MSC Splendida Dubai March 2018 Review

CruisingFox27

Thanks, again CF. Not to worry about the menus - Dim Sum isn't my thing! I would decline the lovely little canapés they used to offer with the wine, too (being a picky eater is a pain!)

Great to hear that there's still wine & music in the venue. With us having the deluxe package, I'll be able to enjoy a glass (or two) of champagne there of an evening.

I love the fact that the drinks package is now included with YC. It's a real plus that it's the deluxe one, too, as we used to buy the Allegrissimo (basic all-inclusive) to use around the ship on our first YC cruises.

I love the fact that the drinks package is now included with YC. It's a real plus that it's the deluxe one, too, as we used to buy the Allegrissimo (basic all-inclusive) to use around the ship on our first YC cruises.

One of the reasons we hadn't tried YC prior to the change, I refused to buy a drinks package on top of paying YC prices but didn't want to feel confined to YC only, as lovely as it is, it is nice to get out and about on the ship.

Although one of the waiters in the Top Sail lounge was telling us on our last YC trip they didn't like it as it meant it was so very quiet for them in the evenings. We went in almost every evening as there was rarely seats elsewhere but there were only around 10 people maximum in the TS lounge after dinner. And if the main bars had been like there were last week we would've spent more time outside of TS lounge. One of our major concerns in not booking YC for this sailing, thankfully unfounded.

Of course, with the Fantasia-class ships, it's easier now to just go to one of the bars/lounges for an after-dinner drink than head all the way back to the TSL from the restaurant. On Meraviglia, the restaurant is in YC and we found we spent more time in TSL as a result.

We've always had a cabin at the front and a restaurant at the back and always enjoyed the walk, stopping for a pre and post dinner drink, listen to music etc. As we did last week and have previously, unfortunately last year on Divina last that was impossible and made me fully appreciate why the restaurant has now been included in the YC area. Last time I wouldn't have set foot out of YC if not necessary :eek:

We hadn't had issues previously and our Splendida sailing has restored my faith in non YC sailing :) Which is fortunate as my lottery numbers keep letting me down ;)

We hadn't had issues previously and our Splendida sailing has restored my faith in non YC sailing :) Which is fortunate as my lottery numbers keep letting me down ;)

LOL - I know what you mean! :D

When the MSC for Me app wasn't available to use while Splendida was in the ME, I reckoned it must be configured for the China season, alright.

CF, another thing I'm curious about is the change in offerings in La Piazzetta from pastries to "snacks" ( :mad: - I was looking forward to having one of those delectable treats with my Baileys & hot chocolate for elevenses now and then). Did you, by any chance, take note of what exactly they're serving there, now? I'm imagining things like mini-sandwiches and other small, savoury bites.

I thought they might activate it to test it prior to China, just in case of any system kinks.

The display of complimentary items looked quite like the TSL buffet, mini sandwiches, rolls and sweet items.

I've just checked the daily planner. 6am to 2pm complimentary crossanterie, snacks and sandwiches. Under bars and lounges it lists from 6am Pastries, chocolates and ice cream.

We only visited in the afternoon so can say what was available in the morning but there were definitely cakes and pastries displayed too.

Sounds much more appealing than what I'd read before, so. Thanks a mil, CF! :) Interesting that the items are complimentary, now. It might be a nice alternative venue for breakfast - if I can get DH to forego his eggs once in a while. :rolleyes:

I thought they might activate the app to test it prior to China, too. However, I wonder if it's only configured for Chinese characters (for the moment) :confused:

It looks like Beast from the East 3.0 is heading our way for Easter weekend. They've even mentioned that dreaded 4-letter word - snow! Our flight is next Friday night. I can't believe that we could be facing a similar situation to what you've endured. While there's no storm similar to Emma on the horizon, flights may still be impacted.

Sounds much more appealing than what I'd read before, so. Thanks a mil, CF! :) Interesting that the items are complimentary, now. It might be a nice alternative venue for breakfast - if I can get DH to forego his eggs once in a while. :rolleyes:

I thought they might activate the app to test it prior to China, too. However, I wonder if it's only configured for Chinese characters (for the moment) :confused:

It looks like Beast from the East 3.0 is heading our way for Easter weekend. They've even mentioned that dreaded 4-letter word - snow! Our flight is next Friday night. I can't believe that we could be facing a similar situation to what you've endured. While there's no storm similar to Emma on the horizon, flights may still be impacted.

They do also list Early Bird Breakfast menu 6am to 7am. I definitely can't comment on that as I don't eat breakfast and am certainly never up that early :o

Fingers crossed for no snow. Am I right that you embark Saturday but you're not scheduled to sail until Sunday? With arrival in Abu Dhabi Monday? If it was very bad Emirates offer a free coach transfer to Abu Dhabi, there is a 10am coach, that's how we transferred. Hopefully it won't come to that.

