Victoria - full day in port - day or night tour of Butchart Gardens?

weloveourdoggie

We will have a full day in port in May - we have seen Butchart Gardens a few years ago in September, and I have always wanted to return in the spring to see the difference. Fall was beautiful. Since we have day and night, does anyone have a suggestion as to which time frame would be more beautiful? We would also like to do some type of city tour, looking for any suggestions you may have. Thank you for any help.clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

It's been a few years, but we found day time traffic out to the gardens horrible and we barely made it back in time to catch the ship. It left us no time to see anything else. I guess if you really want to see it, do it first and come back near the ship and do whatever else you might have time for. I can't think seeing it at night is all that impressive, but then I wasn't all that impressed anyway. I guess I am not a flower guy. I would have loved to do the Empress Hotel, but we didn't have time as we "wasted" it seeing flowers!!!

I have been there both day and night. In my opinion, the day is much, much better. At night, it was dark enough in some areas of the gardens that we were concerned about finding our way back to the bus. I wouldn’t do it again at night, but I would LOVE to go again in the daytime. So beautiful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I am not a flower guy. I would have loved to do the Empress Hotel, but we didn't have time as we "wasted" it seeing flowers!!!

That's fine you are not a "flower guy", many aren't. But I have to ask why you felt you missed out by not "doing" the Empress Hotel? Why do you think you missed out? You could have seen it in 15 minutes. :D

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Highly recommend the firework show at the gardens. Hopefully your timing will allow for it.

No; OP is going in May and fireworks start June 30.

EDIT: Oh, I see OP also posted in another forum -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2602392

Edited by Langley Cruisers

That's fine you are not a "flower guy", many aren't. But I have to ask why you felt you missed out by not "doing" the Empress Hotel? Why do you think you missed out? You could have seen it in 15 minutes. :D

Well since I didn't make it I guess I don't know what I didn't miss.

I hope it is not early May - we were there about 2 years ago in early May and were disappointed that there were few hanging baskets out in Victoria and then we went to some gardens in Vancouver and saw alot of black dirt! So hopefully the summer plantings will be finished if you head up to Butchart.

• 2 weeks later...

You are better to go to the Gardens during the day. Traffic can be a bit of a headache with the ferry traffic. They are already starting to have visitors to the Gardens, and it is only March. If you do downtown area in the later part of the day you are only 10 minutes from the terminal.

I deal with the ferry traffic everyday going to and from work... Just saying.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the replies. And Idahospud, your pictures are so beautiful. Exactly what I am hoping to see, lots of tulips!! We will be there May 10th, the same date you took those pics!

:D:D

We will be there May 8. We'll get the place spiffed up and make it extra pretty for you!