Eielson Transit Bus - Denali - best time?

little britain

As bookings have now opened for 2018 - I wondered what was the best time bus - if there is such a thing! They go every 30 minutes.

Best to view animals earlier or later in the day? Best viewing conditions if Mt Denali is coming out - earlier or later in the day?

TIA.

I tried for the 7:30 bus and then the 8:00 bus. We had a group of 12 and the earliest bus all 12 off us could get on was the 8:30 bus. I wanted to get into the park earlier so that would get out earlier to enjoy a little free time in the afternoon before dinner. On the 8:30 bus we saw what I consider a lot of wildlife. We saw moose, caribou, sheep and bears. In addition to the wildlife, Denali was out in all its glory! I don't know if an earlier or later bus would have seen more than what we saw but we were very pleased with the trip we had.

I've taken the shuttles as early as 7:30am and as late as 2pm. Great sightings every time.

I PREFER to take the shuttle at a time when I'll be most comfortable. ie I refuse to get up at 4:30am to catch the first shuttle just because people say earlier is better. I would be tired and grouchy all day. I know i'll be up and ready to roll by 7 so any time after 7:30 will work for me.

I tried for the 7:30 bus and then the 8:00 bus. We had a group of 12 and the earliest bus all 12 off us could get on was the 8:30 bus. I wanted to get into the park earlier so that would get out earlier to enjoy a little free time in the afternoon before dinner. On the 8:30 bus we saw what I consider a lot of wildlife. We saw moose, caribou, sheep and bears. In addition to the wildlife, Denali was out in all its glory! I don't know if an earlier or later bus would have seen more than what we saw but we were very pleased with the trip we had.

I have never gone into Denali before. I am debating if I want a long day of shuttling in a bus. I have done the Seward to Anchorage train and the tour boats out of Seward. This Cruise will be into Whittier this May. We will have the scenic bus drive to Anchorage, stopping at the overlook and animal park. We have rented a car in Anchorage from the airport. Then driving to Talkeenta, Healy, Denali, and Fairbanks over 4-5 days. We are Planning on a plane over Denali and maybe a river float. Also a hike at Healy overlook. What more does the shuttle into Denali have to give you, for a whole day on a shuttle? Thanks in advance.

I have never gone into Denali before. I am debating if I want a long day of shuttling in a bus. I have done the Seward to Anchorage train and the tour boats out of Seward. This Cruise will be into Whittier this May. We will have the scenic bus drive to Anchorage, stopping at the overlook and animal park. We have rented a car in Anchorage from the airport. Then driving to Talkeenta, Healy, Denali, and Fairbanks over 4-5 days. We are Planning on a plane over Denali and maybe a river float. Also a hike at Healy overlook. What more does the shuttle into Denali have to give you, for a whole day on a shuttle? Thanks in advance.

Wildlife. And gorgeous scenery. 8 hrs. sounded like a lot to us too but the day went by quickly. We saw a lot of wildlife (bears, moose, caribou, dall sheep) and the views of the mountains changed around every corner.

If you aren't interested in going into the park to see wildlife, why are you going to Denali? It's a long drive. You can do a plane trip to Denali from Anchorage.

I've taken the shuttles as early as 7:30am and as late as 2pm. Great sightings every time.

I PREFER to take the shuttle at a time when I'll be most comfortable. ie I refuse to get up at 4:30am to catch the first shuttle just because people say earlier is better. I would be tired and grouchy all day. I know i'll be up and ready to roll by 7 so any time after 7:30 will work for me.

LOL I like your way of thinking! I am also not a morning person so have booked the 9am shuttle! Lets hope the bears are late risers too!

If you aren't interested in going into the park to see wildlife, why are you going to Denali? It's a long drive. You can do a plane trip to Denali from Anchorage.

I am Not sure about the long day shuttle. Trying to get some experienced travelers opinions. I have been to Anchorage. The flight out of Talkeenta lands on the Glacier. I want to experience more of Alaska. We are planning on hiking Healy outlook, maybe some river rafting, or float trip, In Fairbanks riverboat and Gold Dredge 8.

I am Not sure about the long day shuttle.

By long day you must be referring to the 13 hr Kantishna shuttle. It's not the only trip available, so if you're concerned about the length of time, choose something shorter !

I've been on the 8 hr shuttle to Eielson several times. I don't consider it a long day at all. I'm too busy enjoying the scenery and watching for wildlife. Watching a sow graze on a hillside while her cubs tumble and play is pretty awesome. I've always seen caribou, dall sheep, bears with cubs, moose, and on one trip a lynx with 2 kits.

I prefer to take the 8am shuttle, which gets to Eielson Visitor Center around noon, where we spend 30-40 minutes having lunch, enjoying the exhibits, and hopefully a view of the mtn, then it takes s a little over 3 hrs for the return trip.

(The Toklat shuttle is a little shorter, about 6 hrs, but it only gets to the edge of prime bear viewing , so the extra 2 hrs to Eielson is worth the extra time.)

I don't think you have to stay on it the whole time if you think it's too long. I believe you can ask to be let off and flag down a returning shuttle. If they have room, you can ride back with them. That early in the season, I don't know if that would be a problem or not. Just a suggestion!