Oceania/Nautica: 1st Timers!! Tips, Secrets?

TLCOhio

This morning was the first day to do bookings on tours with Oceania for our mid-November Athens to Dubai trip. We have the O-Life optionsthat could include the potential for eight tours being "free" and included (if they are $199 pp or less) as a part of this benefit package.

The process was easy and simple. All booked and done. The best part?? When completed at check-out, the total price was ZERO!! If booking separately, it would have been $1352. That was nice.

We have previously been to Patmos and will figure our own "creative" option for there on this trip. Maybe something radical like hanging out on the beach? For the two days each for Israel and Luxor, we would aim to do private, overnight options. Things are starting to come together!!

Questions? How many days ahead do the booking open up for the two speciality dining options on the Nautica? What are the latest pro/con factors and special tips for the Polo Grill versus Toscana? Lots of very good options to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On your O life "free" excursions. These count toward the number you need to get the O World 25% discount on any additional shore excursions.

Polo and Toscana

You can find the menus on the Oceania web site

Polo:

• We love the prime rib and the Lobster Bisque
  • Not so fond of the whole Lobster -- not a live one but a frozen one
  • Veal chop is massive
  • Best seat in the house -- the aft seats -- great view

Toscana:

• Try the Osso Buco -- consistent on all the ships
  • The Lobster Fra Diavolo can be good or bad depending on chef as some tend to overcook the lobster
  • Best surprise -- the Pork Chop. Ask for it medium -- otherwise too dry
  • Definitely try the Olive Oil/Balsamic Cart
  • Definitely ask for the fresh Parmigiana cheese-- goes great with a red wine
  • Best seat -- in past is near the front. The service seams to be better close to the Maitre'D

• Like 1

On your O life "free" excursions. These count toward the number you need to get the O World 25% discount on any additional shore excursions.

Polo:

• We love the prime rib and the Lobster Bisque
  • Not so fond of the whole Lobster -- not a live one but a frozen one
  • Veal chop is massive
  • Best seat in the house -- the aft seats -- great view

Toscana:

• Try the Osso Buco -- consistent on all the ships
  • The Lobster Fra Diavolo can be good or bad depending on chef as some tend to overcook the lobster
  • Best surprise -- the Pork Chop. Ask for it medium -- otherwise too dry
  • Definitely try the Olive Oil/Balsamic Cart
  • Definitely ask for the fresh Parmigiana cheese-- goes great with a red wine
  • Best seat -- in past is near the front. The service seams to be better close to the Maitre'D

Great added details and insights from Paul. Really helps focus and think on these dining locations. Since we will be spending 20 days on this ship, we need to be prepared accordingly. Yes, seeing those menus ahead from the Oceania website does help us in preparing for doing our first sailing with the company. Personally, I always love Osso Buco!!

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 37,856 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 3 weeks later...

During the past couple of weeks, we have started to be more focused on details for our mid-November 2018 first cruise with Oceania from Athens to Dubai. Lots of details and items to consider and set-up. Have started getting some ship excursions booked, researching for private tours for Luxor, Jerusalem, Petra, etc. BUT, I have a couple of Oceania-focused questions for this first-timer with this cruise line:

1. With the O-Life option, Oceania will provide for our air flights to Athens and back from Dubai. BUT, there is also the "custom air" service that gives us more options as to picking our carriers, routes, times, etc. There is a $175 pp fee for this service that allows us to set-up our flights earlier. This could be better fo us in maybe being able to get flights connected with American Airlines and their partners (for the added miles), potential better abilities to do upgrades at our expense, etc. What have been your experiences or suggestions in doing the "custom air" service through Oceania?

2. When doing private tours in ports, how is Oceania about letting folks get off of the ship early and/or promptly? Some cruise lines like to scare and/or hassle those not using the ship's tours. Any "games" that Oceania plays in these areas? Or, is it all smooth and fairly easy getting off of the ship when doing your own private excursions?

THANKS for all of these many good tips, insights, etc.! Keep up the great sharing. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 199,472 views for this posting.

During the past couple of weeks, we have started to be more focused on details for our mid-November 2018 first cruise with Oceania from Athens to Dubai. Lots of details and items to consider and set-up. Have started getting some ship excursions booked, researching for private tours for Luxor, Jerusalem, Petra, etc. BUT, I have a couple of Oceania-focused questions for this first-timer with this cruise line:

1. With the O-Life option, Oceania will provide for our air flights to Athens and back from Dubai. BUT, there is also the "custom air" service that gives us more options as to picking our carriers, routes, times, etc. There is a $175 pp fee for this service that allows us to set-up our flights earlier. This could be better fo us in maybe being able to get flights connected with American Airlines and their partners (for the added miles), potential better abilities to do upgrades at our expense, etc. What have been your experiences or suggestions in doing the "custom air" service through Oceania?

2. When doing private tours in ports, how is Oceania about letting folks get off of the ship early and/or promptly? Some cruise lines like to scare and/or hassle those not using the ship's tours. Any "games" that Oceania plays in these areas? Or, is it all smooth and fairly easy getting off of the ship when doing your own private excursions?