They do also list Early Bird Breakfast menu 6am to 7am. I definitely can't comment on that as I don't eat breakfast and am certainly never up that early :o

LOL Same here - on both fronts! :D

Fingers crossed for no snow. Am I right that you embark Saturday but you're not scheduled to sail until Sunday? With arrival in Abu Dhabi Monday? If it was very bad Emirates offer a free coach transfer to Abu Dhabi, there is a 10am coach, that's how we transferred. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Even if we don't get snow, ice on the runways will cause disruption.

You're right about the schedule so at least we have a couple of days wiggle-room in terms of catching the ship. Good to know about the free coach transfer. Will keep that in mind, so.

We've spent the morning packing DH's suitcase and I've been bemoaning the fact that Emirates only allow 7kgs hand-luggage pp and not even allow a small handbag with it - 'til I checked myself and realised how fortunate we are to be doing this trip. So I'll be staying focussed on that, should we encounter flight delays, etc.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to you, CF. You've been really helpful. :hearteyes:

Edited by Beamafar

I want to say a big THANK YOU to you, CF. You've been really helpful. :hearteyes:

I'd really like to confirm THAT point!

(Here in Westphalia no snow or ice, flight is tomorrow evening from DUS via AMS and Etihad allows 23kg plus boardcase plus bag - everything's fine right now!)

We have 30kg checked-baggage allowance with Emirates, but who wants to be lifting 30kgs bags into cars, onto buses, etc before getting them checked-in at the airports? :rolleyes: I would much prefer what I'm used to, which is 10kg hand-luggage allowance, plus a laptop bag each - especially for a 28 night cruise (which is the duration length of this trip).

CC is an invaluable source of information, hints and tips, which works so well when everyone contributes. I've gained a lot of knowledge so it's a pleasure to add back and it's nice to know I've helped.

Hope you have a great trip yra.

Hopefully the wiggle room won't be needed Bea, the forecast is looking better, fingers crossed it stays that way. I'm actually excited about your trip and I'm not sailing :confused:

I was a little taken back by the 7kg rule, especially as I'm sure we didn't get 30kg checked in allowance. I did have a cabin bag (overweight) and handbag and no-one queried it.

I was a little taken back by the 7kg rule, especially as I'm sure we didn't get 30kg checked in allowance. I did have a cabin bag (overweight) and handbag and no-one queried it.

On our last 28 night cruise, our flights were with Emirates, too. However, because we were flying from South Africa, the allowance was 2x23kgs bags EACH. So we just brought 1 cabin bag and 3 suitcases and I had a large handbag then. At the check-in desk, one of the bags weighed in at 24kgs (another had just 17kgs). The clerk made me take the bags away to remove the extra 1kg from the bag and put it in another! I couldn't believe how strict she was!

I'm wondering should I chance a handbag? One of our cabin bags weighs 3.8kgs when empty! I actually thought of buying a 'lite' bag at the weekend, 'til I realised that it only meant being able to pack an extra 1.2kgs LOL. I can't believe I'm even weighing my hand-luggage. Crikey, I'm too used to Aer Lingus, when we must have approx 30kgs between us in hand-luggage some of the time - they never weigh it!

Captain-John ... it's not easy to pack when the airline is so strict. It was so much easier with the extra allowance we had for the flight from S Africa. We won't fit 30kgs worth into one of our suitcases. It would be easier to divide the total weight allowance of 60kgs among 3 cases.

Thankfully the weather is looking a little more benign than at first forecast. Thank you both for the good wishes.

That's just petty. The airlines are random and very difficult to second guess. On a flight from Dublin to Stansted we were charged 5E excess baggage, the same case with the same airline on the connection from Stansted to Genoa, nothing...

That said, people with vastly oversized cabin baggage on low cost airlines do annoy me, they are in room 101 with people who have ipads/laptops still in the bottom of their bags and coats on half way through security. They usually have a litre bottle of shampoo packed away in there too. And they are always in front of me :mad: Oh the joys of travel ;)

So true! I get DH to remove his belt, watch & pocket contents and put them in the hand-luggage 'til we clear security. I usually wear shoes that I know I won't be asked to remove, too.

I think, though, that you can be more prepared when you travel often. I have a particular bag I usually bring, (but can't this time, which is why I'm a bit put out with the restrictive hand-baggage allowance). I carry my iPad, small, clear bag with liquids/gels in, chargers, camera, etc. in it, so I just have to remove the items needed for security from this. I'm trying to organise all these items in a bigger cabin bag now and still have them easy to take out from among all the other stuff I'll have in such a bigger bag. FWPs :rolleyes:

Very true and also that practice does make perfect, if we are on a 7+ night holiday DH does the electronics bag & I have the liquids and his pocket contents, belt etc. If we just have cabin bags we each do own our from the front pocket. There are so many signs explaining what to do I'm mystified why people don't. I had a passenger behind me, for once, who was astounded, actually astounded he couldn't take his 4 x 500ml cans of lager through :')

The only acceptable exception is City of Derry airport, we flew recently and were the only people in security, I was taking my coat of at the scanner....

