Sea Princess - Nov 2011 NZ round trip - 14 nights
Dawn Princess - May 2011 Half the World - 53 nights (first cruise I booked)
Dawn Princess - March 2011 Melb to Syd - 2 nights

26,488 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by The_Big_M
Not sure how copying the same name style from another place is laughing at ourselves.

Doesn't say anything about us, isn't even creative.
Mainly because they didn’t have the guts to go through with it, rather relegating the name to an exploration vessel carried on board.

Probably why it got the most votes, to say “see we aren’t afraid to be silly”.

But hey why put it to a vote if you’re not going to go along with the outcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
14,764 Posts
Joined Oct 2008

Probably why it got the most votes, to say “see we aren’t afraid to be silly”.
Given it was an online poll, it's pretty easy to choose a silly option - in fact, that's pretty much a given.

The poll was also launched just after the British poll last year when it was obviously a fresher, newer joke so a pretty obvious choice.

But hey why put it to a vote if you’re not going to go along with the outcome.
Yeah, because the government absolutely undeniably has never broken a commitment - let alone something so accurate and definitive as an internet poll.
Canberra Australia
44,897 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I like it,
When I catch a ferry, I go for the time it leaves and not the name of the ferry. That said, I am sure some tourists (and locals on the weekend) will deliberately catch the ferry due to placating a child who wants to ride and get a picture with the Ferry McFerryface.