Previous river cruiser, thinking about Mediterranean Odyssey

zitsky

I haven't even done my 2018 NCL South America cruise yet but I'm already thinking ahead to 2019.

I'm getting quotes from my TA and Viking for this cruise, going Venice to Barcelona. My husband and I have been to Monaco and Florence/Pisa but all other cities would be new to us.

I can/have searched here and this cruise seems to get positive reviews.

I'm comparing prices between flying over in coach versus business class. Since it's only a 5 or 6 hour flight I think we might save our money by flying in coach. Maybe we spent some of the money we save on a pre- or post- hotel stay.

How is the weather in the Mediterranean at the end of September? Comfortable?

Edit: It looks like the cruise stays overnight in both Venice and Barcelona, so adding a hotel isn't necessary to have time to see the city?

Edited by zitsky

I'm doing this cruise next month and have added extra mights at both ends of the cruise since I have never been to this area. Your itinerary is the exact opposite of ours but I will say that though ours lists two days in Venice, we don't arrive until noon on day one and off the ship early on day two with disembarkation. Since you have cruised before, you probably know this but it doesn't hurt to state it again.

Sent from my HP 7 Plus using Forums mobile app

I'm doing this cruise next month and have added extra mights at both ends of the cruise since I have never been to this area. Your itinerary is the exact opposite of ours but I will say that though ours lists two days in Venice, we don't arrive until noon on day one and off the ship early on day two with disembarkation. Since you have cruised before, you probably know this but it doesn't hurt to state it again.

Sent from my HP 7 Plus using Forums mobile app

Thanks, you answered my question about whether I need a hotel.

I would also fly in one day early even for an overnight, just in case your flight gets cancelled.

As an alternative to Business vs. Coach flights, we generally take Coach+ [whatever your airline calls it] or Premium Economy to get the essential amenities without paying the full Business fare.

I would also fly in one day early even for an overnight, just in case your flight gets cancelled.

As an alternative to Business vs. Coach flights, we generally take Coach+ [whatever your airline calls it] or Premium Economy to get the essential amenities without paying the full Business fare.

Good advice, thanks.

We are on the same cruise as Dauntless and will be in Barcelona a day before the boarding day. We like to go in early to take a slight edge off the time change and, as Dauntless said, just in case there are airline "issues". We've been to Barcelona before, but there ar a few places worth seeing again.

We are staying on in Italy at the end of the cruise, probably one night in Venice and then to Milan for a couple of days to see the Lake District and the art in Milan.

We tend to think that once we've gotten to Europe we might as well make the most of the opportunity.

We usually do economy comfort, too.

We always go in early and then stay afterwards. We have been to Barcelona several times, staying multiple nights. It is a beautiful city -so much to see and do. Then Italy....we will never get enough of Italy. If you can add on time at either or both ends of your journey, then I would highly recommend that you do! Enjoy!

Is the hotel option only for 2 extra days or can you do 1 day? The one's I've done have always been two days. It's not a big difference, I just think I'll want more time in Barcelona and less time in Venice. But I could be wrong about that!

Anyone know when the ship leaves Venice on the second day?

Edited by zitsky

We extended both in Barcelona and in Venice. Both were well worthwhile since both cities have so much to offer and the Venice stay is limited (not really two days at all).

Having said that, our Barcelona start was screwed up by the fact that the port was overbooked and Viking had to travel to Tarragona for the cruise pick up. They did transport us from Barcelona to Tarragona and we did get to see the other city, but it was a bit of a hassle making the hour and a half transfer. I doubt very much if the same situation would happen again, though, but the extra stay in Barcelona ptoved beneficial since the cruise itself didn't really have the first day there.

Fantastic trip; you will love it!

The price for Med Odyssey is about twice what I'm paying for a South America cruise with NCL. That's even when I factor in airfare etc. I'm paying a king's ransom for two people with everything except trip insurance and optional activities. But I am happy to do that because in my mind (not having done my NCL trip yet), Viking is a better experience overall than NCL.

I have compared prices between Viking and my TA and they are similar.

Have read a few of the stories about the Star and mechanical problems, illness on board etc. Don't get me wrong, I like Viking. It's just that I've never been on Viking Ocean. And many of these stories are several years old.

I really like the itinerary and the chance to see so many cities in so many countries.

FWIW … We have done two cruises on the Star and had noissues with illness or mechanical problems. There are hand washing stations and hand sanitizer dispensers all overthe ship and passengers are strongly encouraged to use them … that and your owncommon sense are probably the best deterrents to potential “cruise shipillnesses”. Mechanical issues can arise but generally Ithink that Viking has been pretty responsive and proactive in their responses whenthey do occur.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time … we love the factthat the cruises, while not “cheap” are pretty near “all-inclusive”. Except for tipping you could actually get on board and not spend one more cent … there areno additional charges for entertainment, alternate restaurants, 24 hr. roomservice, wine and beer at lunch and dinner, and there are included excursionsat every port. That said, there areample opportunities to run up a sizable “tab” … but that is optional and youcan have a great time without doing so.

We generally do add a day or two ahead of our trips … welike to acclimate to the time zone and insure that delays, lost luggage, etc. don’tmess things up too much. We have hadoccasions where these have happened and luckily they have not caused too muchin the way of difficulty but we always travel with less stress when we build insome cushion in our time frame.

Well I've done it! Put down a deposit on a Mediterranean Odyssey cruise in late September 2019. (9/28/19-10/10/19). :)

Congratulations! Sept 2019 will be here before you know it.

I booked my Viking cruise 18 months in advance, and I finally will be on board next Tuesday.

Where are you going?

We are doing the Transatlantic: West Indies to Iberia( San Juan to Barcelona), March 27-April 10 on the Viking Sea. We are staying two nights pre cruise in San Juan and two nights post cruise in Barcelona.:hearteyes:

The ship is sold out.

Zitsky, find a TA if you don't already have one. You can get OBC etc. Transfer your booking from Viking to the TA even if you are best friends with your Viking agent. We are talking at the very least $500. More depending on the length of your cruise. If your TA doesn't offer the OBC find a new one.

Zitsky, find a TA if you don't already have one. You can get OBC etc. Transfer your booking from Viking to the TA even if you are best friends with your Viking agent. We are talking at the very least $500. More depending on the length of your cruise. If your TA doesn't offer the OBC find a new one.

Thanks I do have a TA. Got OBC and a little cheaper than the Viking quote. Same TA I have used for 4 trips now.

Good advice. Just changed TAs because of minimal $100 OBC per trip.

Congratulations! Sept 2019 will be here before you know it.

I booked my Viking cruise 18 months in advance, and I finally will be on board next Tuesday.

We did this same cruise two years ago and loved the experience. In fact, we are thinking about doing it again but going from Venice to Barcelona. IMHO.... Pompeii was disappointing. There were fences up all over, I assumed, to avoid looting. Not what Rick Steve's had in his visit. Sorrento was amazing but can get crazy crowded. Everyone wanted you to taste their limoncello and orangecello. Glad we had a extended drive back so I could nap.We were there in March so I canot tell you about the weather later in the year. March was cool but we saw only one day of rain (sea day). Enjoy the trip!