Ss explorer, grand crossing 11/24/17

ronrick1943

Welcome! Come sail with us on the crossing between Lisbon to Miami. But if you come along we’ll be telling the story the way we see it “IMO”—so what happens on the SS Explorer, won’t stay on the SS Explorer.

First about us, we’ve cruised 25plus times since the 70’s. We’ve been on the Carnival (1st cruise and yes we were young-still we knew that wasn’t the line for us), we’ve cruised SeaDreams, SilverSeas and everything in between. Including Oceania 8 times. Loved them all except Carnival, but we did have fun.

We’re a lot older now so from what I read on CC we’ll in the middle of the age group. This will be our first cruise on Regent so we’ll be expecting and looking for an enjoyable good time as we’ve booked 2 additional Regent cruises to follow this one. Some people on CC said this may not be the cruise line for us, and if we have lower expectations we won’t be disappointed. That’s not what I was hoping for, we have high expectations and we expect Regent to be that 5 star ship they talk about. After all they say they are the best at sea---so we’ll be the judge of that. This review will be fair, we’re not looking for problems or mistakes on the ship. We’re looking for fun, good food and good service. But remember this will be Our Opinion as we see it—others may see it different than us.

We’ll be leaving for the airport soon, we live in Palm Springs and will be flying out of San Diego non-stop to London on BA (a 747 no less), then on to Lisbon Sunday evening. We’ll be staying at The Corinthia Hotel Lisbon before the cruise.

What will we think of Regent: Who knows…..Love, Hate or Something in between, hope you stay tuned for more of what will happen during this 14 day cruise. If you have a question please ask. Give us a few days to settle down and if we’re late on a few post(s) forgive us but we’re on vacation and the plan is to have as much fun as we can. We won’t talk about the ride to San Diego Airport, because I already know that is not going to be fun.

Catch you later! Oh, don’t forget we’re out for a great vacation on Regent.

Rick and Ron

Rick and Ron,

Look forward to your thoughts and honest opinions on Explorer. Your posts are always well written.

We sailed on Explorer in May and fell under the Explorer spell. I did have some hesitation prior to the sailing, really based on all the “hype” written on here, but as soon as we set foot onboard we certainly had a wonderful time.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy yourselves. We will all be patient am sure waiting for your posts.

Enjoy the 787/9 flight across, it’s definitely one of the most comfortable flight long haul.

Regards, Jean.

Hi All, We leave tomorrow from Atlanta to Lisbon. Flying thru Paris. We are staying at the Santiago De Alfama While in Lisbon. We cruised a few times 20 years ago and then settled on land trips. This is our second cruise on Regent. We sailed on the Explorer in February and loved the ship and most everything about it. We followed the posts from the crossing last fall and it sounded like something we would enjoy, so here we will be. We look forward to meeting everyone on board and sharing a fantastic sailing with you all. Warmly, Sharon and Bob

Ronrick1943, I have also subscribed to keep up with your postings of your first Regent cruise. Of course, you are on their best which is a great way to start! Like others that are considering Explorer your impressions and insight will be most valuable. Have a safe and enjoyable voyage!

See you onboard on Friday!!! We are in Madrid now then onto Lisbon on Tuesday. Did this crossing last year. Loved it so much, doing it again. I hope the ship hasn't had too much wear and tear over this last year so that I will be just as enchanted!

Looking forward to your posts. I suspect that Explorer will be just as beautiful as she was a year ago. If there are differences, since you have been on her previously, you'll spot them.

Have a great cruise!

Rick&Ron, Bellagio, and Sharon - It will be very enjoyable and enlightening to hear some new observations, thoughts, and impressions from all of you folks, rather than from the "usual suspects". To be honest, I've been quite "put off" from considering/booking additional Regent Cruises during the past year or so - mainly because of the rancor, the "over the top" and effusive/non-objective "cheerleading" from some posters, coupled with their discounting/minimalizing of new/alternative views that have been presented on this board by a few who think they're doing the rest of us a "favor" by endless commenting (and second-guessing) on everything/anything that other observers have posted.

Contrary to what they might think, the compulsive posting has not been helpful (at least not to me) and has actually "turned me off" Regent cruising for a while and caused me to select alternative travel options to Europe, Asia, and South America over the past 2 years.

I would like to enjoy (and would actually look forward to) more Regent cruising in the future based upon fair, fresh, and objective reporting from "newer cruisers"......and not just because I'm "supposed" to like Regent based upon the views of a few "dedicated Regent loyalists" and the Regent marketing material ;)

I especially look forward to reviews from some "younger cruisers" like yourselves. Particularly with respect to the trans-Atlantic cruise that you're now on. Please tell us what you're liking and perhaps what you might not be liking so much (if anything) about this cruise. I've been considering one of those TA cruises myself! I eagerly await to read all your collective comments. Perhaps the 3 of you could "share" this thread together so the rest of us can follow along on your adventure "across the ocean". Best Regards to all! I hope you have fun!

Just so you don't think we are ignoring you. We don't board till Friday, so stay tuned for updates. We are leaving for Lisbon today and will spend 4 days there. Last night I checked the Air France web site and discovered that my carryon which was just fine for my delta flight was overweight for Air France. (we change planes in Paris) so I spent the evening repacking so that I separated out essentials into one bag and am checking the other bag here in Atlanta. I am a checked bag phobic so please may the luggage god shine on us and make sure our bag makes it all the way to Lisbon.

