Fishing in Ketchikan late May

fedexretiree

We will be in Ketchikan late May and would like to try to go fishing. I have read that it's really too early for Salmon fishing but halibut may be caught at that time. I would like to get any feedback from anyone who's done fishing and the name of the company you used.

I have seen many people pay $$$$ to go fishing in Ketchikan at the end of May and they all come back empty and disappointed. Have not done it personally.

Oh wow.. not the answer I was hoping for. Thanks. My husband and I actually did a fishing trip in Ketchikan about 8 years ago but it was a ship sponsored trip. We didn't catch anything either but I just thought maybe it was a bad day. I can't remember the name of the guys that we went with but they didn't seem like this was something they did for a living either. We did more riding around in a big circle in a cove than fishing.

My family fishes in Alaska, over many years, I can not recall hearing of anyone successful fishing in May. Just simply too early. My family is always later- and specific for peak areas. Halibut is is even less heard of with ship passengers.

IF you are just going to be happy with "fishing" and not "catching" then go ahead with your plans. Determine- what you want out of the experience?

I agree with the feedback.

IMHO and based on sailing that time of year compared to later in the season it is too early to go fishing but as mentioned if you are not disappointed if you don't catch anything you could still go out there. Of course there are many other things to do in Ketchikan so you may want to do something else this time around.

Keith