No deck chairs on the promenade deck?

deck chair

Hello

I am very interested in taking a Viking Ocean cruise. I love the deck chairs on the fabulous promenade deck on the Queen Mary where one can read, people watch and gaze at the passing sea. While I appreciate that there is an actual promenade deck on the Viking ships it is my impression that there are no deck chairs. Does anyone know why this is the case and if any changes planned? Thank you so very much!

Deck Chair

The interactive deck plan on the Viking Ocean website shows the layout of each deck, and I'll use that as reference. The promenade deck on Deck 2 is nothing like what you are describing. There are some chairs and tables aft that make for a pleasant seating area, but certainly not people watching, and none are lounge chairs. The deck 2 promenade on Viking is where you have tender boats above your head and some large equipment cabinets, including life vest storage. In some places, there is machinary at the railing that I imagine is used for lowering or raising equipment on the sides of the ship. It is not for much except exercise walking, and I doubt that any changes are planned.

The closest area to what you are thinking about is not labeled on the deck plans. On deck 8 aft, there is a pleasant seating area with chairs and excellent views. There are stairs down to the Aquavit terrace also. It is a pleasant area to bring a book to sit and read, but there won't be many people walking by, and if the ship is at sea, it is often windy.

Perhaps one reason for this design is that every cabin on the ship has a private balcony.

The interactive deck plan on the Viking Ocean website shows the layout of each deck, and I'll use that as reference. The promenade deck on Deck 2 is nothing like what you are describing. There are some chairs and tables aft that make for a pleasant seating area, but certainly not people watching, and none are lounge chairs. The deck 2 promenade on Viking is where you have tender boats above your head and some large equipment cabinets, including life vest storage. In some places, there is machinary at the railing that I imagine is used for lowering or raising equipment on the sides of the ship. It is not for much except exercise walking, and I doubt that any changes are planned.

The closest area to what you are thinking about is not labeled on the deck plans. On deck 8 aft, there is a pleasant seating area with chairs and excellent views. There are stairs down to the Aquavit terrace also. It is a pleasant area to bring a book to sit and read, but there won't be many people walking by, and if the ship is at sea, it is often windy.

Perhaps one reason for this design is that every cabin on the ship has a private balcony.

The sun deck (Deck 8) provides a combination of lounge chairs (the same as you find by the pool) where you can bake yourself on a hot sunny day, tables with chairs about them (clustered towards the inside of the sun deck)and couches/sofas configured into conversation areas. The latter two are protected by a careful organization of clear wind breaks. There may be a subset of that on Deck 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My main issue with Viking was a lack of shaded, cushioned loungers to relax and read. Verandas are too small to accommodate a lounger. The sun deck and aft pool have no shade or cushioned loungers. The main pool area has a limited number of cushioned loungers that are usually occupied. The remaining loungers are uncomfortable, made of mesh and metal. The main pool area had poor ventilation and was often too hot for my enjoyment.

When I did end of cruise survey I suggested placing cushioned loungers on the promenade deck, aft section. This area is spacious and wide. The existing tables and chairs are a waste of space.

My main issue with Viking was a lack of shaded, cushioned loungers to relax and read. Verandas are too small to accommodate a lounger. The sun deck and aft pool have no shade or cushioned loungers. The main pool area has a limited number of cushioned loungers that are usually occupied. The remaining loungers are uncomfortable, made of mesh and metal. The main pool area had poor ventilation and was often too hot for my enjoyment.

When I did end of cruise survey I suggested placing cushioned loungers on the promenade deck, aft section. This area is spacious and wide. The existing tables and chairs are a waste of space.

I agree with much of what you mention. I really don’t care if the lounger is padded, but I would like it if some were available in a shaded area out on an open deck – to the enclosed pool area. All of Viking’s lounge chairs are either in full sun or around the main pool area that is usually too hot and enclose for me. I don’t care to sit on a lounger in an indoor area behind glass. Viking certainly isn’t the only cruise line where this is a problem.

Maybe Viking took it literally: it's a Promenade Deck, not a Sit-and-Lounge Deck ;p

Right. It was designed for the walkers and runners--so that they are not pounding their way over someone's cabin (as they are on the river boats) or pounding their way through those who are trying to enjoy a leisurely meal on the Aquavit Terrace as they make their own route on Decks 7 and 8. The promenade provides an unobstructed route for runners and walkers.

I understand this reasoning about the promenade but I don't understand why an upscale line like Viking Ocean doesn't put seat and back cushions on the balcony chairs. They certainly aren't very comfortable.

Hello

I am very interested in taking a Viking Ocean cruise. I love the deck chairs on the fabulous promenade deck on the Queen Mary where one can read, people watch and gaze at the passing sea. While I appreciate that there is an actual promenade deck on the Viking ships it is my impression that there are no deck chairs. Does anyone know why this is the case and if any changes planned? Thank you so very much!