THANKS for all of these many good tips, insights, etc.! Keep up the great sharing. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 199,472 views for this posting.

Terry, I hate to give this pat response but both of those questions have been covered in depth on other threads. A search should turn up everything you want to know about them.

If you're directionally challenged like me, when you get off the elevator and have to figure out which way to turn to get to your stateroom, look for the telephone on the wall on one side of the ship on most or all decks. I forget which side they're on, but knowing whether you need to turn towards them or away from them helped me! Also, I like to take a name tag holder in which to put my room card. I don't like carrying anything, and often don't have pockets, so it's helpful. You'll be using it a lot on the ship and going off and coming back on. The only thing is, don't punch the card without first checking with O to see if that will harm it. There are lanyards you can get, but I just found that a simple name tag plastic insert on a long ribbon or something worked just as well.

>>>1. With the O-Life option, Oceania will provide for our air flights to Athens and back from Dubai. BUT, there is also the "custom air" service that gives us more options as to picking our carriers, routes, times, etc. There is a $175 pp fee for this service that allows us to set-up our flights earlier. This could be better fo us in maybe being able to get flights connected with American Airlines and their partners (for the added miles), potential better abilities to do upgrades at our expense, etc. What have been your experiences or suggestions in doing the "custom air" service through Oceania?>>>

I would check what you can get for flights on your own & also ask Oceania what flights they will give you for the dates you want

You can submit the flight you want & see if there is any upcharge

You can then make an informed decision

You do not pay the deviation fee until you agree on the flights

We always fly in a day or more early would hate to miss the ship

We’ve had no issues getting ashore for private tours on Oceania but we always get to the tender issue area early. Often an early tender for independent passengers will go ashore before the tours go out, depending on the ship tour schedule. A couple times we told the ticket issue people we had to get our group ashore ASAP and we were accommodated.

Oceania Air gets you to the embarkation city the day the cruise departs. I doubt you want to start your cruise jet lagged and dead tired.

The air deviation fee is well worth it.

But it seems we always end up taking the air credit and booking our own air. We want business class to Europe, especially all the way to Athens. On shorter flights we will use air miles, credit card points.

I would check what you can get for flights on your own & also ask Oceania what flights they will give you for the dates you want. You can submit the flight you want & see if there is any upcharge. You can then make an informed decision. You do not pay the deviation fee until you agree on the flights. We always fly in a day or more early would hate to miss the ship.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and added info/comments. Very helpful!! Keep up the great sharing. Have done detailed research on the airline flight options and have a good idea as to what would work best for our needs. Am planning during the coming week to have our TA send that requested schedule to Oceania to see if they get that plan finalized. Will keep you posted as to how that works.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 223,949 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 months later...

Had a phone call yesterday from an Oceania representative trying to pitch future sailings with them. Not ready to make that commitment/decision until after doing this first sailing with Oceania in November. BUT, I took advantage of this call to ask some questions about our upcoming Athens to Dubai trip. Among the highlight from this discussion were:

1. Just 104 days until our sail-away from Greece. This sailing is totally sold-out for all categories of rooms. Popular itinerary!! That's why we signed up for our first sailing with Oceania.

2. At 4 pm each day, there will be "tea time" and it features a string quartet playing live music. Sound impressive and very, very classy!! Right?

3. He highly suggested trying their special burger at the Waves Grill near the pool. It is more of a "surf and turf" sandwich, including some lobster. Sounds tasty and special, right?

Our excitement is building for this cruise, these great ports, traveling with friends, etc. What other tips and suggestions to share from those who have done Oceania previously?

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 30,549 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

2. At 4 pm each day, there will be "tea time" and it features a string quartet playing live music. Sound impressive and very, very classy!! Right?

3. He highly suggested trying their special burger at the Waves Grill near the pool. It is more of a "surf and turf" sandwich, including some lobster. Sounds tasty and special, right?

Our excitement is building for this cruise, these great ports, traveling with friends, etc. What other tips and suggestions to share from those who have done Oceania previously?

Terry,

The teas are special and we like to go several times during the cruise. There will not be tea on embarkation day.

In addition to the servers with trays and carts there is also a counter with some sandwiches & desserts that is serviced by staff for "faster" service.

Some people get "double surf, no turf" sandwich - either way it is good.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Apologies if these have already been mentioned. I didn't read the whole thread.

I know you like photography, as I've enjoyed your pictures in the Ports of Call section! There's no special place to do that from the "R" ships (for example, as you're coming into/leaving a port, or if lighthouses interest you). However, I usually go up as high as I can (forget what deck it is) and then go toward the middle of the ship so that I can at least see on both sides. I forget if that's by the fishes sculpture ot what, but I like a place where I can see on both sides without roaming around. Of course, the Terrace restaurant is quite good, as long as you're not impeding the waiters/cruisers trying to serve and eat meals there!

Even if you're not into shows much, I'd suggest going to the "Salute" show with "special guests" that is usually held on the night before the last night of each cruise. That is especially true if you've thought the service on Oceania was good!

