is it recommendable?

Hello everyone. I'm new to in this forum. I'd just like to ask if do you guys have tried using a gps tracker device for your luggage when in cruise ship? I've searched these two products(trakdot and trackimo) which are most likely to be compared for gps trackers and would be open to accept your opinions regarding about it. Also, do you think they're recommendable to use for your luggage or is there nothing to worry with the cruise ship security and that there'll be no need for trackers?

The GPS on my car and the signal on my cellphone both die when I go thro a long tunnel or past a tall building, sometimes even a steep hillside.

I've never parked my car or attempted to use my cellphone in the bowels of a big steel ship, but I suspect the result might be the same. ;)

I wave goodbye to my bags every time they head up the baggage belt at airport check-ins. :rolleyes:

Not because I think they'll be stolen but because I fear that while I'm heading to the Caribbean on Flight BA801 they'll end up on flight BA807 heading for their own vacation in Rome. :D

The theft of bags on a cruise ship is exceptionally rare - the perp can't drive off into the sunset before the loss of the cases is noticed.

So as long as your bags make it onto the ship you'll be reunited with them - even if you have to go ask why they've not appeared at your cabin door.

I suggest you don't waste your money - not for just this vacation

JB :)

The devices will be effectively encased in steel by being stored and then distributed in the corridors on the decks of the ship.

Cannot imagine that a relatively weak GPS system could work in that environment.

To minimize risk of losing a bag, cross pack....put something for each of you (assuming you're a "couple") into each bag. It's unlikely both bags would go missing (if any do at all), so each person will still have something!!

And always use a carryon for anything of value or that which you cannot live without...like medications, etc.

I don't see the need for one on the ship. In 26+ years of cruising we've never had our luggage not show up in our stateroom. We attach two stateroom tags from the cruise line to each suitcase at the pier when we drop them off with the porters - one extra on each in case one should somehow be detached.

They then go onto luggage carriers that are then loaded onto the ship. The luggage drop off and luggage carriers are adjacent to the ship - literally feet away. As there is only one ship per pier it is very unlikely that they won't get loaded on board and cannot be loaded onto the wrong ship. Once on board it is just a matter of time until they are all delivered to your stateroom. This usually occurs between early afternoon and early evening.

If for some reason they are not, miscellaneous bags would be in the ship's luggage hold where they can be identified by you. Tracking them on board - if that would even work as others have mentioned - is not necessary.

And to be clear, you should carry all of your ID, jewelry, valuables, money, and other important items with you in a carry on so as not to be in your luggage. You can also take a first day change of clothes with you as well if you want in case your luggage is late in the day to arrive.

Regarding your question about cruise ship security and your luggage, the staff on board have no desire or time to go through your luggage unless they suspect something in them that is prohibited to be brought on board, in which case you will be called to the hold as the suitcase is opened and inspected to witness the process.

The porters on the pier operate in an open environment with security cameras present and as such have no motive, opportunity, or time to go into any luggage. They are paid - and tipped - to move your luggage as quickly and efficiently as possible. You have no worries with this either. Leave your tracking devices at home.

total waste of money. I have never worried about my luggage being lost, misplaced or otherwise while traveling. just follow the same advice as flying: cross pack so that everyone has at least one outfit in each bag, hand carry meds, documents and irreplaceable baubles.

Our only “lost luggage” was due to the airline, not the ship. We choose to pack only carry on and keep those bags with us when we board, therefore no issue with them being misplaced. Just make sure not to put valuables, medications and items precious to you in checked luggage no matter the travel method.

Most trackers are good up to 100'. In a perfect setting that will give you an area of over 31,000 square feet. Luggage claim areas are inside so that area would be far greater. Some trackers do make a small tone which would be unheard in the clammer of the room.

1) GPS does not work well indoors. Especially surrounded by steel.

2) Radio/cell does not work well surrounded by steel.

3) If it did work, it would tell you your luggage is on the ship, somewhere. You knew that.

The ship's GPS aerials are located at the highest points of the ship, so they have an unrestricted view of the entire sky - as the receiver requires a minimum of 3 sats, preferably at least 4 or more.

Having driven on/off passenger Ro/Ro's way too many times, as soon as you enter the vehicle decks you loose GPS signals. A cruise ship has even more steel than a Ro/Ro, so no your trackers would not receive any GPS signals.

In 40 years of cruising, we have never lost a suitcase, some have gone missing and arrived later in the evening, but none were ever lost.

Hello everyone. I'm new to in this forum. I'd just like to ask if do you guys have tried using a gps tracker device for your luggage when in cruise ship? I've searched these two products(trakdot and trackimo) which are most likely to be compared for gps trackers and would be open to accept your opinions regarding about it. Also, do you think they're recommendable to use for your luggage or is there nothing to worry with the cruise ship security and that there'll be no need for trackers?

Trakdot does not use GPS. Near as I can figure out it uses the cellular network and possibly some sort of inertial tracking. It requires a GSM network which should be present on most popular cruise ships however, there may be dead zones given all the steel. No idea if this device will work on a cruise ship. You might email a query to the company.

Trackimo does use GPS and requires clear sight of enough of the sky to locate several satellites. Others have commented on the likelihood of this being possible in a ship hold.

I see. Many thanks to everyone for telling their opinions. Too bad, I wasn't being patient and that I've already bought one. Yes, I've just noticed during my second research that trakdot doesn't use gps. So I've watched some reviews of the people who have trackimo and purchased it yesterday. Hopefully it's not too late to regret for I wasn't able to wait for your replies which are mostly disagreeing to the use of these devices and hoping also, that this device will work accurately. Anyway, I appreciated all of your advices. I'll be updating soon if the device worked well. Thanks, once again.

The ship's GPS aerials are located at the highest points of the ship, so they have an unrestricted view of the entire sky - as the receiver requires a minimum of 3 sats, preferably at least 4 or more.

Having driven on/off passenger Ro/Ro's way too many times, as soon as you enter the vehicle decks you loose GPS signals. A cruise ship has even more steel than a Ro/Ro, so no your trackers would not receive any GPS signals.

In 40 years of cruising, we have never lost a suitcase, some have gone missing and arrived later in the evening, but none were ever lost.

Thanks for telling your experience Heidi and this will serve as a tip as well, appreciate it a lot. Thanks!