Tricked on Great stirrup cay

andyjulialee

We were at Harvest Caye and bought $80 worth or food while we were in a pool cabana. I gave the server $100 thinking she would just keep the extra $20 as her tip. Well she came back and it was obvious that she was looking for a tip. Don't know exactly what happened but I think somewhere somehow someone didn't give her the tip and for some reason she thought we bought $100 worth of food. I just gave her another $20 and called it even. I was not going to ruin my day tracking down the lost tip.

Whenever I pay a restaurant check, if it is my intention that the server keep any surplus amount given as their tip, I always say the words, "You may keep the change as your tip" so that it is crystal clear whether or not I want change back. I am an experienced cruiser (over 20 cruises in the last 15 or so years), but I also make my living as a restaurant server in the same upscale restaurant for the last 13 years. So I know what it feels like on both sides. In my restaurant it is strictly prohibited to ever presume that any change is our tip. If a guest gives me a payment higher than the amount of the check I say, "I'll be right back with your change". But I realize that servers on a beach in the Caribbean are probably not be held accountable to the same standard. So this is why I am urging cruisers to clearly state what their intentions are.......and to, whenever possible, give exact change. So this type of scenario doesn't happen in the first place. Sorry this happened to you.

Considering this is a first-time cruiser, I'm just wondering . . .

Is it possible that the OP approached the NCL employee, inquired about the price, and was told it would be $15?

Is it possible that the OP assumed that since they were not on the ship that this required a cash payment and handed money to the NCL employee?

Is it possible that the NCL employee assumed that the pro-offered cash was nothing more than a guest offering a gratuity...which the employee was happy to accept?

Is it possible that the NCL employee then asked for the guest's room number (like they do for ALL transactions) so that the rental charge could be properly applied to the room account?

It is possible that the OP did not realize the error in their assumption until they received their bill at the end of the cruise and that the whole "cash payment required" scenario is simply what fits the narrative (from the OP's point of view)??

Just thinking as any experienced cruiser knows that EVERYTHING goes on the room and cash is not needed? (Except, of course for the licensed vendors on GSC...that is licensed vendors, not NCL employees). It seems that if an NCL employee would say that a cash payment is required that they run a HUGE risk of getting called out on it by a cruiser who certainly knows better. Seems like a sure-fire way to lose your job quickly.

What bad press? 1186 people who read the thread on cruise critic and 1185 of them who pretty much didn't care about what happened or the fifteen bucks?

I won't dismiss the OP's feelings about this but we definitely have different opinions of "disaster" on a cruise.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP sounds like a first-time cruiser.

I can see how this type of thing could leave a sour taste in one's mouth.

I was a new cruiser once too...

It may be less about the $15, than the principle. And happening on an NCL private island...

I get the OP's feelings.

In the interest of customer service, I believe NCL could've handled this better.

NCL can't always control the behavior of employees... But they can make things right when something goes wrong.

Yes, but even Judge Judy needs documentation. You must be able to prove your case.

If $15 is not too little to complain about on a forum then it is not too little to get a receipt for a cash payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"It may be less about the $15, than the principle"

Exactly. And even so, it's still about the money. Whether you can afford to lose it, or how much it is compared to the cost of your cruise isn't the point. It's about being overcharged and scammed.

I spent some time at guest services on our last cruise in an argument over a $10 mini bar charge for something we had not drunk. I'm sure some of you would have told me to just let it go and ignore it, but I'm not paying for something I haven't had- it's the principal of it.

Sounds very much that in this case the GSC employee was double charging and pocketing the $15 cash. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes on a lot and people decide to just 'let it go'. Well, if everyone does that then he'll carry on getting away with it forever, won't he? While 'ruined my cruise' is an overreaction, I do think the OP has every right to make a complaint and pursue this.

My humble opinion based on what the OP is telling us: Yes, she got scammed and I wouldn't be happy.

Yes, NCL can afford to refund the money. It is better than having a first time cruiser unhappy.