Book your Polo and Toscana reservations as soon as the booking period for your group opens, especially if you're picky about times, and especially if you're in the last group to book. (I think that includes regular veranda rooms as well as the inside and oceanviews, but not sure.) . The sea days, around 7 pm, are quite popular. Of course, it is often possible to find something once you get on board, especially if you ask a lot!

I love Toscana; my husband loves Polo.

Don't pass up the Terrace at night for dinner. There is a grill with steaks, chops, shrimp, etc. cooked to order that's quite good. Also for variety keep in mind that the Terrace is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I believe Waves has smallish breakfast, so you don't have to choose the Terrace or main dining room for breakfast every day. There are also various pastries and coffee available around the ship if you're an early bird. For lunch, we like Waves a lot, and of course the smoothies are good, too, not just the sandwiches.

Most O cruisers don't spend tons of time at the pool, but if you DO go to the pool and want a more private place, the deck way up top is nice. You won't have a lot of bar service up there, though.

If you want a book from the library, go there first day. There are lots of travel books but they don't always stick around. Some magically re-appear the last few days of the cruise.

There are 2 computers in the library. I've found wifi isn't great there, however. Oceania at Sea is better, and there's a view, too!

If you find the coverlet is too hot at night, just ask for a light blanket.

They may have changed this, but I don't think there's a night light on O ships; if that's essential, bring your own. There IS an alarm clock.

Don't try to do laundry or iron on embarkation day - laundry rooms are very busy.

Enjoy Oceania and take pictures! You take great pictures! Your itinerary sounds great. I hope to get to that part of the world some day....

Edited by roothy123

If you want a book from the library, go there first day. There are lots of travel books but they don't always stick around. Some magically re-appear the last few days of the cruise.

You hit on one of my pet peeves. These travel books are meant to be read in the library and not taken to the cabin for the duration of the cruise. It is terribly selfish and inconsiderate.

One should either do their research at home or buy the travel book and bring it with you for your private use rather than “steal” the public copy for your private use. Novels and other non-travel related books are different - it is not likely that many people would want to read the same novel. That is not true for a single copy of a travel book for the region where the cruise is - many others are likely interested in that book.

This is not a library where one can check out books like in a public library and they usually do not have multiple copies of the same book. Just look up the information you need, make notes and leave the book in the library so that others can do the same. Be considerate and share!

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

So are all the books in the library meant for research only? Have not cruised on Oceania yet (but are booked next year) but on Princess one is allowed to check out two books at a time.

there is no check out person

it is an open library you take what you want to read & return it when you are done

There is also a book exchange section where people can leave the book they brought onboard or they can pick up one someone has left

So are all the books in the library meant for research only? Have not cruised on Oceania yet (but are booked next year) but on Princess one is allowed to check out two books at a time.

Yes and no. If you want to read “The Great Gatsby” you can take it and read it during the cruise. However, if you are on a cruise around Spain and there is only 1 travel book on Spain, it would be nice and considerate if you researched what you wanted and left the book in the library for others to be able to do the same. You don’t need that book in your cabin for 2 weeks.

It’s not very likely that many others will want to read the Gatsby on that cruise (there are other alternatives) but it is very likely that many others would be interested in reading about Spain on this cruise.

Is that a difficult concept to understand?

PS This is not meant as a personal note to you - it is a generalization.

IIRC there is a section for reference books (Encyclopedia, dictionary, travel books) but I am not certain; and if there isn’t there such a section, there should be one.

JMO.

Paul

I agree to a point

with the free internet now it would be more up to date info to just search online rather than an outdated travel book

JMO

That is true but not everyone is “on the net”. There are some people that are more comfortable with the print and are not “connected” :)

That is true but not everyone is “on the net”. There are some people that are more comfortable with the print and are not “connected” :)

true

There is always those that feel "it is all about me " ;)

I was disappointed in the book selection on Marina this cruise seems like they had a clear out ..very few of my favourite authors to be found unlike our Dec Riviera cruise

JMO

I agree with Paulchili that the travel books should be treated as "reference books" and not for take-out. Will still happen of course by the entitled but might give a few pause to reconsider.

A couple of other reasons books can be of value vs. pouring over the internet is one knows the author that has published credibly and vested interest (in book sales), suggestions, tips, reviews. maps not published on the internet by the author. True the books can be dated but a maybe hard-to-find map old town Nice with some site highlighted will not have much changed. And so convenient to take it off ship for a walk-about :}

• 8 months later...

As noted earlier, I much appreciate the wide range of great comments and excellent earlier follow-ups about Oceania and the Nautica. Very helpful to be prepared for this trip and to maximize the experience during this cruise.   

Some might have noticed, others could have missed it, but I did a detailed live/blog that is connected below.  To "complete the loop", I thought I would I also share here the many details, opinions, background and insights as to the various pro/con factors we experienced in doing our first sailing with Oceania.  Plus, just a few pictures below and later.  

Below starts part one of my detailed comments as relates to Oceania, etc.  Hope these items are of help.  More to come!!  Plus, some suggestions and areas for improvement.