Sharon if both airlines are code shared would they give you the full allowance for your long haul flight with Delta? I know that recently BA changed the allowance if booked with separate tickets, but it you have one flight locator number you might possible be fine?

Have safe journey and to all on this highly anticipated thread.

Looking forward to the posts. Jean.

Rick&Ron, Bellagio, and Sharon - It will be very enjoyable and enlightening to hear some new observations, thoughts, and impressions from all of you folks, rather than from the "usual suspects". To be honest, I've been quite "put off" from considering/booking additional Regent Cruises during the past year or so - mainly because of the rancor, the "over the top" and effusive/non-objective "cheerleading" from some posters, coupled with their discounting/minimalizing of new/alternative views that have been presented on this board by a few who think they're doing the rest of us a "favor" by endless commenting (and second-guessing) on everything/anything that other observers have posted.

Contrary to what they might think, the compulsive posting has not been helpful (at least not to me) and has actually "turned me off" Regent cruising for a while and caused me to select alternative travel options to Europe, Asia, and South America over the past 2 years.

I would like to enjoy (and would actually look forward to) more Regent cruising in the future based upon fair, fresh, and objective reporting from "newer cruisers"......and not just because I'm "supposed" to like Regent based upon the views of a few "dedicated Regent loyalists" and the Regent marketing material ;)

I especially look forward to reviews from some "younger cruisers" like yourselves. Particularly with respect to the trans-Atlantic cruise that you're now on. Please tell us what you're liking and perhaps what you might not be liking so much (if anything) about this cruise. I've been considering one of those TA cruises myself! I eagerly await to read all your collective comments. Perhaps the 3 of you could "share" this thread together so the rest of us can follow along on your adventure "across the ocean". Best Regards to all! I hope you have fun!

Very wel said!, Our hopes are on Ronrick 1943.............His previous posts were very encouraging!

Ronrick1943, I hope that you share a little about your pre-cruise stay in Lisbon. I know that If I started a cruise overseas I would want a day or two to enjoy the starting point of the cruise. I imagine that there is a lot of history to be seen in Lisbon. Hopefully you can comment on any outstanding meals you have there before the cruise also.

Rick&Ron, Bellagio, and Sharon, My husband Gustavo and I are cruising on Regents for the 1st time and will be joining you all in Lisboa! We arrive Wednesday AM and are staying at the Corinthian. I have cruised 3 other times - Gustavo only twice on Celebrity. We are so excited to do the transatlantic on Explorer. This is Gustavo's birthday celebration - he will turn 60 onboard! See you at the hotel. Tedi & Gustavo

Rick&Ron, Bellagio, and Sharon, My husband Gustavo and I are cruising on Regents for the 1st time and will be joining you all in Lisboa! We arrive Wednesday AM and are staying at the Corinthian. I have cruised 3 other times - Gustavo only twice on Celebrity. We are so excited to do the transatlantic on Explorer. This is Gustavo's birthday celebration - he will turn 60 onboard! See you at the hotel. Tedi & Gustavo

Tedi, Look for us on the cruise. You can spot us wearing our Aggie t shirts. I see you are from Austin. We live in Boerne. We leave in am and arrive Lisbon Tuesday. Please join our roll call. Lisa , Rod and Mom Mom Wanda.

OK, we made it, here we are in Lisbon at the Corintia Hotel. Nice hotel, super good staff from pick up at the airport, check in, taking you to you room. We`re on the 23rd floor with a nice view, you can see the port area but dont think you will be able to see the ship. Got here via BA, great service, but food not so good and we were in 1st class. We will be on tour in the morning, hired a car for 8 hours. After that a cooking class in the evening, so that should be dinner if we cook good and pass the class I guess. If we dont pass I think we will go out for dinner. Just a few more days and we will be on the ship and will tell you more later. OH, I forgot to tell you our bags made it from San Diego, London to Lisbon just like us on time and at the luggage claim as we walked up. LUCK OR GOOD KARMA, lets go with Good Karma. Rick ^ Ron

PS, thanks for your good wishes.

We are here too. Staying at the Santiago De Alfama, it is a fantastic small boutiques hotel that was once a castle. We are on the second floor. While being shown to our room we had to cross a see thru floor that reveals the former staircase of the castle. A bit disconcerting to say the least. But very interesting. The hotel sent a driver to collect us at the airport, and that is a good idea because the hotel is very difficult to find. Our Delta flight was just OK the crew was lazy and talked very loudly interfering in our being able to sleep. Our bags made it just fine. We are heading out to check out the area around the hotel and are eating at the hotel tonight. Tomorrow we head to Sintra with a private guide.

Thats great you guys have all made it to Lisbon in one piece and with all your luggage too!

Hope you all enjoy your various, hotels, excursions and fabulous food / cooking classes etc.

I'm sure you will make the most of your free days and then the next adventure in a few days.

Have a blast! Pam.

Just a quick up date on the hotel Corinthia. We are ending are 2nd night here at the hotel, still a very nice hotel and the staff is outstanding. However that said------This is a business hotel and really busy, just too many people all over the place,. This hotel can not handle the amount of people, so you will not really enjoy your visit unless your in your room. The executive lounge has so many more people in it you can not find a place to sit and enjoy what you paid for.....

We are on tour and will not be around for the day. I would not stay here again. And when I say a lot of people I mean you can not walk though the lobby. In fact if we did not have a nice suite and did not unpack we would be checking out and moving to another hotel, but with only 3 more nights it is not worth it. PS, still having a good time in Lisbon. Rick