Travel Car Seats

wineandbeach

Any recommendations for a lighter weight car seat for a 2 year old. We will be flying, then doing a precruise trip in Fl and then the cruise. I have been reading through this board and have found recommendations for lighter weight car seats for kids up to 18 months (Cosco Scenera) and for older kids but not a 2 year old. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Forward facing or rear facing? And how big is the 2 year old? We used the Scenera Next from the time the infant seat was outgrown until my 50th percentile son turned 3, then it was outgrown although he was only about 38 inches. That was rear facing, it would have been outgrown sooner forward facing. If you are already forward facing I would look at Cosco Finale or Evenflo Maestro. We got the Maestro, but the Finale was not out at that time and I have heard good things about it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is 22 lbs now and 18 months old. She will be turning 2 when we cruise in August. I am the grandma and figured I will by a car seat now so we have one for our car and then they can use it to fly and for the pre cruise and possibly cruise. they have the big cadillac version that is a pain to carry.

She is 22 lbs now and 18 months old. She will be turning 2 when we cruise in August. I am the grandma and figured I will by a car seat now so we have one for our car and then they can use it to fly and for the pre cruise and possibly cruise. they have the big cadillac version that is a pain to carry.

At that age/size I would just do a Scenera Next. It should last her until she is 3-3.5 years old. Not super long lasting, but also pretty cheap!

• 3 weeks later...
Any recommendations for a lighter weight car seat for a 2 year old. We will be flying, then doing a precruise trip in Fl and then the cruise. I have been reading through this board and have found recommendations for lighter weight car seats for kids up to 18 months (Cosco Scenera) and for older kids but not a 2 year old. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Carseats are typically by weight and height, not by age, so even a large 18 month old can outgrow a seat!

My son is 25 lbs and 16 months and is using an Evenflo Tribute Sport that we got cheap from Amazon. The max weight height for that seat is 40 lbs and 37 inches. It can be used both rear and forward facing, so he will be using it for a while! The Cosco Scenera is very similar in design, size, and weight to the Tribute. So basically, ignore the age recommendation, and focus only on if it rear or front faces (or both) and the height and weight limits.

I second (or third) the Scenera. Awesome travel seat as it's usually sold in a travel bag.

Also check with car-seat.org. I kept my kids in a 5 point until age 8, but they're no longer in seats so I'm not that up to date anymore. That's a great car seat site and will tell you more than you need to know. Tell em I said hi.

My lo will be 2.5 when we cruise and I also plan to get the Cosco Scenera Next.

Depending on lo’s size and if you are still rear facing or not you may also want to look at Cosco Finale. If is also cheap and light weight, but will last a lot longer (forward facing only though).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up getting the Cosco Scenera. We aren't cruising until July but use it for my car now. So far, I love it. Very reasonable price and due to its lightweight it is much easier to take in and out of the car then the cadillac car seats. We are using my parents car in Florida so will have to bring the carseat with us. One of the tours we are going on does not provide carseats but does have seatbelts so we will have to decide if we want to lug it off the ship. We will probably use a company to take us to the port since we will be going from Hollywood to Miami and there are 9 of us. We will use the carseat for that unless they provide one. Thank you for the tips.