Overall, YES, we enjoyed Oceania and the Nautica.  We would sail with them again, if it was the right itinerary, good timing and value, etc.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

OCEANIA PLUSES, SURPRISES, POSITIVES, LOVES, TIPS, etc. (part one): 

1. Oceania staff: After doing eleven different cruises on six different lines, we expected the staff with Oceania to be good or better.  BUT, our actual experiences on this 20-day Oceania Nautica sailing were much, much above any reasonable or normal expectations.  For our two cabin staff members and in the dining areas, the crew did not just seem or merely “act happy”.  But, they were genuinely so positive and helpful that it added up to be a major plus on this first sailing with Oceania.  The Captain during a Q&A session discussed their staff training, promotions from within policy and encouragements for the crew to aspire to the highest levels of service.  It’s true!!  Not just some company hype, spin and/or BS. Earlier on our live/blog, I posted a number of pictures of the excellent staff we encountered.  It was a big PLUS with the great staff that made our trip so much more enjoyable.  Most all of them were very experienced, helpful and so totally hard-working!! 

2. Ship itinerary:  In trying Oceania for the first time, the main attraction was this great Athens to Dubai schedule that included two-day port stops in both Israel and Egypt.  Plus, this schedule offered so many very good and interesting other locations and potentials for those of us who enjoy history, culture, scenic locations, food, architecture, etc.  All worked well!!  With a smaller ship like the Nautica, they can visit some different and unique places in the world.  Cannot say enough about this long, but great schedule for us to be able to do our first visit in some of the world’s best and most special locations. AND, we accomplished these objectives all in one cruise, plus the opportunity to have added time prior in Greece and post-cruise to explore the fast-evolving United Arab Emirates. 

3. Favorite “hide-away” location/Library:  For my interests, I really loved the library on the 10th floor of the Nautica.  It has very comfortable seating, offers a classic styling/setting, was close to our elevator bank and was never very busy or crowded.   This was especially great for me early in the mornings to allow my wife to sleep a little later and give me time to review pictures, do live/blog postings, etc.  Several times while there, the ship General Manager walked through and I was able to ask him some questions, gain added information, share my comments, etc. While I did not use the library for getting specific books, it seemed to have a fairly large and varied collection.  As others have mentioned, get there early for books to better satisfy your personal interests before their collection gets too picked over. 

4. Speciality dining:  Which one was best? Toscana and Polo are both so fabulous with their classy settings, wide-ranging menus and nice staffing.  However, these specialty restaurants did not change their menus during our 20-day cruise.  Did that cause a problem?  No!  Why?  Each of these two menus are so big and the options are many!!  Clearly these locations need advanced reservations.  We were fortunate that our traveling companions, Amy and Milt, had a Penthouse Suite and those reservations can be made 75 days prior to sailing.  We made three reservations at each location stretched out over our long cruise.  Only one of the available reservation was later in the evening than when we desired.  Later on the ship, we were able to get that time adjusted and all worked very well. 

5. Dining quality/times:  YES, the food with Oceania is very good, but it, however, can be challenging to avoid gaining too much “width” while on the ship.  Eating too much is another question for another day.  All, however, was not “perfect”, if that is possible with Oceania food.   I have some suggestions to be made in the next posting if the CEO of Oceania called and asked for my detailed ideas as to their menu options on a long cruise.  Nothing major.  Just sharing that food over a twenty-day cruise can be a little bit of a complex topic.  Among the “stars” are their breads and baked goods.  In the main dining room, having the dining timing flexibility is a major, very important plus for us.  Hate it on some ships that require you to fit and adjust to “their schedule” for doing either a fixed early OR late seating time.  We generally on this Nautica cruise dined in a location near the back of the ship in the MDR and had the same, excellent staff members serving us each time.  Worked so well!!  Over the 20 days, we dined in the MDR about 12 times.  Two of the evenings, we were off of the ship doing overnights in Jerusalem and Luxor/Egypt.  The other six times in the evenings, we were not in the MDR because of using the speciality dining venues.  We did not do any evening dining in the Terrace buffet area. In the buffet, they offered some interesting special nights, but we were very happy with the main dining area and/or enjoyed being in the speciality areas.  Plus, after using the buffet for most breakfasts and lunches, it was good have more variety of location in the evening. 

6. Terrace dining:  For most breakfasts or lunches, we headed to the Terrace dining area.  Worked very well.  At times, however the Terrace would get fairly crowded and super busy.  But we tried to adjust accordingly.  Ideally, there would be more room there in the Terrace.  While using the Terrace, our super favorite was to enjoy our meals while out on the patio.  Super location and views.  And, it got us away from the “congestion” in the main parts of Terrace interiors.  Great fun, fresh air and sights being out there on this open-air area.  There was decent variety through this buffet, but at times, I would have desired a little more for “creative options” of with the various desserts.  But, we did not starve or go hungry.   

7. Entertainment:  Overall, most do not rate Oceania that high for entertainment.  That’s understandable given that this is a smaller ship and you cannot economically support doing big production shows as done on ship with three to five thousand passengers.  But, overall, there was a decent range of evening programs/options and I enjoyed, mostly, these various offerings.  The five young singers/dancers had good spirit and energy, plus reasonable talents.  The Cruise Director, as I had mentioned earlier on the live/blog, did a very good job, was very active around the ship, etc.  Liked her fun Aussie style, energy, talent and activities.   

