Curious why all-inclusives resorts are so common in Maya Riviera

sej67

Hmm I have no idea.

We honeymooned at an all inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen (The Royal) and had an amazing time! I'm not sure why those types of resorts are more common there, though. Would love to hear others input :)

We stay at AI's in Playacar and in Cancun and they are very popular in that area for some reason. But there are several AI resorts in the Caribbean as well (Antigua, St Lucia, Bahamas, Jamaica, Aruba, and even Florida). Latin America and Africa have even more. And there are many EP hotels in the Mayan Riviera as well. So my input just added to the confusion!

• 4 weeks later...

It changed somewhere in the 1990's. Originally there were limits on the number of resorts that could be built as well as how big they could be. Eventually the $$ won out and the resorts got bigger and AI became more popular.

I think it offers a destination vacation and eases the stress many a traveler may have in venturing out to eat in Mexico. Each trip I am usually surprised at the number of people I meet that don't venture outside of their own resort property for meals (or sister resort properties). To many they are just an overall safer and stress-free pick. Fornatur puts a lot of thought and effort into appealing to the tourists, while it's not my thing, it has been a good move for the area.

I've also noticed people who do venture out tend to eat at the more Americanized chain places which are pricier... this helps fuel the thought that staying AI is a better bargain due to high food and drink costs.

Personally, I can't imagine staying AI in Cancun. But I started visiting there before that option existed ... heck my first trip you could only call the states from a couple of the hotels. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It is like taking an all-inclusive cruise -- only much less money. You know exactly (almost) what your vacation is going to cost. Staying at an AI doesn't mean you are locked in to your resort. Some AI's have multiple resorts that you can visit with no additional charge (and they have shuttles). Of course, you are free to go wherever you want.

Sitting at a beach bar sipping a drink (as strong or as weak as you would like), having snacks and watching the sunset is amazing. However, unlike luxury all-inclusive cruising, the staff really appreciate tips -- not a specific percent -- whatever you feel is right. We do not tip for buffet meals but do tip for extra service and for drinks made the way we prefer.

You can stay at any level resort that you wish. Resorts for couples, singles, families, budget, luxury........ whatever suits you. Definitely a lovely way to spent a vacation.

• 5 weeks later...

The Mexican government realized the value of tourist dollars many years ago, and the value of beach resorts somewhat later. They have built a lot of infrastructure (Or let developers do so) to make the current resorts good destinations.

Years ago, waiters in better eating places had to BUY their jobs, and I doubt that has changed. Of course they appreciate tips, that's what puts beans on the family table. They are very motivated to make you happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
They seem to be much more popular in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc., than say, Miami, Hawaii and the Caribbean islands.

I don't know this to be a fact, but I was told that there aren't AIs in the US because of the taxes/ laws involving liquor sales and it would be too difficult to turn a profit while serving unlimited alcohol.

We have enjoyed a Family Camp in the states (there are many, along with the Dude Ranch concept) and the difference is that alcohol is either not included or not available at all. Food and activities are all included, but you won't find them by searching for "all - inclusive."

They seem to be much more popular in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc., than say, Miami, Hawaii and the Caribbean islands.

US minimum wages and labor laws are a big reason why AI’s don’t proliferate at US destinations. The cost to build and operate an AI on US soil would mean charging considerably higher prices which in turn wouldn’t make them competitive with AI’s in countries like Mexico, Dominican Republic and Costa Rica.

As others have mentioned, places like Cancun/Rivera Maya and Punta Cana have made it very easy and affordable to vacation there, with countless nonstop flights from most major US cities, considerable competition even from low cost airlines, and recently renovated and modern airports. Cancun in particular can be reached in less than 2 hours from several US cities.

The Guanacaste province in Costa Rica is not too far behind with new AI resorts opening in the region, as well as a fairly new airport terminal located in the city of Liberia.

Overall, it’s a very attractive concept for American tourists who are getting their first taste of international travel and who may not feel at ease about fully immersing themselves into another culture. Sometimes these resorts feel more like the US than the country in which they are located.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising is actually a very good way to visit other countries. The most inexpensive option for sure, and then you can return to the places you want to experience more of.

Cruise ships visit Cozumel, Calica, and Progresso, so if you want to visit the RM you'd need to take that land vacation. But if you want to try the AI option, I would suggest splitting your time between an AI and a boutique hotel (or a condo) to immerse yourselves in the locaL culture and experience more of the natural beauty and history of the area.

Cruising is actually a very good way to visit other countries. The most inexpensive option for sure, and then you can return to the places you want to experience more of.

I wholeheartedly agree. The problem is that some people take cruises but they don’t venture beyond the Señor Frog’s by the cruise terminal. Hard to get a feel for the port one is visiting by doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

People are afraid of Mexico so the all-inclusives give them a place to hide

Cruise ships visit Cozumel, Calica, and Progresso, so if you want to visit the RM you'd need to take that land vacation. But if you want to try the AI option, I would suggest splitting your time between an AI and a boutique hotel (or a condo) to immerse yourselves in the locaL culture and experience more of the natural beauty and history of the area.

I couldn't disagree more if a person wants to see a nation or a culture then you need to spend time in the culture. Being on a cruise and staring at a buffet or the ocean isn't experiencing a culture.

I couldn't disagree more if a person wants to see a nation or a culture then you need to spend time in the culture. Being on a cruise and staring at a buffet or the ocean isn't experiencing a culture.

Disagree more? I think you read my post too quickly! :confused: