Oceana wine package

jgw321

When the ships are in the Med, are there more European offerings available?

Very unlikely. Oceania seems to be locked in to a very centralized wine and liquor purchasing system. The ships do not have authority to purchase wine locally. On occasions when they are literally running out of wine (which happens as their system is not very good) approval has been granted to purchase the very cheapest stuff they can find. In Darwin, Australia, I purchased a cheap Sav Blanc at a local store for about US$7.00. The ship had made a purchase of the same wine (presumably at wholesale) and were selling it onboard for $28 and also pouring it for the wine package.

There are some decent wines on their list but you can't count on them having them in stock. I bring my own:D

Very unlikely. Oceania seems to be locked in to a very centralized wine and liquor purchasing system. The ships do not have authority to purchase wine locally. On occasions when they are literally running out of wine (which happens as their system is not very good) approval has been granted to purchase the very cheapest stuff they can find. In Darwin, Australia, I purchased a cheap Sav Blanc at a local store for about US$7.00. The ship had made a purchase of the same wine (presumably at wholesale) and were selling it onboard for $28 and also pouring it for the wine package.

There are some decent wines on their list but you can't count on them having them in stock. I bring my own:D

My understanding is that the ship does have some budget for local product. On Insignia recently, that meant fresh tuna at Nuka Hiva and Polynesian wine.

Perhaps but I find it hard to believe that, under those circumstances, the exec chef wouldn't want to spring for two cases of Tahitian wine.
Maybe he didn't get permission first[emoji3] On our Australian Cruise the general manager told me he had to talk to Miami before they could restock their wines. And by the time they got permission they were pretty much out of everything but the $200 wines. I have read that similar problems have occurred on at least two other cruises.

Maybe they finally figured out that they need to provide a little more flexibility to their ship staff. Hope so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Polynesian Wine?! Not quite an oxymoron, but close. The photo of the winemaker sampling what appears to be pink Milk of Magnesia does not bode well...https://blog.tahiti.com/2012/07/20/vin-de-tahiti-french-polynesias-only-wine-label/

Polynesian Wine?! Not quite an oxymoron, but close. The photo of the winemaker sampling what appears to be pink Milk of Magnesia does not bode well...https://blog.tahiti.com/2012/07/20/vin-de-tahiti-french-polynesias-only-wine-label/
That's where having an underdeveloped palate comes in handy! I can and I will try anything once!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I am booked on Oceania Alaskan cruise this Aug and got an email:

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO ALCOHOL POLICY

We are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has revised the policy for bringing wine onboard.

We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom.

I wonder by changing the policy if they plan to more strictly enforce policy. Why else would they bother to send out email?

Last time when we had 12 bottles, the store in Buenos Aires boxed them up for us, sealed with packing tape and a handle. This time, I expect to buy at South African wineries we visit pre trip. Maybe see if hotel has a carton?

The number of cruisers that choose to bring more than 6 bottles at a time aboard maybe represents 1% of O’s passengers. By upping the limit to six, O probably will eliminate 90+% of the Calls on the issue to their offices. Time saver!

That (we) 1% that do bring on greater quantities will continue to do so with no problem. It is just a horse some choose to beat ad naseum.

Here’s my bet. Oceania will start regularly enforcing this new limit at the same time it starts enforcing its bordering times! How many posts have we seen in just the past six months “ how early can I board? My documents say 1:00, but can I board earlier?”

No! The documents say 1:00 and you can’t board until then! Pay for a higher suite if you want to board earlier. :rolleyes:We’re confiscating your excess adult beverages! :evilsmile:It’ll all happen at the same time!;p

By upping the limit to six, O probably will eliminate 90+% of the Calls on the issue to their offices. Time saver!

Good point and probably true! Not worried about it myself. I'll stuff a few bottles in my backpack and worry about it when I run out.

Does anyone really think that Oceania would go through everyone’s luggage or comb their cabins to check for wine bottles over the maximum of 6? Not a chance.

Now if you show up with so many bottle that you want Oceania to store them for you, then they are likely to say no more than 6...

Does anyone really think that Oceania would go through everyone’s luggage or comb their cabins to check for wine bottles over the maximum of 6? Not a chance.

Now if you show up with so many bottle that you want Oceania to store them for you, then they are likely to say no more than 6...