8. Ship speakers?:   As detailed earlier on this live/blog, the two ship speakers on the ship for this type of long journey worked very well.  Both were very approachable, interesting, skilled, knowledgable, etc.  They had presentation with nice visuals and video clips that aided so much in understanding these historic and significant areas that we were visiting.  On this cruise, these two speakers were major pluses!!

9. Surprise location/stop?:  Petra/Jordan was our biggest surprise location/stop.  We knew in advance that Jerusalem and Egypt/Luxor would be super major and impressive.  They were!!  And, much more!!!  But in Jordan, we were blown away to be riding on the “Silk Road” or King’s Highway in order to reach Petra.  Yes, I mean that “Silk Road” known as so significant in ancient history of connecting the East and the West.  Plus, then in Jordan to do Wadi Rum, etc., added to the amazement for this exotic region. 

10. Great, Skilled Captain:  Our Nautica Captain was very impressive, especially in hearing when he was doing a wide-ranging and interesting Q&A (question and answer) session for us as passenger during our sailing down the Red Sea.  Also, running into him and talking with him during our overnight in Dubai was fascinating as he was coming back from doing a bike ride during this final stop.  I felt very comfortable that this Captain was a strong, capable leader who communicated well and understood the passenger needs/interests.

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg

Below is part two of my various comments, reactions regarding Oceania and the Nautica.  Hope these are of help.  Happy to share more and/or answer any questions.  Then, I will be offerings some of my suggestions and ideas for change/improvement.  There is always room to make changes and do certain areas in a little better manner.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,507 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

OCEANIA PLUSES, SURPRISES, POSITIVES, LOVES, TIPS, etc. (part two):

11. Elevators:  Worked well!!  There was a reasonable number available in both parts of the Nautica.  No major challenges with long waits, floors not being marked well, etc. 

12. Pool:  Given the combination of busy port schedules and/or whether that it was not that hot during most of the cruise, we did not use this area that much.  But, the pool and seat seemed good enough if that was your interest.  It was always nice to walk through, above or around the pool area.  That gives off a nice “vibe” for what cruise ship resorts are all about in offering.

13. Air travel arrangements:  Our coach air arrangements were included with our cruise cost package.  We also paid a little more to be able to do some adjustments in order to get the exact dates, airlines, timings, etc., that we desired.  That worked well for us, even if it  cost a little more.  And, it was worth it to be able to tie in with American Airlines where we would get the added Frequent Flyer miles, plus pay to AA a little additional to get the extended leg room seats.  We did not just take what was offered for air flights.  You can and should do added time before and after your cruise’s timing, plus customize your flight to be fit your personal interests. 

14. Horizons Lounge:  For afternoon tea, especially on sea days, this was an excellent setting.  What was not to like with the live music, including their string quartet, nice food and service, etc.?  We watched the narrated and interesting passage through Suez Canal from this location.  The string quartet also played each night in the great hall area that was enjoyable to sample as we pass through that part of the ship.

15. Passengers on-board: As expected, the largest group was from the United States, but there was a sizable number from China and Asia.  We were surprised to see that wider diversity on this cruise.  A few times, some in these larger groups from Asia got a little “excited” in enjoying themselves.  That could be a little “distracting” in the main dining room, but we all adjusted accordingly. 

16. Concierge cabin: Is it worth it?  Maybe?  Maybe not? Much depends on your budget flexibility, what you can afford, etc.  One of the favorites that we gained was the three free bags of laundry.  On a twenty-day cruise, that was very helpful!!   The spa terrace on the R ships is available to concierge category passengers.  We did not use this feature that much, but it was an option and is a nice area.  Maybe with Concierge we had better, more experienced cabin staffing.  Do not know if that is actually true, but we were super pleased with our two cabin stewards.   

17. Weather/timing/fellow passengers: Great timing for this part of the world.  Not too hot or excessively cool here by choosing to cruise at this time of the year in the Middle East.  In the summers, it would be rather too, too warm for many of these countries.  At this time of the year and for this long of a cruise, the passengers are older, mostly retired and few children were seen.  Those demographics made us seem just like “middle-agers”!!   Not older folks.  Nice comparison?

18. Internet: It's a ship at sea. It's never going to be super fast and perfect like at home or work as if with true, high-speed wiring. BUT, overall, things worked reasonably well for my personal needs.  I did much on the web, including for posting the live/blog, surfing news stories and doing many picture up-loadings.  Yes, for early mornings and some later evenings, the Internet might work a little better.  At most locations around on the ship, the wireless seemed to work fairly well.  A couple of times, there was a challenge logging on as I had not previously logged out properly.  That was easy to solve.  As a part of our OLife package, we had unlimited web access, but we did not need or desire to pay more for being able to do the higher-speed video connections.  With this regular Internet on the ship, you cannot do streaming video.  It would be nice to have that higher level of access, but it is not worth if, for us, to pay that extra up-charge.  As this was the college football season when on this sailing, we were able to follow along via ESPN and a couple of different Ohio newspaper to get nearly real-time updates for key games, including Ohio State vs. Michigan and the Big Ten Championship.  Our team won both!!  That made it much more fun for following along!! 

