What can I expect at SF Cruise Terminal?

Ellipooh

We will be embarking on Princess Grand r/t from SF. It’s my hometown but this will be our first time out of the new cruise terminal.

We are traveling with my elderly in-laws. They are flying in the night before, staying in Hilton Embarcadero. I’m thinking of taking UberXL from our house to their hotel, picking them (and their luggage) up, and proceeding on to the ship. My idea is so that they don’t have to find us in a busy terminal.

Between the four of us, we have more than our share of mobility issues. Trying to decide whether to bring DH’s wheelchair just for the boarding process, as he cannot stand for long periods or walk long distances.

We are all in full suites, so I’m expecting some sort of Priority Boarding area. Are we better off (read, able to board earlier) from the Wheelchair or the Priority area?

I guess my general question is, What exactly can we expect at the cruise terminal? No detail too small, I’m a planner:D TIA

We boarded the Eurodam in May and I live in SF, so I think I can help.

First off - I assume you're referring to the nearby Hyatt Embarcadero, but it really doesn't matter in your scenario.

The SF port is only a few years old and is very spacious. We've boarded twice over recent years on small repo cruises to Vancouver. There was never a wait. On the first trip in the new terminal (2015) we boarded a sister ship, the Star Princess, through the general boarding line and it moved very quickly and smoothly. Most recently, we boarded the Eurodam. My husband is also mobility-impaired (he can walk slowly with a cane) We were able to find a wheelchair attendant immediately upon entering the terminal (I'm sure they would come to the curb) who cheerfully whisked us through the lines. I think our Mariner Club status got us priority boarding, but I also think that it was superfluous with the wheelchair. I recall that the attendant continued with us, up the ramped gangway, until we arrived at the security check on the ship. A HAL crewmember with a wheelchair took over from there.

In both cases, the details were slightly different than your situation, but the embarcation process was perhaps the easiest we've encountered in our 30 cruises. The terminal is bright, efficient, and well-staffed (I assume Princess will pay for sufficient port staff for smooth check-in as usual). And it's a HUGE improvement over the original.

Edited by MarkBearSF

That's marvelous info, Mark, thanks for sharing your experiences. Very reassuring to hear about the w/c availability at the port, we can leave ours at home.

Does anyone know the layout of the terminal interior? What's to the right, what's to the left, which way do we go?

• 2 weeks later...

You can call Princess and request a wheelchair(s) for embarking and disembarking. When embarking you will just need to tell them as you enter the terminal that you requested a wheelchair. When disembarking there will be a special waiting lounge for those requesting wheelchairs.

Everyone else has the same info I have. :)

We also have mobility issues, and priority boarding.

I have a wheelchair, which I don't bring, but I now have a walker. It's mostly used for me to sit down if there are no chairs available.

That I will bring.

SF new terminal is very easy to navigate. The priority boarding lounge area is pretty nice, but seating does get full.

We stayed at a hotel right down from the terminal. We had parked in one of the pay lots, and took a shuttle to the pier.

Patti

• 3 weeks later...

Where to go will not be an issue when you get to the terminal. There will be people right at the outside door who will want to see your tickets and will tell you exactly where you can and cannot go. When you actually board most people will take escalators but there are elevators. There will be lots of seating until you actually board. There is a separate area for priority boarding. It will be reflected on your boarding pass if you do get it and, again, you will be told where to go.

The drop off/pick up area outside the terminal has numbered posts. You could meet your travel companions under one of the posts before you go inside. Just give them the post number assuming you have a cell phone.