Deck Chair

There are a few chairs and tables at the aft. At least Star had them during our Homelands last July.

It was designed for the walkers and runners

That's good to read. From the pics I have seen, it appeared parts were somewhat obstructed by wind walls or a tunnel-like part. Can you actually have a good run completely around without awkward turns or obstruction?

That's good to read. From the pics I have seen, it appeared parts were somewhat obstructed by wind walls or a tunnel-like part. Can you actually have a good run completely around without awkward turns or obstruction?

I'm not a runner so I can't tell you if it is a "good run" but you can see on the deck plan that the circuit cuts through the ship at its bow end. The tunnel is narrower than the rest of circuit. The tables shown on the stern are not as big as shown either; they do not obstruct the track.

viking_star_deck_2_v4_tcm13-612.png

You will have no problem finding a place to curl up to/on . They can be in air conditioning or not ! They can be in bright sunlight or not . I really like the fact that the promenade deck is clutter free. The Viking Ships are no where near the size of the Queens (Thank God ) so the decks are Sized accordingly and are narrower . You will love the Viking layout!

I understand this reasoning about the promenade but I don't understand why an upscale line like Viking Ocean doesn't put seat and back cushions on the balcony chairs. They certainly aren't very comfortable.

The number one reason is that their clients would not take them in and they would mold out in short order . We got two fold up camping sling seats(Amazon) and use them as foot stools . The units fold up into themselves and slide into their nylon bags . We are on Viking’s WC and have used these units daily and have very few issues . We intend on taking them home and use them again , on next year’s WC .

I'm not a runner so I can't tell you if it is a "good run" but you can see on the deck plan that the circuit cuts through the ship at its bow end. The tunnel is narrower than the rest of circuit. The tables shown on the stern are not as big as shown either; they do not obstruct the track.

You can also run on the deck above the rear pool area . Not as long but less crowded!

We did several fast walk circuits every day - there are wind breaks at either end but they did not affect us - it is not huge so congestion is occasionally an issue if the weather is warm! It is plenty long enough for a good work out - the circuits are about 400m!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I said, up on the Sun deck there are a number of sections where they have couches meaning padded seats and backs that should fulfill what what you seek. I have pictures of various parts of the sun deck but unfortunately not that part of it. Just checked out the 360 tour - and what I’m talking about is shown there on deck 8 called the Sun Deck Lounge. It’s also on the Sports Deck - 9.

The area in front of the promenade at the bow is where the ropes are kept. There are large windows so that you can watch the process when coming into port. It is fascinating if you are there at the right time. The track in that area gets very narrow in a couple of spots. People coming in opposite directions cannot pass each other at a couple of archways. One waits while the other goes through. As for being a good run, it all depends. At 8-9 minute miles, it can work well enough. If you are really striding along at 6 minutes per mile, you are going to find several spots where you have to slow down.

At 8-9 minute miles, it can work well enough

8 to 9 minute pace is good while on vacation, but from the pics I have seen, that tunnel section would not be good for running. Would hate to run into the metal wall or bump into someone. There's always the gym.:D

There are wind walls near the aft on both sides. And the tunnel around the front seems a bit narrow. You have to use care when passing other people there or when a crew member comes out of one of the hatches located in that area. But you can still get a pretty good run in if you want.

8 to 9 minute pace is good while on vacation, but from the pics I have seen, that tunnel section would not be good for running. Would hate to run into the metal wall or bump into someone. There's always the gym.:D

The promenade deck is probably better for that.

• 1 month later...
Hello

Deck Chair

I understand there are lounge chairs facing the ocean in the Wintergarden are as well

The aft section of promenade deck, has 4 tables with 4 chairs each. In addition it has if I remember correctly 3 sofa's with padded seats and backs. In addition I seem to remember a couple / few chairs. All facing aft. On the 9 sea days we had, once they were sort of busy. A wonderful place to be close to the ocean, in the shade, and on a soft seat! :)

The aft section of promenade deck, has 4 tables with 4 chairs each. In addition it has if I remember correctly 3 sofa's with padded seats and backs. In addition I seem to remember a couple / few chairs. All facing aft. On the 9 sea days we had, once they were sort of busy. A wonderful place to be close to the ocean, in the shade, and on a soft seat! :)

I have always wondered if the original intention of this aft space was as additional seating in the dining room.

• 2 weeks later...
I have always wondered if the original intention of this aft space was as additional seating in the dining room.

I asked onboard Sky during our TA if they ever opened the doors and served out there and from the look of horror in the manager’s face you would have thought I had asked him to kill his mother! I thought from looking before cruising that was exactly why those tables were there. Oh well....we “made due” with the Aquavit Terrace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk