Docking in Hong Kong

bellemere

The very first Viking Ocean ship will dock in Hong Kong on March 12,2018. It will be the Viking Sun, currently doing the first World cruise. Check out their WC threads and they should be able to tell you.

• 1 month later...
The very first Viking Ocean ship will dock in Hong Kong on March 12,2018. It will be the Viking Sun, currently doing the first World cruise. Check out their WC threads and they should be able to tell you.

We docked at the new Terminal KAI TECK , where the old airport was in Hong Kong

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kai Teck was the best airport. When you were landing, you could actually see the faces of the people who lived in the apartments beside the runway! And then the plane would screech to a stop just inches, it seemed, from falling into the bay. Definitely one of the more exciting landings (and take-offs) in any international airport. Those were the days! [emoji33]

Glad there is hope that the Orion will be docking at the Ocean Terminal. We don't embark until April 2019 so a lot can happen. Thanks Joel.

Cynthia

Either terminal is ok- Viking runs a shuttle service to the shopping areas . Just a little bus time from the new terminal.

Cabs to and from Kai Tech were relatively inexpensive if you do not want to figure out shuttles and subway. Keep your fingers crossed for a downtown docking assignment. It will enhance your trip but either way Hong Kong will be great!

Deec is right the cabs were pretty cheap. Just the time delay in traffic can be an issue. I was told the heavy construction going on at Kai Tak included a new train terminal. That will make it much easier to get around. Don't know how long it will take but they say stuff gets built in HK rather quickly.:cool:

Either terminal is ok- Viking runs a shuttle service to the shopping areas . Just a little bus time from the new terminal.

Viking does not run shuttles! The malls run them and these are nowhere near where you want to be. You can take the MRT but have to change to get to Tsim Sha Tsui or Central.

After trying the shuttle which takes forever and only goes once per hour, we used taxis and Uber to the Kowloon Star Ferry and our other destinations.

It’s easy, as we have been to Hong Kong often. As long as you are comfortable and have a map or GPS, you shouldn’t have any problems

Docking schedules are available on-line by typing name of city and cruise chip terminal information and check by date (one year plus is always available). We will be on the Orion in October 2018. I will check the terminal information every month for changes. Please note that docking is controlled by the local port authorities and can be changed right up the day of arrival.

Joel Barry

Dear Roomiec:

We are on the October 7 from Hong Kong to Beijing. We are on the Post trip including Beijing from October 20. Maybe will see you at the Marriott Central if you are doing the pre-trip. I hope so!

Joel Barry (that is my full first name, not my first and last name)

JoelBarry...we will do a pre-trip, just haven't decided whether we'll do it on our own. I've looked at a number of hotels(5 star with very reasonable rates)and it appears I can choose my hotel, and a private tour, for much less than going with Viking. Let me know if you have any interest.

Dear Roomiec:

We purchased the pre and post cruise tours from Viking because of the airfare deal, airport services and the chosen hotels. A friend visits Hong Kong and Beijing once a month to teach surgical procedures and stays at the Shangri-La in Hong Kong and either the Marriott Central or the Inter-Continental in Beijing; Viking's hotel choices. That sealed the deal for us. Thanks for the offer of hotel and tours. Perhaps we can get together for dinner or drinks.

Joel Barry

Joel Barry,

Drinks/dinner is a great idea!

Question regarding Air. Have you already booked your flights? If so, did you use Viking and did they honor the flights you requested?

We haven't booked yet...I'm trying to find the routes with the fewest hours in the air.

Howard

Joel Barry...one other question.

You mention either the Marriott or the Intercontinental in Beijing. I've looked at both and prefer the Intercontinental. The Viking website says Marriott..or similar. Where did you see that the Intercontinental might be an option?

Dear Roomiec:

Viking River Cruises uses either the Marriott Central or InterContinental on their Beijing stops and both are owned by Marriott.

We have not received any information on our flights from Viking. We will pay the extra "ripoff" fee to change if we are not happy. I was planning on calling Viking on April 1 to check on flights. We need return flight info to obtain our Visas. We have a non-stop option from Dulles (IAD) to Hong Kong but no non-stops on the return from Beijing. Life can be unfair!

Joel Barry

Dear Roomiec:

Viking River Cruises uses either the Marriott Central or InterContinental on their Beijing stops and both are owned by Marriott.

We have not received any information on our flights from Viking. We will pay the extra "ripoff" fee to change if we are not happy. I was planning on calling Viking on April 1 to check on flights. We need return flight info to obtain our Visas. We have a non-stop option from Dulles (IAD) to Hong Kong but no non-stops on the return from Beijing. Life can be unfair!

Joel Barry

We are planning on booking this cruise with the Xian -Bejing add on and possibly the Hong Kong pre stay.

I just set up a cruise specific roll call and maybe we can continue there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613559

Edited by azdrydock
add link

We are planning on booking this cruise with the Xian -Bejing add on and possibly the Hong Kong pre stay.

I just set up a cruise specific roll call and maybe we can continue there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613559

Azdrydock...is your roll call for the Oct 7 sailing?

We are on the Oct 21 sailing.