The cruise lines run the luggage through X-ray machines. Not difficult. They do this on ships with 6000 passengers as a matter of routine. Doing it on small Oceania ships would be simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I was researching smoking policies on the various cruise lines and came across the CC articles on alcohol policies.

This article on Oceania

is at odds with what has been posted here, namely it states a 3 bottle maximum per cabin for wine and no spirits. I can only assume that:

I don't doubt the posters here, but I am a pessimist so I am worried that although others are OK, I'd be challenged if I brought more than 3 aboard.

The following is a copy and paste from the Oceania website https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005405394-What-is-your-alcohol-policy-for-bringing-bottles-on-board- :

We are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has revised the policy for bringing wine onboard.

We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom. The exception being the world cruises for which we will allow up to 60 bottles per stateroom however this only applies to guests who are booked on the full world cruise or any of the variations of the full world cruise as listed below.

ATW – 2019 INS190111F – New York to New York (174 days)

INS190111G – New York to London (158 days)

INS190111H – New York to Miami (180-days)

INS190114H – Miami to Miami (177-days)

INS190130G – Los Angeles to Miami (161-days)

ATW – 2020 INS200108H – Miami to San Francisco (180 days)

INS200108I – Miami to Miami (195 days)

INS200108J- Miami to New York (200 days)

INS200126G- San Francisco to San Francisco (162 days

INS200126H- San Francisco to Miami (177 days)

INS200126I- San Francisco to New York (182 days

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The following is a copy and paste from the Oceania website https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005405394-What-is-your-alcohol-policy-for-bringing-bottles-on-board- :

We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom. The exception being the world cruises for which we will allow up to 60 bottles per stateroom however this only applies to guests who are booked on the full world cruise or any of the variations of the full world cruise as listed below.

ATW – 2019 INS190111F – New York to New York (174 days)

INS190111G – New York to London (158 days)

INS190111H – New York to Miami (180-days)

INS190114H – Miami to Miami (177-days)

INS190130G – Los Angeles to Miami (161-days)

ATW – 2020 INS200108H – Miami to San Francisco (180 days)

INS200108I – Miami to Miami (195 days)

INS200108J- Miami to New York (200 days)

INS200126G- San Francisco to San Francisco (162 days

INS200126H- San Francisco to Miami (177 days)

INS200126I- San Francisco to New York (182 days

Old news. It's a reworked CYA statement, which has already been batted about on this thread.

While I understand a pessimist's caution, I've never seen one comment here in many years that ANYONE was ever stopped for bringing on more than 3 bottles of wine OR spirits. I haven't often brought on more than three, but I HAVE done so several times and never had a problem.

Now if you were to be obviously drunk upon boarding, THEN you could have a problem!

Mura

"Now if you were to be obviously drunk upon boarding, THEN you could have a problem!"

-LOL Mura.

I think IF ,by remote chance, they would want to enforce the rule (now 6 bottle limit), they would keep the extra bottles for you until dis-embarkation …..so you wouldn't LOSE your extra wine.

If anyone either currently onboard (you’d have to be bored to be reading the Forums while cruising, but...) or planning to cruise in the near future could you please post a photo of a current wine list, I would be very appreciative. I have downloaded wine lists from most of the dining venues, but of course, they show no pricing. After returning home from an 11 day cruise on the Rivera 5 years ago, I went thru all my receipts to see if I would have been better off buying a drink package. Back then, glasses of wine were typically $9-$12 (before tips) with an average price of about $10, and the bottles I purchased ranged from $36 to $54 (again, before tips) with an average price slightly over $40. The House Select beverage package was $34.95/day back then, now $39.95. My out of pocket for all alcoholic beverages was $667 including tips. If I had purchased the House Select package (and drank the same amount) I would have spent $1080. Likewise , with the Prestige Select package I would have spent $1321. Going on another cruise on the Rivera this fall and unless bottle and glass prices have soared in the past 5 years, I’m probably going to pay as you go, and maybe bring some onboard.

If anyone either currently onboard (you’d have to be bored to be reading the Forums while cruising, but...) or planning to cruise in the near future could you please post a photo of a current wine list, I would be very appreciative

The lists are not current and subject to change

I posted some from our Dec cruise but it will give you an idea of prices etc...

i-xMqb2SR-L.jpg

check page 3 + for more menus

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-bnXmLm/i-GgjhD3J/A