Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I don’t think it’s new. On the Bahamas permit that I got two years ago, the permit language did list the coronavirus requirement as well as the 48 hrs prior fecal flotation test and parasite treatment. I wish APHIS would list these requirements on their website.

My vet said she hasn’t stocked coronavirus vaccine in years, so we skipped it. I didn’t get a new flotation test. For that trip, another country also wanted a parasite treatment 48 hrs prior, so we listed that on APHIS 7001.

Never asked for anything like that

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I don’t think it’s new. On the Bahamas permit that I got two years ago, the permit language did list the coronavirus requirement as well as the 48 hrs prior fecal flotation test and parasite treatment. I wish APHIS would list these requirements on their website.

My vet said she hasn’t stocked coronavirus vaccine in years, so we skipped it. I didn’t get a new flotation test. For that trip, another country also wanted a parasite treatment 48 hrs prior, so we listed that on APHIS 7001.

I had asked my vet about the coronavirus when we took our Panama Canal trip (I think it was listed on the Colombian Embassy's website as a requirement) and she said the same thing. I think I will just get a letter from my vet stating that the vaccine is not given in the US and not readily available.

Dianne

I had asked my vet about the coronavirus when we took our Panama Canal trip (I think it was listed on the Colombian Embassy's website as a requirement) and she said the same thing. I think I will just get a letter from my vet stating that the vaccine is not given in the US and not readily available.

Dianne

Good idea!

Not that i can see on his health records. And we were not asked to get anything. Just filled out the permit and got it.

If you have an old Bahamas permit laying around (the stamped, signed one they send back to you), take a look sometime. It says you are being granted permission to import the dog subject to meeting the following conditions. Then they list the various inoculations, parasite treatment, fecal test, etc.,etc.

For Half Moon Cay, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal as long as the ship has your Form 7001, rabies certificate, and Bahamas permit to give them.

I decided not to do a last minute cruise. Just seemed too rushed, just in general, beyond getting Halo approved. So instead we found a hotel on Virginia Beach with a beach view. We are heading there for a family event on April 15, so we just extended our time there.

Linda and Halo

Have any cruisers on this forum taken the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton? What health documentary hoops did you have to jump through?

I have not sailed on the Queen Mary, but I am familiar with the requirements for entering the UK since I am taking a cruise from Southampton in the fall.

You need:

a microchip and the appropriate rabies vaccinations (there are timing requirements and the microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccination is given);

an EU health certificate (this is different from the APHIS Form 7001);

APHIS endorsement; and

Tapeworm treatment given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter the UK.

There must be an exception to the tapeworm timing requirement since there are pet dogs that travel on the Queen Mary all the time. I would think that Cunard would be able to answer that question. It is my understanding that the tapeworm treatment can be done after APHIS endorsement (although you would have to go back to your vet to sign off on that), but I still need to confirm that with DEFRA.

Dianne

Dianne, yes, that's exactly what APHIS says on the web site. The tapeworm treatment should be doable if we have it done a couple of days before we fly to New York to take ship for the Old World.

Note that it says EU health certificate. That means European Union. Brexit means the UK will be leaving the European Union (unless cooler heads prevail and the Brits vote to stay). Which may or may not mean the requirements will change.

Dianne, yes, that's exactly what APHIS says on the web site. The tapeworm treatment should be doable if we have it done a couple of days before we fly to New York to take ship for the Old World.

Note that it says EU health certificate. That means European Union. Brexit means the UK will be leaving the European Union (unless cooler heads prevail and the Brits vote to stay). Which may or may not mean the requirements will change.

Good point - I am keeping an eye on that - it should not change until Spring 2019 at the earliest, but who knows.

Dianne

I just booked Celebrity Solstice to Alaska on May 18!

We are taking Scooter this time. OMG, now it is real! I just submitted the special needs document to their email - my TA had emailed me the special needs form and it was easy to fill out.

It looks like all I need for Seattle to Alaska to Canada is proof of rabies?

We have a courtesy call in Victoria, BC, and I'm looking at an excursion that also crosses the boarder on the train. I need to take Scooter on the train here in the state (I can do St. Louis to mid-state as a test run) and see how he handles it. I have my airfare booked, and now I need to make hotel arrangements in Seattle.