19. Other Angles/Views:  From our very experienced travel agent, she had not previously sailed with Oceania.  She just completed in the past month being on the Oceania with a sister ship to our Nautica in the South Pacific.  She sailed on the Regatta, also an R-class cruise ship, that was built in 1998.  Among her first impressions and summary likes/comments: “Fresh berries and freshly-squeezed orange juice daily.  All the lobster you can eat in many different recipes including the best lobster mac and cheese.  Ship-made sorbet and ice cream daily, about 10 different flavors including macadamia, rocky road and pear tart.  All the Wagu and Angus beef you want, from hamburgs to filet mignon and beef Wellington.  All the premium bottled waters you can drink, including Perrier and San Pelligrino.  Milk shakes and malts made to order, frothy and just like the old  days in a soda fountain.  Drinks and wine, however, are somewhat expensive!  A special menu only for selecting Balsamic vinegars and Italian olive oils.  A few more clues: Takes 13 laps to walk a mile.  Their ‘older’ ships are classics in their time, with furnishings that antiquers love (fireplaces and cushy chairs, painted recessed ceilings and gilt framed paintings on the walls, oriental-style carpets, etc.) are being replaced with silver and aqua tones, lighter and brighter interiors.”

From the closing staff recognition program, this first picture shows the very capable General Manager speaking with the Cruise Director at his immediate left, plus a couple of the performers, etc.  The second visual shows more of the crew with the CD talking.  Well-deserved recognition for the hard-working staff!!:

2060678748_CMA_00242.jpg.81ae2a3c202e5065ffb4ec9df75a1dc6.jpg

89654800_CMA_00141.jpg.ca3bddba9103baba564d06a22dd4eeaf.jpg

Here is view of the pool from the upper level vantage point.  Nice and sunny this day, but this area was not too crowded.:

CMA_9618.jpg.e5caf6ad2e80b6077937356bdd4d5c5f.jpg

Here are a few additional Nautica visuals.  First, in our room, I liked these soaps and other items with the great Italian-brand connection.  Not sure if all rooms had this brand.  We did as being in a Concierge cabin.  Second is the wonderful Terrance outdoor dining area that we super loved for many nice breakfasts and lunches!!  Yes, you can see a couple children in that one picture.:

IMG_3523.thumb.jpg.5833a4ea871f7957f65aa585d6f085cd.jpg

382212443_CMA_95961.jpg.3fa4bc4f40683cd39d0cf0af0ea2257e.jpg

Here is a little sample of the Waves menu options offered during our Nautica sailing.  Tasted good in a nice setting.  But, it could get a little crowded and confused at times there during busy sea days.  Second is an example that hand sanitation was pushed and justifiably encouraged for us while on the Nautica.:

383442546_CMA_96153.jpg.f796cebbfa8437708f3a2f7037cb23af.jpg

1584470503_CMA_96112.thumb.jpg.bc4a2fb51f03cd425f439a4bc0133afd.jpg

Here is my summary for some “hits-and-misses” and/or ideas/suggestions for improvements that Oceania could consider or do in the future.  This is not a huge or long listing, but I just wanted to share that there are always opportunities for changes and upgrades to consider by management.   

Fire away!!  Agree or disagree??  Happy to respond to any added questions, comments, insights, etc.  

NEEDING ATTENTION, IMPROVEMENTS, CHANGES?: 

1. Excursions/Pricings?: These offerings tended to be high in price, plus not always the best in “value” compared to doing private tours.   We did have the Olife excursion option of four “free” tours each.  These were “OK”, somewhat and maybe??!!  One tour day was very marginal and we were fortunately able to skip the last scheduled Oceania tour in Muscat, Oman, and do a much better private excursion.  I realize that some local tours are limited by what is available to Oceania in each port.  It is not totally under their control.  But, overall their pricing is high and lacking in value.   Fortunately in traveling with another couple and with advance research/planning, we did private tours prior to our cruise in Athens, plus in Jerusalem and Luxor overnight, for Petra and Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc.  These private tours were super and made such a positive contrast to what Oceania offered/provided. 

2. Menu variety?:  In the Grand Dining Room, the biggest complaint was that the choices for the first two courses before the main entrees got rather old and very repetitive.  There was a serious need for more creative and wider options with this initial part of their GDR menus.  Yes, we were on a twenty-day cruise and we did not expect a “totally new” menu for each of these different evenings.  BUT, Oceania could do much better as to their menu offerings with those first two evening dining choices. 

3. Lobster bisque?:  In both the Polo speciality dining and main dining rooms, they offered what they called a “lobster bisque”.  But, there was not much lobster taste.  Sorry! It seemed more like just a general seafood soup with a darker color.  Maybe you could call it “OK”, but I think that Oceania could and should aim to do better.  After you have had good lobster bisque, having a weak “knock-off” is not nearly as enjoyable. 

