Current status of Water Taxi to Grand Anse?

msmusic

Since Island Star reported that the water taxi dock at Grand Anse beach was badly damaged by Hurricane Maria, I was wondering if anyone knows if the water taxi is now operating. It was certainly an easy and inexpensive way to get there when I went several years ago. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Since Island Star reported that the water taxi dock at Grand Anse beach was badly damaged by Hurricane Maria, I was wondering if anyone knows if the water taxi is now operating. It was certainly an easy and inexpensive way to get there when I went several years ago. Thanks.

The team from Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure and the Water Taxi guys met with Government and Tourism Authority Officials recently. New pilings are going in (newer location more towards the vendors market) so we are hoping it will be operation by end November. As before asap it is fit for use I will let everyone know clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

As far as I am aware until the new dock is in situ the water taxi guys will be operating with a head to beach and drop you procedure. You are likely to get wet but may be fun if sea is calm ;p

The team from Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure and the Water Taxi guys met with Government and Tourism Authority Officials recently. New pilings are going in (newer location more towards the vendors market) so we are hoping it will be operation by end November. As before asap it is fit for use I will let everyone know clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

As far as I am aware until the new dock is in situ the water taxi guys will be operating with a head to beach and drop you procedure. You are likely to get wet but may be fun if sea is calm ;p

So will we get on the water taxi at the same dock where the ship is docked? That's what happened the last time we were there a few years ago and it was drop us on the beach; as you say, got a bit wet but it was fun :D

So will we get on the water taxi at the same dock where the ship is docked? That's what happened the last time we were there a few years ago and it was drop us on the beach; as you say, got a bit wet but it was fun :D

LOL it was probably broken back then too. Yes it is the same dock next to the ship.

The new one will not be a floating dock but will be fixed and in concrete. More pilings are in and re-bar is down for 1st concrete layer so it is moving along quite quickly. Maybe it will be ready for end of November after all :D

• 2 weeks later...

We used the water taxis today. There were plenty of taxis on this two ship day. Cost was $10 USD return. Dock at the cruise terminal is operating normally. Dock at the beach is under construction. So to get in/out of the boat is on the beach. You will get your feet wet and climb in/out on the stern. This is not a good choice for people with mobility issues.

LOL it was probably broken back then too. Yes it is the same dock next to the ship.

The new one will not be a floating dock but will be fixed and in concrete. More pilings are in and re-bar is down for 1st concrete layer so it is moving along quite quickly. Maybe it will be ready for end of November after all :D

Not this November. They have a few pilings in and lots of steel on site. Looks like a very active project. But nowhere near completion.

Not this November. They have a few pilings in and lots of steel on site. Looks like a very active project. But nowhere near completion.

Yes I was somewhat premature. :rolleyes: They were putting it in a new location which wasn't the ideal spot as not as protected as the original location. So they uprooted the pilings they had put in and moved back to old location (in front of Coconuts Restaurant) and I am now revising my estimate to end December. As before will keep everyone posted :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well we are almost mid-february and the dock is still not completed. It has been relocated three times and now seems to be in its final place but it will still be a while until it is completed. It should be ready for next cruising season (yn)

(wish there was an emoji for tearing hair out clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744)

Well we are almost mid-february and the dock is still not completed. It has been relocated three times and now seems to be in its final place but it will still be a while until it is completed. It should be ready for next cruising season (yn)

(wish there was an emoji for tearing hair out clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744)

I rather take a cab than deal with rude water taxi operators.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Grenda today and visited Grande Anse Beach. Water Taxis ARE NOT departing at the usual dock at the cruise terminal. They said it is not safe right not and they walk you to the old harbour by the old court house. About a ten minute walk through a tunnnel with vehicles traveling through the tunnel and single file of people walking. Water taxis do not have a dock to use once at Grande Anse Beach and have to unload passengers into the water. There is a dock at the beach but the water taxis are not allowed to use them. It’s now $10.00 per person return trip.

Just as above: The water taxis are running. However, the surf was too high a few days ago and they wouldn't pick up at the dock by the pier and wouldn't use the dock at Grande Anse beach either which has been rebuilt.. You had to walk through the tunnel to the old port to use them. So glad we opted to just take a regular taxi to the beach because they were making people jump into the water at the beach. The taxi was $10 round trip.

Away from the new hotel to be built?

As it used to be.

• 3 weeks later...
Why aren’t people taking a land taxi or the local bus. The water taxi sounds like a disaster...

A few thoughts :confused:

1. At the moment the water taxi may not be the optimal choice as there are still concerns about the dock at the beach by the water taxi operators so they will be pulling up to the beach which is fun if you dont mind getting your feet wet but may not be best for some not as able-bodied guests. I strongly request feedback from you guys to the Grenada Tourist Authority of good/bad experiences as unless they hear from our valued tourist guests it is only us locals raising the issue.
  2. The last month or so has been unusual with a ridiculously long period of very large sea swells making normal loading location at the cruiseship unsafe hence the need to walk through the tunnel and load on our Carenage. Note this is not the norm and all has returned to normal with next to cruise ship loading.
  3. Land taxis have their downsides too as you can sometimes be stuck forever just trying to get out of the carpark as you have to go through town and it isn't hard to get to complete gridlock. Once in the taxi you get some view but nothing like the gorgeous views of our coastline if on the water taxis.
  4. Local bus is an experience so make sure you are prepared to wait until bus is full, have ear plugs as we play our music LOUD and be prepared for a trip of fast acceleration and emergency braking as the guys vie for as many customers as possible while being 1st to/from the bus stops. Oh and they dont always adhere to the rules for bus stops so they will stop for anyone all along the road :')
  5. I recall once standing by guests getting a water taxi and thinking the three guys were going to kill each other only to find it was simply a heated but friendly discussion about the cricket :p While we may sound angry and harsh at times we're a lovely peace-loving nation (poor team cricket scores excepted ;p

However you travel in Grenada we wish you a wonderful visit and hope you love our island as much as we do. :hearteyes:

A few thoughts :confused:

1. At the moment the water taxi may not be the optimal choice as there are still concerns about the dock at the beach by the water taxi operators so they will be pulling up to the beach which is fun if you dont mind getting your feet wet but may not be best for some not as able-bodied guests. I strongly request feedback from you guys to the Grenada Tourist Authority of good/bad experiences as unless they hear from our valued tourist guests it is only us locals raising the issue.
  2. The last month or so has been unusual with a ridiculously long period of very large sea swells making normal loading location at the cruiseship unsafe hence the need to walk through the tunnel and load on our Carenage. Note this is not the norm and all has returned to normal with next to cruise ship loading.
  3. Land taxis have their downsides too as you can sometimes be stuck forever just trying to get out of the carpark as you have to go through town and it isn't hard to get to complete gridlock. Once in the taxi you get some view but nothing like the gorgeous views of our coastline if on the water taxis.
  4. Local bus is an experience so make sure you are prepared to wait until bus is full, have ear plugs as we play our music LOUD and be prepared for a trip of fast acceleration and emergency braking as the guys vie for as many customers as possible while being 1st to/from the bus stops. Oh and they dont always adhere to the rules for bus stops so they will stop for anyone all along the road :')
  5. I recall once standing by guests getting a water taxi and thinking the three guys were going to kill each other only to find it was simply a heated but friendly discussion about the cricket :p While we may sound angry and harsh at times we're a lovely peace-loving nation (poor team cricket scores excepted ;p

However you travel in Grenada we wish you a wonderful visit and hope you love our island as much as we do. :hearteyes:

Thanks for a great post! Loved the comments about cricket :)

• 10 months later...