Fall cruise from Cape Liberty

rjwex

Cruise departure 9/9, Cape Liberty, looking to do about 3 nights before to explore NY, dinner, shows, shopping. Flight pricing appears about the same going to Newark or JFK. I reviewed many of the last pages for ideas, including staying in NY vs the outer areas, such as near Penn and taking transit in. Questions:

1. All things being equal, is it better to stay in Manhattan or thereabouts? Not feeling super comfortable about transit at night when I'm not familiar with the areas.
  2. What would be the cost of a car service to get from NYC to the port? I like to be as cost effective as anyone, but don't want to be hauling luggage down the street and multiple stations, and there doesn't seem to be a direct transit option.

Cruise departure 9/9, Cape Liberty, looking to do about 3 nights before to explore NY, dinner, shows, shopping. Flight pricing appears about the same going to Newark or JFK. I reviewed many of the last pages for ideas, including staying in NY vs the outer areas, such as near Penn and taking transit in. Questions:

1. All things being equal, is it better to stay in Manhattan or thereabouts? Not feeling super comfortable about transit at night when I'm not familiar with the areas.
  2. What would be the cost of a car service to get from NYC to the port? I like to be as cost effective as anyone, but don't want to be hauling luggage down the street and multiple stations, and there doesn't seem to be a direct transit option.

It looks like you're sailing on the Summit on 9/9/18 and you'd be looking for a hotel for 9/6-9/9.

What is your realistic budget for a NY City hotel? Two people? Decide on a hotel first before you pick an airport.

If you stay in Manhattan, you can fly into JFK or Newark, but you should fly home from Newark. Are you seniors or AAA members? Marriott is opening Towne Place Suites on W 44th St in May.

Car Service from Manhattan to Cape Liberty on a Sunday morning would run $80-100.

Any recommendations on the car service? Would uber/lyft work as well, or better with a service.

I'm an IHG member with points, so I may be able to do that or swing a better rate.

I agree, definitely heading home out of Newark. Which airport is best when staying in Manhattan? Not much flight impact when I checked.

Any recommendations on the car service? Would uber/lyft work as well, or better with a service.

I'm an IHG member with points, so I may be able to do that or swing a better rate.

I agree, definitely heading home out of Newark. Which airport is best when staying in Manhattan? Not much flight impact when I checked.

If you're staying in Manhattan (which I'd recommend for the pre-cruise sightseeing plans you mentioned), LGA and EWR would be the top choices for your arrival airports. JFK is definitely doable, but will take a bit longer.

As for transportation into the city or to the pier, we've had very good success with both Uber and Lyft.