4. Wine on board?:  On this cruise, we knew that wines and alcoholic drinks would be extra.  We were prepared accordingly.  BUT, on the ship, the total cost for a glass of wine was not exactly cheap, especially after the service fee of 18% was piled on top of the base price of $10-12.  We brought on to the ship a couple of bottles of wine purchased prior to boarding and paid the $25 corkage fee to have it served in the dining room.  That worked out OK.  The staff was very good when we ordered a bottle, used about half of it on the first evening and then would finished the bottle the next night.  Fortunately, we are not big drinkers and we made it all work out.  If you are not carefully, however, your beer, wine and liquor tab could escalate up . . . and UP, quickly!  You will have fun drinking in that manner, but do not be surprised by the bill when you get at the end of your cruise.  As background, if you purchased a package for beer, wine and liquor beverages, it would run $40 per day per person for the basic quality level.  To move up to the better or “Prestige” stuff, it costs $60 per day per person.  With these packages, the gratuity is included.  Given the number of busy port days and/or doing a couple of days off of the ship doing overnights, the “value” did not work for us.  You had to buy these packages for every day of the cruise.  You could not selectively pick it for just a few of the more sea-day focused dates on the schedule. 

5. Excursion protocol?:  There was confusion, especially as we were seeking to exit the ship at Haifa in order to do our private tour for the overnight in Jerusalem.  The reception desk kept insisting that we could not depart in the morning until ALL of the ship tours had exited.  Then, they tried to blame it on the Israel shore officials.  That was not the case.  The ship General Manager later confirmed that we were given incorrect information and that it delayed our departure from the ship in this highly-important port stop. 

6. Room/bath sizing?: Our basic balcony room (even as a Concierge cabin) on this ship was a little smaller than what we have previously done with Silversea, Celebrity, etc.  The balcony and large glass opening helped much to give a little better sense of “room” and space.  During this 20-day cruise, we survived!!??  BUT, the room can get a little challenged at times, especially when two people are preparing in the evenings for dinner.  The old joke in the shower is that you can put the liquid soap on the wall and then just rotated your body around.  This bath is tight and the shower curtin set-up is not the best.  Sorry to be blunt, but it is true.   On this age of this R-class ship, larger cabin and baths were not viewed at the time of design and construction as a priority.  Times have changed, but this is not a “fix” that be changed or done differently now.  Fortunately, being on a smaller ship, you can escape fairly easily to certain more roomy public areas on the ship and have options to stretch out with some more or added comfort.  Yes, we could have spent a decent amount more for a Penthouse Suite, etc.  BUT, that was not affordable given our personal priority for doing shore excursion in a first-class, immersion manner. 

7. Terrace Cafe being busy/crowded?:  As mentioned earlier, we mainly used the Terrace on the ninth floor for breakfast and lunch.  It was fairly fast and easy.  But you did feel a little crowded during certain peak lunch and breakfast periods.  This area and the set-up was a little narrow and it felt challenged/competitive at times.  This was especially true if the weather/wind outside made setting on the back, open patio deck not possible.  Some of the evening buffet offerings seemed to be creatively themed and interestingly planned.  Several sounded interesting, but we did not have the time to try.  Or, we just got very “comfortable” in using the Grand Dining Room and liking that option/service best?

8. Advertising/sales pitches?:  It’s been worse (such as on the Princess ship going through the Panama Canal), but it is still frustrating to see too many sales advertising pitches stuffed into the “Currents” daily activities summary.  And, the tables up in the main lobby for their “Special Sales” got a little tiring.  Be forced to think about drink specials, jewelry sales, spa treatments, etc., are not my prime or secondary interest for a vacation/escape.  Oceania was not, overall, too bad in this area.  BUT, personally, I would like these “distractions” be dieted down to a big zero. 

A final wrap-up for additional tips and ideas will be posted next. Hope this is not too much information, but I wanted to be detailed and specific. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,815 views.

As a refresher, here is a map from Oceania that illustrates our various port stops on this twenty day cruise on the Nautica.:

2107738588_ScreenShot2019-03-31at3_37_02PM.thumb.png.ae5151f98b38974bc7a9650b359373f9.png

Here are four pages of the "CURRENTS" daily summary from our first full sailing day on the Oceania Nautica.  A cover on the second day is also shown below.  You will notice on the front, they have the next day's expected weather, plus a highlight for the next evening's entertainment program.  Most days, the front focuses on the next port destination and its key history/highlights, etc.   On the third page is a "plug" for the next evening's entertainment offering.  On the fourth page is a summary on hours/opening for the next day, plus a highlight for the next day's drink special, plus a listing at the bottom of the page for the locations that day for each of the other five Oceania ships.:

468487051_ScreenShot2019-03-31at5_05_22PM.thumb.png.7d5f58ef839752b26afbd3a29a1b6935.png

1834189408_ScreenShot2019-03-31at5_04_13PM.thumb.png.460aa2087fe56a54b388f4cb3758f096.png

1622914879_ScreenShot2019-03-31at5_03_56PM.thumb.png.ca0741c1083814e62511563359f80b6e.png

1162738738_ScreenShot2019-03-31at5_02_39PM.thumb.png.7c7aa680bcc3ad166f521a6c76be6a3f.png

2026311369_ScreenShot2019-03-31at5_02_22PM.thumb.png.43b3da96c3f8db2dd43f7dab236e2e9f.png

Below is part four from my detailed Nautica summary.  Northing major in the positive or negative categories.  Just sharing various ideas and options to consider.    