Plus, we have a conference in Seattle that starts the morning the cruise ends, so we have to haul stuff for nearly 2 weeks, one of those weeks on the ship. If it was just the cruise, I'd likely leave Scooter at the vet, but I'll need him at the conference. Poor pup - he hates flying. I ordered him a new cushion though, as well as mutt muffs. Hopefully the thicker cushion and the hearing protection help him.

We are taking Scooter this time. OMG, now it is real! I just submitted the special needs document to their email - my TA had emailed me the special needs form and it was easy to fill out.

We have a courtesy call in Victoria, BC, and I'm looking at an excursion that also crosses the boarder on the train. I need to take Scooter on the train here in the state (I can do St. Louis to mid-state as a test run) and see how he handles it. I have my airfare booked, and now I need to make hotel arrangements in Seattle.

Plus, we have a conference in Seattle that starts the morning the cruise ends, so we have to haul stuff for nearly 2 weeks, one of those weeks on the ship. If it was just the cruise, I'd likely leave Scooter at the vet, but I'll need him at the conference. Poor pup - he hates flying. I ordered him a new cushion though, as well as mutt muffs. Hopefully the thicker cushion and the hearing protection help him.

Way to go Barb!

Maybe you could take the train to Hermann, get off and have lunch, then catch the afternoon train back home. (I don't remember how challenged you are with getting around. Hermann is a bit hilly.) My husband and I took the Amtrak from Lee's Summit to Hermann one year for our anniversary. We stayed in a tiny bed and breakfast place. Then we walked everywhere.

Please keep us posted on your adventures.

Thanks! Beckie

Way to go Barb!

Maybe you could take the train to Hermann, get off and have lunch, then catch the afternoon train back home. (I don't remember how challenged you are with getting around. Hermann is a bit hilly.) My husband and I took the Amtrak from Lee's Summit to Hermann one year for our anniversary. We stayed in a tiny bed and breakfast place. Then we walked everywhere.

Please keep us posted on your adventures.

Thanks! Beckie

We've done a short ride - on the Metrolink in STL and he was fine.

So, I'm seriously considering it. The other option is to grab the Lincoln Service from STL north a couple of stops, then have my mom fetch us and come back. There are more options there. That Missouri River Runner only runs a couple of times a day.

Issue is now time. Lots to do!

Yes, that's right - the only requirement is the rabies certificate. I have my vet also fill out an Aphis Form 7001 Health form because the cruise line seems to like to have that.

We were on the Solstice to Alaska last May and had a great time. We will be on the Solstice again this year just ahead of you on the repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver.

One suggestion is to have Scooter nap on the new cushion at home before you fly so that he associates it with (hopefuly) sleeping and relaxation. I have a roll up bed that I take for Henri when we fly - as soon as we roll it out she lays down and sometimes is asleep before we even take off.

Dianne

The Wall St Journal had a good article on Tuesday (March 20) about traveling with pets. Here's a link...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/on-your-next-trip-leave-the-pets-at-home-1521551262?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

(the entire article may not show up unless you are a subscriber)

Tips for Flying With Pets

• Get a sturdy travel crate and introduce it to your pet several weeks in advance so it can get used to it. Gradually expose it, crated, to unfamiliar environments, such as a car wash.
  • Book direct flights.
  • Travel in spring and fall, avoiding summer heat and winter freezes. Be flexible with your itineraries—if the forecasted temperature is too hot or cold, wait a few days for better conditions.
  • Get a thorough health exam for your pet within 10 days of departure. A certificate signed by a veterinarian is required.
  • Make sure your pet is microchipped and is wearing a snug collar with ID tags.
  • Trim your animal’s nails before travel. Some pets try to claw their way through crates.
  • Don’t sedate your animal, since that can impair breathing.
  • Attach a travel water bowl to the crate and put ice in it. That will help your pet stay hydrated later in the journey.
  • Talk to the crew. Pilots are in touch with ground supervisors who can verify your pet is securely loaded.
  • Carry a picture of your pet, and you with it, in case it or its paperwork gets lost.

Yes, that's right - the only requirement is the rabies certificate. I have my vet also fill out an Aphis Form 7001 Health form because the cruise line seems to like to have that.

We were on the Solstice to Alaska last May and had a great time. We will be on the Solstice again this year just ahead of you on the repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver.

One suggestion is to have Scooter nap on the new cushion at home before you fly so that he associates it with (hopefuly) sleeping and relaxation. I have a roll up bed that I take for Henri when we fly - as soon as we roll it out she lays down and sometimes is asleep before we even take off.

