Walmart Cabo and Puerto Vallarta

kapcruiser

Directly across the street from the cruise ship area in PV. Be careful crossing the street, it’s an interesting experience. If you’re good at Frogger, you’ll have no problem.

Depending on which dock you’re at, you might be able to see Walmart and Sam’s Club. It’s to the south of the Mall.

In PVR opposite the cruise terminal.

Bu hopefully you are also going into town, to see the real Puerto Vallarta. Interesting and safe. Donot stay just at Walmart!!

Walmart PV had good prices on souvenirs, too.

Great customer service there. The lady working there was so helpful. She personally walked me to the aisle to find Vick’s vapor rub. That would never happen in the states. LOL

There is a bakery inside the Walmart, too.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Directly across the street from the cruise ship area in PV. Be careful crossing the street, it’s an interesting experience. If you’re good at Frogger, you’ll have no problem.

Depending on which dock you’re at, you might be able to see Walmart and Sam’s Club. It’s to the south of the Mall.

Sadie, your Frogger analogy is spot on!

• 5 years later...
On 4/17/2018 at 7:12 PM, kapcruiser said:

Is Walmart close to where we get the cruise ship or tender in Cabo or PV?

Any word on where it is to Cabo Cruise Port. Our ship isn’t going to PV 

Must admit to being amused by folks coming down here to Mexico to go to Walmart.  We live in PV (10 weeks a year) and manage to avoid Walmart :).  As to souvenirs, I would imagine that most you find in Walmart were made in China.  But it is certainly a good option for buying soda.  They also have a pretty good deal on eggs (never refrigerated for those that need their own eggs on a cruise ship.

Hank

I could probably find the Cabo Walmart, but maybe not.  I can't explain how to get there; we took a pedicab ride and had the driver stop at Walmart.  

Hank, I trust the Walmart pharmacy more than local pharmacies as to authenticity and expiration dates.  But I rarely go to WalMart while cruising; I trust the cruise ship to keep my bathroom stocked with toilet paper!

Are we allowed to bring eggs on board from a Mexican port?  [Not important, I just am vaguely conscious of agricultural restrictions.]

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

I could probably find the Cabo Walmart, but maybe not.  I can't explain how to get there; we took a pedicab ride and had the driver stop at Walmart.  

Hank, I trust the Walmart pharmacy more than local pharmacies as to authenticity and expiration dates.  But I rarely go to WalMart while cruising; I trust the cruise ship to keep my bathroom stocked with toilet paper!

Are we allowed to bring eggs on board from a Mexican port?  [Not important, I just am vaguely conscious of agricultural restrictions.]

Pharmacies on nearly on every block in PV, but we are choosey.  Walmart is fine (Costco is better).  Our goto pharmacy is Guadalajara Pharmacy (there are a few around town).  With all the Fentanyl that seems to make its way into various drugs, one does need to be careful.  The truth for us is that we can get our legitimate scrips filled in the USA for less money than here (Puerto Vallarta) because we have a prescription drug plan.  We do have friends that are always buying Ambien for friends, back in the States, but not the kind of risk I would take.  

Of course you cannot bring eggs aboard.  When you get omelets or scrambled onboard you are generally getting pasteurized stuff out of a box.  Argh!  Cruise lines would never allow fresh eggs aboard!

Hank

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Pharmacies on nearly on every block in PV, but we are choosey.  Walmart is fine (Costco is better).  Our goto pharmacy is Guadalajara Pharmacy (there are a few around town).  ***

Of course you cannot bring eggs aboard.  When you get omelets or scrambled onboard you are generally getting pasteurized stuff out of a box.  Argh!  Cruise lines would never allow fresh eggs aboard!

Hank

Thanks for the referral.  My co-pay for one of my medications in the local US CVS pharmacy is higher than my cost from a Canadian pharmacy without my insurance involved.  My Canadian pharmacy accepts my US doctor's prescription.  I haven't tried a Mexican pharmacy for this yet.

I know that Princess has fresh eggs on-board.  One of their "signature" activities is an "Egg Drop" -- not the soup.  construct a packaging to allow an egg to survive a drop from the second floor balcony of the atrium.  Of those who succeed, the one voted most popular design is given a Princess key chain or other valuable prize.  My egg survives every toss, but I never won the coveted key chain!!  [Hint:  a superhero with a parachute can easily carry the egg with a few bandaids and some gauze.]  

19 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Thanks for the referral.  My co-pay for one of my medications in the local US CVS pharmacy is higher than my cost from a Canadian pharmacy without my insurance involved.  My Canadian pharmacy accepts my US doctor's prescription.  I haven't tried a Mexican pharmacy for this yet.

