Ocean water calm?

mamaday

Wondering if the water has been calm or rough for snorkeling in the Caribbean? We are heading to Grand Cayman, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao in 10 days. The last few years have been very rough and choppy. Sometimes we go on an excursion and are not able to snorkel. Also the water will be stirred up and the clarity is not good. TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wondering if the water has been calm or rough for snorkeling in the Caribbean? We are heading to Grand Cayman, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao in 10 days. The last few years have been very rough and choppy. Sometimes we go on an excursion and are not able to snorkel. Also the water will be stirred up and the clarity is not good. TIA

Really no way of knowing. It's nature. It varies from day to day. Even hour to hour.

With all the storms and n'or-easters, the winds have been pretty rough on the oceans...so I wouldn't count on "calm" seas just yet. Have you done weather searches for the countries you'll visit? You can get an idea of what the waters will be like by their wind speeds (and direction!)

My crystal ball sez Grand cayman tends to be rough.

Aruba & Curacao not bad.

Bonaire 2 thumb's up.:cool:

Time to head to Polynesia

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Usually for us it has been calm enough to snorkel, but weather happens and sea conditions vary. There is just no way to predict this almost until the day or at least the week of the excursion.

We've only had one snorkel excursion cancelled, on Grenada, because the water was stirred up, and that is in dozens of snorkel trips. But, some islands always tend to have better conditions than others.

We have snorkeled once on Grand Cayman; a little choppy but not bad, other time was just a stingray trip and the water was calm.

I've snorkeled in Aruba once or twice; water was pretty calm. On Bonaire I have snorkeled twice, but it was just from shore without an expedition; water was calm. We have not snorkeled on Curacao.

The three last islands will *probably* not be affected by the latest storm in the Northeast. Grand Cayman can be rougher at any time.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Look on this website

http://www.windy.com

It will tell you everything you need to know wind speed, wave height etc

Thanks for the website. Very windy with gusts to 25 mph where we live in Minnesota. Forecast is 5” of snow. Our lake is still very frozen, depth around 30” of ice. Looking forward to warm weather!