Dianne

Thanks, Dianne,

With the new rules from Canada, particularly B.C. and their certifying SDs, I need to be sure Scooter was trained by a small business, so a private trainer. Thus, no ADI membership, since they don't permit anyone but non-profits to join ADI in the US. So, I need to be sure that I don't need anything special. I read their requirements for certification, and they would be no issue, but we won't be there except for that short 6 hour stop.

I'm going to speak to my vet on Monday. We have our annual exam then, and he gets his new rabies at that time. Since we always fly Southwest, and he is a SD, no health certificate is needed normally. We've been to Las Vegas, Orlando, and San Diego in the last year, and while he hates flying, he does it.

I'm figuring I'll bring the new cushion into the office for a few weeks once it arrives. He is used to napping under my desk in the office. :)

Thanks, Dianne,

With the new rules from Canada, particularly B.C. and their certifying SDs, I need to be sure Scooter was trained by a small business, so a private trainer. Thus, no ADI membership, since they don't permit anyone but non-profits to join ADI in the US. So, I need to be sure that I don't need anything special. I read their requirements for certification, and they would be no issue, but we won't be there except for that short 6 hour stop.

:)

Barb,

Henri and I have the certification from British Columbia (it was easy to get because she was trained by CCI).

It is my understanding that the certification is optional and that a service dog would still be protected under the B.C. Human Rights Code and have public access.

We have never been questioned at our hotel or in restaurants or other public places in Vancouver or Victoria. I never needed to show anyone the certification card.

Dianne

I decided not to do a last minute cruise. Just seemed too rushed, just in general, beyond getting Halo approved. So instead we found a hotel on Virginia Beach with a beach view. We are heading there for a family event on April 15, so we just extended our time there.

Linda and Halo

Sounds lovely. Amazing how a delightful beach view can be any place you want it to be! ;)

The Wall St Journal had a good article on Tuesday (March 20) about traveling with pets. Here's a link...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/on-your-next-trip-leave-the-pets-at-home-1521551262?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

(the entire article may not show up unless you are a subscriber)

Tips for Flying With Pets

• Get a sturdy travel crate and introduce it to your pet several weeks in advance so it can get used to it. Gradually expose it, crated, to unfamiliar environments, such as a car wash.
  • Book direct flights.
  • Travel in spring and fall, avoiding summer heat and winter freezes. Be flexible with your itineraries—if the forecasted temperature is too hot or cold, wait a few days for better conditions.
  • Get a thorough health exam for your pet within 10 days of departure. A certificate signed by a veterinarian is required.
  • Make sure your pet is microchipped and is wearing a snug collar with ID tags.
  • Trim your animal’s nails before travel. Some pets try to claw their way through crates.
  • Don’t sedate your animal, since that can impair breathing.
  • Attach a travel water bowl to the crate and put ice in it. That will help your pet stay hydrated later in the journey.
  • Talk to the crew. Pilots are in touch with ground supervisors who can verify your pet is securely loaded.
  • Carry a picture of your pet, and you with it, in case it or its paperwork gets lost.

Thank you Walt, with all the negative circumstances happening to pets onboard airlines, it's good to be very careful in making sure that our dogs safety and well being ALWAYS comes first!

I hope that everyone is safe and staying warm and dry. We've had a lot of rain here in L.A. and are expecting it to be in the 80's at the end of next week. Hello spring and summer! ;p

Horton was raised in the snow but hasn't seen any as an adult dog. I bet he'd love playing in it, he's such a goof ball!

Barb, I agree with Diane. I think it’s a good idea to have the vet issue an APHIS form 7001 Health Certificate to carry along with the rabies certificate, especially since you’re already going to be at the vet’s office anyway. I get one for before Alaska or New England/Canada cruises.

Celebrity will email you their service dog form to sign and bring with you for checking in on the day of sailing.

On Solstice class ships, they usually put a mulch-filled relief box on Deck 5, starboard side all the way forward. It’s a narrow, windy crew-only corridor reached from the outdoor deck.

Barb,

Henri and I have the certification from British Columbia (it was easy to get because she was trained by CCI).

It is my understanding that the certification is optional and that a service dog would still be protected under the B.C. Human Rights Code and have public access.

We have never been questioned at our hotel or in restaurants or other public places in Vancouver or Victoria. I never needed to show anyone the certification card.