$15 to either the company or the cruiser isn't worth losing sleep over.

How in God's green earth can something like this ruin someone's. otherwise wonderful vacation. I believe it is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

OP, don't let one dishonest person affect you so much. Everywhere we go we can find people who think scamming is the way to live. It is sad, but true and this isn't just a cruise line.

Whenever I pay a restaurant check, if it is my intention that the server keep any surplus amount given as their tip, I always say the words, "You may keep the change as your tip" so that it is crystal clear whether or not I want change back. I am an experienced cruiser (over 20 cruises in the last 15 or so years), but I also make my living as a restaurant server in the same upscale restaurant for the last 13 years. So I know what it feels like on both sides. In my restaurant it is strictly prohibited to ever presume that any change is our tip. If a guest gives me a payment higher than the amount of the check I say, "I'll be right back with your change". But I realize that servers on a beach in the Caribbean are probably not be held accountable to the same standard. So this is why I am urging cruisers to clearly state what their intentions are.......and to, whenever possible, give exact change. So this type of scenario doesn't happen in the first place. Sorry this happened to you.

Thanks for your perspective. When dining out at home I almost always say "your tip is in there" or something like that. For some reason I just didn't say that and hence the consequences. So I feel it partly was my fault. Next time will be different. Thanks for your support.

I feel like there was some misunderstanding or a mistake. If the float guy was trying to scam money from NCL why would he bother charging your room as well?

Sounds like the float guy wasn't trying to scam from NCL but from the person renting the float.

Do you know what it is when we don't get what we wanted? It's experience, you can chalk it up to a thieving employee and move on or you can let it ruin your whole experience, I guess you choose the later. Imagine what would happen if 100 people tried to get a refund for something with no proof they actually spent the money. Get receipts it's nonsense that you have nowhere to put a receipt, you managed to keep cash handy. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but we all need to accept some personal responsibility, and ask questions before handing over our cash or information that could cost us money.

of course you can say that, because no customer service laughed at your foolishness. I can keep the exact fifteen dollars in my hand because I've heard the price from her without thinking about carrying anything back. What's the reason I had to ask the receipt? They recorded my number so I don't need to prove I rented a float. I don't think I need the receipt to refund or exchange. No one would cover that cost later and I don't need tax return for it. My kids were waiting for the float to have some fun. You tell me why I need the receipt without knowing that could be a trick. I only fault was trusting a NCL employee. I paid the money for the trip for fun and relax, not keep my eyes opening for everything 24 hours a day.

of course you can say that, because no customer service laughed at your foolishness. I can keep the exact fifteen dollars in my hand because I've heard the price from her without thinking about carrying anything back. What's the reason I had to ask the receipt? They recorded my number so I don't need to prove I rented a float. I don't think I need the receipt to refund or exchange. No one would cover that cost later and I don't need tax return for it. My kids were waiting for the float to have some fun. You tell me why I need the receipt without knowing that could be a trick. I only fault was trusting a NCL employee. I paid the money for the trip for fun and relax, not keep my eyes opening for everything 24 hours a day.

So first you tell us that based on facial expression you felt the person looked at you like you were foolish, and now they laughed in your face. Which is it? Either they laughed at you (which I find hard to believe) or you interpreted facial expressions your own way. I really seriously doubt that any business would reverse a charge or give a refund, without some proof that someone actually paid beforehand. Yeah they could have handled it better, and probably should have. That doesn't change the fact that you had no proof that you actually had paid cash upfront.

I'm sorry you got taken, but I'm even more sorry that you don't think you need to be somewhat vigilant of your money, possessions, or personal safety for that matter simply because you are on vacation. Thieves, scam artists and just plain bad people don't take vacations, and if they do there are plenty more to take their place. They seem to prey on large tourist destinations world wide. I don't care if you are on a cruise line's private island, Las Vegas or at Disney World there are unscrupulous people who will try to take advantage of you. It is up to us to ask questions, ask for a receipt. That key card is just like a credit card except they only need your room number to add a charge on to it, I wouldn't be so free to give it out especially if I just paid cash up front for something.