Tbh, If I were you I'd be taking a handbag. I did! I did ensure I had room to place in my cabin bag if required but I did notice I wasn't alone in having a cabin bag and hand bag. I've used a variety of the budget airlines regularly to go back and visit the family in England, when you weren't allowed a handbag at all I used to have a cross body bag for my purse, ticket, phone etc under my coat ;)

Yeah ... I'm going to chance the handbag. I have a pouch the full size of the cabin bag on its front. I can pop it in there if it's an issue. In your case (pardon the pun), I thought they might have turned a blind eye in the knowledge that you had enough grief already with the delays due to the weather.

Anyway, I'm practically packed, now (though I keep adding an item here & there, LOL - there'll be no room if I want to purchase souvenirs or do any shopping if I keep it up! :eek:)

That's just petty. The airlines are random and very difficult to second guess. On a flight from Dublin to Stansted we were charged 5E excess baggage, the same case with the same airline on the connection from Stansted to Genoa, nothing...

That said, people with vastly oversized cabin baggage on low cost airlines do annoy me, they are in room 101 with people who have ipads/laptops still in the bottom of their bags and coats on half way through security. They usually have a litre bottle of shampoo packed away in there too. And they are always in front of me :mad: Oh the joys of travel ;)

Quote -"That said, people with vastly oversized cabin baggage on low cost airlines do annoy me, they are in room 101 with people who have ipads/laptops still in the bottom of their bags and coats on half way through security."

Couldn't agree more! Then of course these same people get on the plane stand blocking the aisle whilst they take stuff out and rearrange the case, then try to put it in the overhead lockers when there is not enough space.[emoji36]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

The outbound flight was completely full as there were obviously lots of people in our position, so they should really have been more strict. Home bound they didn't even weigh our cabin bags.

If you start to struggle for space I'm sure DH has things in he doesn't need :')

Edited by CruisingFox27

Quote -"That said, people with vastly oversized cabin baggage on low cost airlines do annoy me, they are in room 101 with people who have ipads/laptops still in the bottom of their bags and coats on half way through security."

Couldn't agree more! Then of course these same people get on the plane stand blocking the aisle whilst they take stuff out and rearrange the case, then try to put it in the overhead lockers when there is not enough space.[emoji36]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Indeed. Get on, sit down.

And these are the same people who at the other end, the whole party of 6 has to stand at the luggage carousel instead of a couple of them to allow space for others :mad:

I'm glad it's not just me that is an incarnation of Victor Medrew :D

The outbound flight was completely full as there were obviously lots of people in our position, so they should really have been more strict. Home bound they didn't even weigh our cabin bags.

If you start to struggle for space I'm sure DH has things in he doesn't need :')

I'm considering raiding his case, alright. "Do you really need that much, darling"? He has the smaller of the 2 cases we're bringing, as it is. Fortunately I have a huge case that I reckon I'll have no problem getting 30kgs worth in. It's where to put the other 20kgs. :eek:

We flew return with Emirates last year for the Fantasia Dubai cruise - I don't remember having any issues with cabin bags then. We were only going for the week, though, so I suppose we had plenty of space in the checked luggage at the time.

As for fellow travellers - I think I'm another Victor Meldrew LOL

Thanks for the wonderful review, CF.

While YC is terrific, we've enjoyed our cruises in Fantastica balcony cabins, too. As you've said, on port-intensive itineraries you don't spend as much time onboard to enjoy the YC facilities. We've only been in YC on cruises where we've been to the ports numerous times before and love having the YC to ourselves on port days.

A couple of your comments I found interesting; having more than 2 choices of red wine and the fact that coffee was served in the MDR.

Oh ........... I can see you've posted about the asian menu. I'll have to submit this post to go check it out! ;)

First of all many thanks to the OP for the great review!

Bea: Last week in the Magnifica transatlantic all the bar staff on the coffee bar that happened to be the reception bar told me they are slowly rolling out a new coffee ordering procedure from the restaurants. For now, and at least on that ship things seemed to go as follows:

> Everyone could order anything else from the speciality coffee bar menu for breakfast!

> Aurea and some partner chartered guests were able to ask for regular speciality coffee drinks (things like espressos and cappuccinos) at both lunch and dinner times. I was on one of those groups but I have never experienced it once I usually prefer to go directly to the bar, so I can't comment on whether that was or not efficient.

They told me that they hope to have the ability to serve coffee for everyone at the MDRs on the next months to come... Let's see!...

Have a nice day!... :)