OTHER, MISC. ITEMS:

1. Personalizing your cabin:   We brought along 8x12” pictures of our two grandsons and put them up on the walls to keep those great memories fresh. On a 20-day cruise, you need to be organized and having good "personal" touches in your room that adds to the enjoyment.

2. Currents:  The ship's daily schedule and info sheet worked reasonably well, was colorful and mostly interesting with various port and ship background.  Of special interest was knowing the entertainment coming up for the next evening. 

3. CPAP machine:  Yes, Oceania had distilled water available for use in my CPAP machine.  You need to let them know in advance.   Most cruise lines seem very good in understanding these "needs" for those of us with such CPAP machines. 

4. Future booking: Yes, we considered doing a future booking with Oceania and getting a small, additional discount.  BUT, for personal interests, especially in the key January-February winter periods to escape the Midwest’s cold winters, there were not any major, must-do options available from Oceania.  Our top priority is to get the right/best itinerary for our personal interests. We are not just in “sailing for the sake of being on a boat”.  That’s nice, but not as high of a priority for us. 

5. Private Tours?: Yes, our private tours made such a significant difference for key locations during this cruise.  This includes for Athens to Delphi, the famed historic site about two-and-a-half hours north of Athens; our two days/overnight in Jerusalem, the two days/overnight for Luxor/Egypt, our one exciting day in Jordan for Petra and Wadi Rum; doing the surprisingly wonderful options in Muscat/Oman and finally putting the “frosting on the cake” with our day and a half of private touring to sample Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  Why?  First, was price and value.  In many cases the costs for the four of us was cheaper than options offered by the ship for the “fun” of being slowed on a bus with 20-35 other people.  Second, it was all about quality.  We picked our private tours carefully and being with a good guide where you are having a “conversation” makes THE difference!!  Just being on a bus listening to a canned, memorized speech is not always that enlightening. Plus, having the schedule being our personal priorities is also super vital and rewarding!!  On private tours, you can also cut out those time-wasting “sales stops” at places doing the kick-backs to the tour operators who are bringing in the captive customers. 

More info needed?   Happy to answer any and ALL questions.  Don’t be shy!  Am able to share much more, if needed in any areas. 

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,005 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here is a visual from the Terrace Cafe buffet area that has not been posted previously.  Make you hungry thinking about being there for lunch?.:

1949272599_CMA_95992.jpg.223969ac43174b8648b2dc9d1002c6dd.jpg

Here are three evening dining room treats that have not been posted previously. Ready for dinner now?.:
1004454688_IMG_32273.jpg.377709004708dc5f65e40b971ed3cd4a.jpg

775414833_IMG_32242.jpg.4999ccc5513a1fc555e3bec65fb021b2.jpg

804183734_IMG_32221.jpg.b7870c6ebd68a31a719fecf9a54c566e.jpg

Below are a few additional "eye-candy" visuals related to the Nautica, its look, the food, interior samples, etc.  Many more samples and examples are posted on the full live/blog. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,979 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here is how nice and shiny the Oceania Nautica looked while we were in the harbor in Rhodes.  Having sunshine helped much for enjoying parts of our day while visiting this large and historic Greek Island.  Second is the colorful graphic/logo on the front of the ship.  Third is a view of the middle part of the ship while docked in Patmos.:

CMY_7025.jpg.3643d40adbba7384ab0d9379a513a78b.jpg

CMY_7096.jpg.28700dbcf62cfd6bc01e4279a4f91eec.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg.e1c2f3ea0b173e650f76e4666491060b.jpg

After we docked in Cyprus, here was the welcome as we exited the ship by some Greek-style dancers.  You can see the Nautica in the background.: 

CMY_7104.thumb.jpg.a22b72206d9b9d0ceef9aa839969b2dd.jpg

While traveling along Egypt's Suez Canal, here was the view of Nautica pool area.:

230951185_CMY_79792.jpg.40ca3dd86883e0a1cc9780c467128322.jpg

From having dinner at the Polo Club special dining location on the 10th floor, here are some low-calorie visual samples.  The pictures are very low in calories.  The actual food was excellent and we had a total of three reservations at this very nice setting with great personal service.  Very impressed by dining here!!  Plus, at the Italian-style dining star.:

CMY_7189.jpg.52dc399ba051d78e15e197f1b844f01d.jpg

907111706_CMY_71912.jpg.80a739c4e3b82640cece50c4a719d1ce.jpg

320194098_CMY_71953.thumb.jpg.2e0a0268e7b98c5f6ebdb6a39b6018a5.jpg

2052295718_CMY_71994.jpg.8107506ec520f40874b62c02cd0d208a.jpg

From the ship's first production show, here are a couple of visual samples for this 1920's-style musical program based on the "Gatsby" era and style.  It was a fun and energetic cast and program!!:

83022417_CMY_72055.jpg.2da34b9e7f5b02a037bba20d8b9b70ec.jpg

1217534636_CMY_72336.jpg.bef5fdbc17caea11bdc5032856b4836d.jpg