Packing Cubes

klfrodo

Have to be up there on the evolution of travel.

Everything in it's own cube. Get to the hotel for one night pre-cruise and you don't have to destroy your entire packed luggage just to get a pair of jammies. They have their own cube.

Get to the ship, just unpack as cubes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=packing+cubes&sprefix=packing+cubes%2Caps%2C236&crid=88YLZ9NACZGC

Yeah, I see a lot about them, but I really don't see the point of adding packages to my packing.....I don't "destroy my entire packed luggage" to remove a bathing suit, some underwear, and a clean shirt at the hotel before the cruise. I guess I pack differently than you do, or I don't destroy anything by reaching in to find what I'm looking for.

Never have seen the need for them so never have used then and never plan to use them. Can pack in a regular suitcase as we always do for any trip or vacation - cruising is no different.

Ditto vacuum bags, etc.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My husband I travel quite a bit, both land and cruise. We LOVE packing cubes. First of all they don’t take up any extra space in your luggage, contrary to a prior poster. They come with a folding board, just like the one you see in any retail clothing store.

Once you have determined what you’re taking, designate a cube for each type. I usually pack one each of tops, bottoms, undergarments, technology ( chargers, cords and adapters), and grooming. Shoes stuffed with oddball items and fitted in around the rest. An empty cube gets filled with laundry.

My husband is a pilot, and travels three or four days each week with a small carry on size suitcase. It is full with cubes.

For a cruise, I don’t find them as necessary if we are packing and unpacking once. For multiple stops, and we often travel three weeks or more with a couple of nights at each stop, they’re flexible, easily accessible, and clothes arrive unwrinkled. I believe my suitcase works better and holds more than rolling clothing.

We have multiple sizes at home to use when packing.

I'm guessing that you think that's what I said......but that's not what I said.

I apologize then, I thought you were saying you didn’t want to add extra packaging. I was trying to add the statement that the cubes don’t add weight or bulk to the contents of your luggage, which I thought might have been inferred from your comment.

I believe I did understand that you have no trouble living out of your suitcase without messing up what’s inside.

I know my method is not right for everyone. Just sharing what works for me and sorry for any misunderstandings.

I apologize then, I thought you were saying you didn’t want to add extra packaging. I was trying to add the statement that the cubes don’t add weight or bulk to the contents of your luggage, which I thought might have been inferred from your comment.

I believe I did understand that you have no trouble living out of your suitcase without messing up what’s inside.

I know my method is not right for everyone. Just sharing what works for me and sorry for any misunderstandings.

Yup, I don't want to add extra packaging -- not because it takes up extra space, but just because it's an extra level of packing (i.e. packing stuff in the cube, then packing the cubes into the suitcase). No concerns.

I bought a set of packing cubes and absolutely hate them. I pack my clothes to the size of the suitcase, not to the size of the folding board. I get more in my little 20 inch suitcase without them than my friend who uses a 29 inch case. I travel a lot and have it down, I don't over pack and every thing I need for the first night hotel is right on top.

We have had our packing cubes for many land based/all inclusive resorts/cruise vacations. We LOVE them. We can pack so much more into a suitcase than we ever could before.....I don’t know how, but it’s true.

I find clothing isn’t wrinkled (other than the folding creases....but many items like tshirts, synthetic dresses and shorts I roll) from sliding around in a suitcase. I was a very concise packer before (undies rolled and slipped into any crevasse or inside shoes, that type of thing), but with cubes I am even better. Last month I packed a rolling carry-on size suitcase for a 2 week road trip (did laundry one day though, and still had at least 5 tops and 2 shorts I didn’t wear) but before packing cubes I would have needed a larger bag.

I don't use them. If I have an overnight quick stop, I pack those things I will use there on top.

But I do use a suitcase that opens asymmetrically, so I just flip open the top and use the suitcase as a big drawer.

Now, what I DO use, and find invaluable are these - https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Garment-Folder-Medium/dp/B00F9S81KY/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1531123258&sr=1-6&nodeID=15744041&psd=1&keywords=eagle+creek+packit

Especially for shorts. Keeps them wrinkle free. You may have some packing creases, but those do not bother me.

I'm in LOVE with my packing cubes! Hubby was a bit skeptical at first, so we tried them out before our cruise. Now we use them constantly. Even if I just take an overnight duffel bag or backpack, it keeps everything tidy. I grouped like clothes together in cubes, then laid a sweater, sweatshirt,my hanging clothes, on top to make the most out of the room inside the cube. I loved that when we unpacked on the cruise, I just took the cubes out of my suitcase, opened them up, hung up my hanging clothes and outerwear and everything stayed neat and tidy on the shelves!

I like packing cubes.

It keeps my suitcase neat, and clothes less wrinkled.

And, it makes cross-packing easy. I put one complete outfit (at least) in a packing cube and put that in hubby's checked bag. He does the same, putting some of his clothes in my checked bag. That way, if one of our checked bags doesn't make it, we have a few more clothing options. For us, it's better to cross-pack than cross-dress.:D

I bought a set of packing cubes and absolutely hate them. I pack my clothes to the size of the suitcase, not to the size of the folding board. I get more in my little 20 inch suitcase without them than my friend who uses a 29 inch case. I travel a lot and have it down, I don't over pack and every thing I need for the first night hotel is right on top.

You can buy a cube to fit any size bag. Sounds like your cube was not the same size as your bag.

They are much more useful for trips when one is moving to a new lodging every couple of days and for longer trips. However, now I’m hooked on em, lol, and never pack without them. Easy to see everything in a bag all once.

For items that you don't care if they get wrinkled, try these compression stuff sacks - https://www.rei.com/product/118854/rei-co-op-lightweight-compression-stuff-sack. It is absolutely incredible how much you can get into them. By the time I am done forcing stuff in them, they are hard enough that if I hit you with one of them, it might injure you. I also carry a few spares so I can stuff all my dirty laundry into them at the end of the cruise.

DON

No, it is a garment folder.

I use them for shirts (medium sized one) and suits (large one).

NOT the same thing as a packing cube.

Actually it can refer to just the zippered cubes.

Packing cubes is also the generic term for all the types of containers in this type of packing system: http://www.top-travel-tips.com/packing-cubes.html

For items that you don't care if they get wrinkled, try these compression stuff sacks - https://www.rei.com/product/118854/rei-co-op-lightweight-compression-stuff-sack. It is absolutely incredible how much you can get into them. By the time I am done forcing stuff in them, they are hard enough that if I hit you with one of them, it might injure you. I also carry a few spares so I can stuff all my dirty laundry into them at the end of the cruise.

DON

Just be careful with these if you are flying. It is esy to pack too much weight into a medium sized suitcase.

They're less useful when cruising.

However, if you're dealing with luggage size issues, they're invaluable.

Went to Japan earlier this year. They don't recommend anything bigger than a carryon. 2 week trip, and survived 2 adults and 2 kids between two carryons.

Might do the same for upcoming cruise so I don't have to check luggage.

Since many cabins have a very limited number of drawers for storage, with mostly cabinet shelving for our clothes, we bought the attached. They collapse down for very easy storage in our luggage and have a panel that makes them stand tall when in use, even when mostly empty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711RQMNF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1