Live and learn I guess, complaining here looking for sympathy isn't going to make the $15 come back to you or make you feel any better about you've made up your mind already that it ruined the whole experience. Not everyone is going to agree with you either, it's part of life it happens to everyone at some time or another. The question is how do we deal with it, as a minor inconvenience or something that is going to ruin the whole experience, the choice is your's to make.

So first you tell us that based on facial expression you felt the person looked at you like you were foolish, and now they laughed in your face. Which is it? Either they laughed at you (which I find hard to believe) or you interpreted facial expressions your own way. I really seriously doubt that any business would reverse a charge or give a refund, without some proof that someone actually paid beforehand. Yeah they could have handled it better, and probably should have. That doesn't change the fact that you had no proof that you actually had paid cash upfront.

I'm sorry you got taken, but I'm even more sorry that you don't think you need to be somewhat vigilant of your money, possessions, or personal safety for that matter simply because you are on vacation. Thieves, scam artists and just plain bad people don't take vacations, and if they do there are plenty more to take their place. They seem to prey on large tourist destinations world wide. I don't care if you are on a cruise line's private island, Las Vegas or at Disney World there are unscrupulous people who will try to take advantage of you. It is up to us to ask questions, ask for a receipt. That key card is just like a credit card except they only need your room number to add a charge on to it, I wouldn't be so free to give it out especially if I just paid cash up front for something.

Live and learn I guess, complaining here looking for sympathy isn't going to make the $15 come back to you or make you feel any better about you've made up your mind already that it ruined the whole experience. Not everyone is going to agree with you either, it's part of life it happens to everyone at some time or another. The question is how do we deal with it, as a minor inconvenience or something that is going to ruin the whole experience, the choice is your's to make.

It sounds like you are teaching me how to be a positive mind person and I shouldn't be so picky. Firstly, I am so sorry for my bad English, maybe "destroy" is too much to describe my feeling. I think I shouldn't feel so bad to the whole trip, and I feel much better now. But posting my experience is a correct thing for the future travelers. Meanwhile you posted so much nagging just for some words in my post. Even an online post can take you so much time, I don't think you can do better than me. I think I should feel sorry to you. Don't try to teach others things you can't do well, please. Thank you very much.

Edited by andyjulialee

If you booked through NCL, excursions cost more. Harvest Cay isn’t like GSC where it’s the same as being on the ship. I believe you need cash or credit cards for purchases?

Harvest Caye is a NCL exclusive island. No other customers there.

Yes you pay cash for drinks and food and junk from the shops but all else is an excursion and you pay before getting off the boat.

Point is that them getting cash is "off the books".

Harvest Caye is a NCL exclusive island. No other customers there.

Yes you pay cash for drinks and food and junk from the shops but all else is an excursion and you pay before getting off the boat.

Point is that them getting cash is "off the books".

It's an exclusive to them island, but I believe part of the agreement is most on the island aren't NCL, which is why you can't use your ship card or drinking packages on the island. It's not the ship's staff running things on harvest like is in GSC.

I might be wrong though as I haven't been there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What bad press? 1186 people who read the thread on cruise critic and 1185 of them who pretty much didn't care about what happened or the fifteen bucks?

I won't dismiss the OP's feelings about this but we definitely have different opinions of "disaster" on a cruise.

I guess it's not bad press when posts get deleted..........

My humble opinion based on what the OP is telling us: Yes, she got scammed and I wouldn't be happy.

Yes, NCL can afford to refund the money. It is better than having a first time cruiser unhappy.

$15 to either the company or the cruiser isn't worth losing sleep over.

Agreed. The difference is the OP is not a huge corporation whose reputation means much more than $15.

Agreed. The difference is the OP is not a huge corporation whose reputation means much more than $15.