Dianne

Actually only certified (and in some cases GOVERNMENT certified) service dogs have fully protected public access rights in BC, so Barb is sensible to be 'checking all the boxes', dotting i's, crossing t's etc. You are correct that visitors are merely encouraged to get local certification, rather than required - but without certification from somewhere official they have very limited access rights here. Too many instances of weaseling around the rules with improperly trained animals lead to tightening of the rules I believe - even fully-accredited dogs lose their access rights on retirement for example!

There's a pretty good Plain English page here with links to application forms, brochures summarizing the laws, pages specific to service animal-users, businesses etc. The most relevant section is definitely restaurants & other food serving establishments, because they have two competing laws - one forbidding animals of all types, and then the very specific exemptions allowed due to disability/human rights legislation in the form of the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act.

Technically every single food-serving establishment is supposed to ask to see a Government-issued (not necessarily BC Government!) service dog certificate before they are allowed to let you on the premises - if they don't they get fined under the Food Premises regulations for breaking THOSE laws! This is a very niche area for enforcement though - if one of the relatively few inspectors were in a restaurant and there was an animal they'd most likely check that the resto had a policy of telling staff to ask, rather than actually asking the person with the animal directly if they'd been checked out. Complaints from the public are pretty much the only circumstance I've heard about for any enforcement, so it doesn't surprise me you were never asked (especially if your dog has a traditional harness, owner uses a white cane, or shows some other obvious sign of genuine service dog status).

Apologies for treading on your toes in an area you're obviously much more familiar with than I, but with the number of Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver and the variety of different ways to train & acquire even legitimate Service Dogs (let alone the whole 'emotional support turkey' type issues) I felt it was worth providing the links to the real skinny. As an example, up here it is 100% legal for ANY business to ask you to leave if your dog even barks or growls (unless it's part of a trained behaviour) - you get one warning to get your animal under control per the behavioural standards expected, and a second occurrence means you are out of there... although it's another area of weak enforcement in my experience.

Interesting how BC handles it.

Scooter isn't eligible for automatic certification because he was trained by a private (for-profit) trainer, and ADI doesn't allow for-profit companies to have membership. Only non-profits. My trainer actually looked at doing what would be required for ADI membership, and realized their costs would actually go up, they would lose control of their business, and they'd need to charge more and have people do more fundraising for their dogs. So I cannot just send in paperwork and get automatic certification.

The fact that such certification is optional, helps. We will simply not be there enough for it to matter.

I'm all for the law allowing businesses to request the handler to leave if the dog is inappropriate. I wish more businesses in the US would ask dogs to leave if the dog was not fully under control.

We've had a rash of people bringing their dogs with them here by me. They see me with Scooter, and assume they can bring their own. Scooter wears a vest, theirs do not. Or their vest says "comfort animal". Sigh.

Barb, I agree with Diane. I think it’s a good idea to have the vet issue an APHIS form 7001 Health Certificate to carry along with the rabies certificate, especially since you’re already going to be at the vet’s office anyway. I get one for before Alaska or New England/Canada cruises.

Celebrity will email you their service dog form to sign and bring with you for checking in on the day of sailing.

On Solstice class ships, they usually put a mulch-filled relief box on Deck 5, starboard side all the way forward. It’s a narrow, windy crew-only corridor reached from the outdoor deck.

Thanks. I believe the 7001 Health Certificate needs to be issued fairly few days ahead of the departure date? I'll speak to the vet about it on Monday. I also need to get an Rx for his monthly meds. The cost from Sam's Club is A LOT less than at the vet! Sorry vet - I'm going to buy elsewhere. Sam's is nearly half the price!

That box location sounds horrible! I wonder if we can get it on our balcony? Or SOMEWHERE else less windy!

Thanks. I believe the 7001 Health Certificate needs to be issued fairly few days ahead of the departure date? I'll speak to the vet about it on Monday.

The 7001 is valid for 30 days. I usually get it about a week in advance.

(Some countries have rules where they want it signed and dated within X days of arrival.)

The 7001 is valid for 30 days. I usually get it about a week in advance.

(Some countries have rules where they want it signed and dated within X days of arrival.)

Excellent! I appreciate the info! So, I'll see my vet on Monday, they can look up what they need to do, then we can have it issued after April 18, and I'll have it back in time for my May 18 cruise. That will be perfect!

Second visit, but the vet will probably just charge me a small re-check fee to be back in a month.

Thanks!