French Polynesia South Pacific

Heartfelttraveler

Hi all!

I couldn't agree more with Hoopster!

I just returned from the same cruise and participated in several of the more strenuous activities available. We did one of the hikes available through Oceania. The description offers detailed requirements, as Hoopster detailed above for Nuku Hiva. The requirements would be similar across most of the islands for similar activity.

I would recommend taking extra care before signing up for any hiking with a description stating that one needs to be an experienced hiker and that strenuous activity is involved. Our hike was on Moorea....6 miles, big elevation gain, very muddy and slippery, easy to fall or lose your footing.

As for Nuku Hiva, we took the ship's highlight tour and were disappointed. However, this could have been due to the weather. The tour was on the only day where we had consistent rain. The tour skipped several stops due to limited visibility. We were there for two days and the second day was beautiful, so there was time to get out and see everything.

I also heard of no one who attempted the waterfall hike. I went out to the pier area on the second day to find a guide who would take us to the waterfall. All said the same thing...too dangerous at that time.

The weather was near perfect for the entire vacation. I was thrilled. It was the rainy season, so it is a gamble. We just got lucky.

Waterfall I personally feel is not doable for 99% for most all cruisers. Without insulting anyone I’ll be very general with my Next comment.... You Must be extremely fit, experienced hiker, and should be on a day where the ship overnights just in case there’s an issue (ie. Injury, etc). There’s no escape route or emergency backup plan. It’s a 40min boat ride, 2 hour very strenuous hike (through rivers, bush whacking) BOTH WAYS.... so almost 6 hours of transit before seeing anything. It is not accessible from land. Many cruisers talked about this waterfall on our cruise without doing any research whatsoever... I heard Zero people attempting it. The day before our Temarama tour, our 1 hour hike to Anaho Bay 300 meter elevation in torrential downpour/mud riverS was bad enough.

Horseback would also be Limited to just a few sites that are inland. The 4x4 tour is absolutely the best way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can confirm this description of the water fall tour. We were on the Aranui2 which anchored at the valley in which the waterfall is located. Several fit walkers did it with the guide and they told us about their hike.

10 years later, I walked up the hill overlooking Anaho Bay and I am glad I did it then. It's now 10 years later and I would have great trouble on the uneven trail. The weather was sunny, but I can imagine the water running down in torrents.

The people able do these hikes easily are not usually passengers on luxurious cruises. They spend their time hiking in the Alps, the Sierra and the Rockies. They walk to Machu Picchu instead of taking the train, you know what I mean.

Floridiana;

Many here “ don’t know what you mean”! Read some of the posts about Oceania cruisers that regularly show up for O tours they aren’t physically fit for. If Oceania offered that tour , with the same description and a ten (10) level of difficulty, they’d still get people showing up that can’t walk a half mile, yet expecting to be facilitated on the tour. I’m sure some will claim ADA should apply to the hike!