Based on the majority of respondents to the OP’s situation, this huge corporation’s reputation is safe and secure.

We know who is really losing sleep over this one.

It's an exclusive to them island, but I believe part of the agreement is most on the island aren't NCL, which is why you can't use your ship card or drinking packages on the island. It's not the ship's staff running things on harvest like is in GSC.

I might be wrong though as I haven't been there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are correct in that it is not ships company working on the island but, it is exclusive to NCL. All excursions, attractions etc are purchased on the ship. If the locals that operate these things start to undercut NCL, it is bad business for NCL.

It is not like getting the same excursion or attraction on other ports as they are all open business ports.Harvest Caye is exclusive and only for NCL clients.

It sounds like you are teaching me how to be a positive mind person and I shouldn't be so picky. Firstly, I am so sorry for my bad English, maybe "destroy" is too much to describe my feeling. I think I shouldn't feel so bad to the whole trip, and I feel much better now. But posting my experience is a correct thing for the future travelers. Meanwhile you posted so much nagging just for some words in my post. Even an online post can take you so much time, I don't think you can do better than me. I think I should feel sorry to you. Don't try to teach others things you can't do well, please. Thank you very much.

Nagging? Seriously I think you have a lot to learn about how to deal with people. I asked a simple question that evidently you got offended by, and it has zero to do with your English skills. I'm not trying to teach you anything, I doubt you'd be very receptive to learning anything.

Yeah I do better than you, I don't give out information that will cost me money, I ask questions, and I'm aware of my surroundings. I learned the hard way to pay attention to people's actions. Lastly I sure as hell don't need or want your sympathy.

Considering this is a first-time cruiser, I'm just wondering . . .

Is it possible that the OP approached the NCL employee, inquired about the price, and was told it would be $15?

Is it possible that the OP assumed that since they were not on the ship that this required a cash payment and handed money to the NCL employee?

Is it possible that the NCL employee assumed that the pro-offered cash was nothing more than a guest offering a gratuity...which the employee was happy to accept?

Is it possible that the NCL employee then asked for the guest's room number (like they do for ALL transactions) so that the rental charge could be properly applied to the room account?

It is possible that the OP did not realize the error in their assumption until they received their bill at the end of the cruise and that the whole "cash payment required" scenario is simply what fits the narrative (from the OP's point of view)??

Just thinking as any experienced cruiser knows that EVERYTHING goes on the room and cash is not needed? (Except, of course for the licensed vendors on GSC...that is licensed vendors, not NCL employees). It seems that if an NCL employee would say that a cash payment is required that they run a HUGE risk of getting called out on it by a cruiser who certainly knows better. Seems like a sure-fire way to lose your job quickly.

100% agree with this!

Based on the majority of respondents to the OP’s situation, this huge corporation’s reputation is safe and secure.

We know who is really losing sleep over this one.

Well to be fair, all the NCL cheerleaders won't care about anything NCL does.

Safe and secure? Not with clear thinking non-cheerleaders.

Rah Rah?

OP- I'm sorry that happened to you- I can understand how upsetting that could be. I think there have always been and always will be things like this that happen. For example, I went to GSC but didn't get anything there- and ended up with charges on my on board account for beer someone had purchased. I left a message with some director and said unless they could provide a receipt with my signature I would go to so and so who I know from working at corporate- took care of it.

OP- I'm sorry that happened to you- I can understand how upsetting that could be. I think there have always been and always will be things like this that happen. For example, I went to GSC but didn't get anything there- and ended up with charges on my on board account for beer someone had purchased. I left a message with some director and said unless they could provide a receipt with my signature I would go to so and so who I know from working at corporate- took care of it.

good for you and this is why we keep all our receipts. if there is a question we have the proof we need. Luckily for us, we have never had a billing problem that I can remember. We have had to complain of occasion about service. Always, the cruise line has made whatever complaint we have had, good. Like bad service in Le Bistro, we got another LeBistro dinner.