I know that Princess has fresh eggs on-board.  One of their "signature" activities is an "Egg Drop" -- not the soup.  construct a packaging to allow an egg to survive a drop from the second floor balcony of the atrium.  Of those who succeed, the one voted most popular design is given a Princess key chain or other valuable prize.  My egg survives every toss, but I never won the coveted key chain!!  [Hint:  a superhero with a parachute can easily carry the egg with a few bandaids and some gauze.]  

I love the Princess egg drop but sometimes wonder if the only real eggs are used for that activity 🙂  But seriously, just about all the cruise lines use commercial boxed (like a large milk carton) pasteurized eggs whenever it is possible (which is for just about anything where you do not need an intact yolk).  On one of my recent cruisers I asked the grill man (in their Lido) if he would make me an omelet using the real eggs he had in a bowl.  He bluntly told me that he "would get in trouble" with his boss if he did that.  The real eggs were only for things like over easy, sunny side up. etc. where you really must use a real egg.  Otherwise, it is poured from a carton.  My own appraisal is that the pastuerized egg mix tastes fine, but the texture is "off" when it comes to omelets.  For scrambled it is open to debate.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

My own appraisal is that the pastuerized egg mix tastes fine, but the texture is "off" when it comes to omelets.  For scrambled it is open to debate.

With the scrambled, sometimes I can tell and sometimes I can't. If anyone has used boxed egg fluid for an omelet I ordered, I was clueless. But I mostly order omelets in restaurants and restaurants tend to use real eggs.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, lhuggi1 said:

Any word on where it is to Cabo Cruise Port. Our ship isn’t going to PV 

In Cabo San Lucas, you'll tender to the Marina. Here's a walking map to the Cabo San Lucas Walmart if you plan to go on foot. It's totally walkable, and takes about a half hour to get there (longer if you stroll and sightsee along the way). Hope this helps!

cabo.walmart.jpg

On 2/16/2024 at 4:59 PM, Hlitner said:

I love the Princess egg drop but sometimes wonder if the only real eggs are used for that activity 🙂  But seriously, just about all the cruise lines use commercial boxed (like a large milk carton) pasteurized eggs whenever it is possible (which is for just about anything where you do not need an intact yolk).  On one of my recent cruisers I asked the grill man (in their Lido) if he would make me an omelet using the real eggs he had in a bowl.  He bluntly told me that he "would get in trouble" with his boss if he did that.  The real eggs were only for things like over easy, sunny side up. etc. where you really must use a real egg.  Otherwise, it is poured from a carton.  My own appraisal is that the pastuerized egg mix tastes fine, but the texture is "off" when it comes to omelets.  For scrambled it is open to debate.

While on Princess cruises, for breakfast, I always requested omelet with egg white.  Do they use "real" egg for egg white omelet?

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 12:17 PM, Hlitner said:

Must admit to being amused by folks coming down here to Mexico to go to Walmart.  We live in PV (10 weeks a year) and manage to avoid Walmart :).  As to souvenirs, I would imagine that most you find in Walmart were made in China.  But it is certainly a good option for buying soda.  They also have a pretty good deal on eggs (never refrigerated for those that need their own eggs on a cruise ship.

Hank

Curious if you have a great short term place to suggest since you are there for 10wks a year?  Would love to do this!!  Thank you!!

48 minutes ago, chellecruise12 said:

Curious if you have a great short term place to suggest since you are there for 10wks a year?  Would love to do this!!  Thank you!!

WOW!  Talk to 20 expats here and you would likely get 20 different suggestions.  We love living in the Romantic Zone/Old Town because there is so much within walking distance and we are right next to the beach where we spend many of our days.   For short term, many love the Hotel Zone where there are multiple hotels (and some all-inclusives) with beach and pools.  Other folks like to go about 45 min from PV to Nuevo Vallarta where there are many upscale resort/hotels and a nice beach.  While we think of Nuevo as something akin to Miami Beach (as opposed to real Mexico) it is a beautiful area.  

In our part of town (Old Town) there really are not any hotels, close to the beach, that I would recommend.  There are some hotels, but none of them would get my "stamp of approval."  If you move away from the beach there are some excellent places (often a bit up in the hills) some of which are quite pricy.  This part of Vallarta is also very gay-friendly and some of the short term places tend to attract a majority of gay men who do like to party pretty late in the night (i.e. Blue Chairs, etc).  Our part of town is not what many would consider quiet :).  Not an issue in our condo (where we get the constant sound of the crashing waves) but more than a few folks have been known to complain that its too noisy late at night.

I know I am not giving you a good answer other then to take some time researching the place that would best fit your own wants.  The largest hotel, not too far out of town is the Sheraton which is about 1 1/2 miles north of our location.  Some say that is a good compromise to get away from the noise of town, and still be within easy distance of the city.

Hank

• Thanks 1