New York weather Sunday

buggins0402

We were going to fly in on Sunday to NYC for a Tuesday cruise. DL just sent a message that we can change flights for free because they expect a mess.

Here is the forecast:

https://www.wunderground.com/severe/us/ny/manhattan/40.77%2C-73.98

DL website they expect weather impact to effect 12th and 13th. Cruise is on 14th.

Would appreciate all thoughts as to what you would do in this situation.

Edited by buggins0402

I’ll be up all night...but doable.

Our original flights were on an RJ...was thinking it might help to rebook on a bigger plane going into JFK.

When NYC floods...which is the best airport?

I know EWR is a mess with road construction.

I’ll be up all night...but doable.

Our original flights were on an RJ...was thinking it might help to rebook on a bigger plane going into JFK.

When NYC floods...which is the best airport?

I know EWR is a mess with road construction.

No, the worst construction mess is at LGA, not EWR.

Usually if weather is bad in the area all the airports are impacted.

No, the worst construction mess is at LGA, not EWR.

Usually if weather is bad in the area all the airports are impacted.

Would appreciate your thoughts also on what to do. There seems to be a disconnect from weather forecast (bad in morning of 12th) and DL expectations (12th and 13th).

I’m wondering if they are just fishing for move-overs? Any FF flyers have thoughts on that?

We will be on the Insignia with you. Just got a note from Delta also about our Monday flight.

What are your thoughts for your flight? it seems the worst should be well over by Monday, do you think they are fishing for open seats to fill cancellations on the 11th and early 12th?

Our flight seems to be after the worst of the weather...we are at 3:45 pm on the 12th.

Edited by buggins0402

Buggins0402...we think Monday is better for flying....now. We are just watching the weather. Since we live in FL, driving is out of the question. The forecast will change. On a side note....we need to meet on the ship and celebrate getting on!

Weather Channel has suddenly stopped sending me my daily weather reports and alerts -- not that alerts are a daily thing -- but I've seen many alerts that sounded dire, and when push came to shove, just weren't. This DOES look more serious than most, but local weather people on TV news channels have not been stressing a real problem with flooding. They've been talking most about increasing humidity.

I agree that LaGuardia is the worst airport for traffic problems, although recently it was stated that the worst of the construction is over. I've never noticed reports of airports flooding even in heavy rainstorms. But that may be my tending not to paying attention if I'm not going to be affected!

I should say that I live in Brooklyn Heights. Plenty of nearby neighborhoods were flooded during Hurricane Sandy but we saw very little here. Other times, in heavy storms the streets have been nigh impassable.

Good luck on arriving at the ship without problems! It doesn't sound like a fun weekend to be visiting NYC, though ...

Mura

Thanks Mura...I was hoping you would chip in with thoughts.

In my fluster (and from a call to DL) I realized we are on an Airbus. But, I did ask where it was originating...LGA:eek:.

I’m thinking of calling back, sticking with the 12th, but getting a flight that originates somewhere else.

The reason the airline is concerned over flights on two days is that when flights are cancelled on the first day of a weather issues, people from those flights need to be moved to flights the next day and later so problems will exist on more than the cancellation date. Also when there are cancellations aircraft are not where they need to be to meet the next day schedules thus delays and more cancellations.

These are some of the reasons why flights are not normal for a period of time after cancellations.

We were on O last month and flew in and out of Newark. Our drive to the airport at trip's end was in the rain, although not storm magnitude. We had no trouble on the roads ~ no construction or congestion. If you decide to rebook, this may be your best airport decision with regards to getting into the city from the airport.

As far as rebooking, I have no sound advice except to share with you that I'm a worrier and would want to get in earlier. As was stated, it won't be terrific to be in NY during inclement weather, but there are so many great museums, I'd just hunker down in a different one each day.

Good luck with your decision and have a great trip.

Harriet

The reason the airline is concerned over flights on two days is that when flights are cancelled on the first day of a weather issues, people from those flights need to be moved to flights the next day and later so problems will exist on more than the cancellation date. Also when there are cancellations aircraft are not where they need to be to meet the next day schedules thus delays and more cancellations.

These are some of the reasons why flights are not normal for a period of time after cancellations.

Indeed. And crew might be in the wrong location too, or out of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Buggins0402...we think Monday is better for flying....now. We are just watching the weather. Since we live in FL, driving is out of the question. The forecast will change. On a side note....we need to meet on the ship and celebrate getting on!

I do think Monday is the better day. I’m going to watch the weather channel today (while cleaning and packing) to get a better feel and make a flight decision.

I would love to meet up for a drink on the ship....we’ll need one after mother nature’s curveball.:) I did cancel our restaurant reservation for Sunday night...an on time arrival does not look likely. We will probably end up having our anniversary dinner in some lousy airport restaurant.

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone, the home of the US's worst airport. MIA was planned by the blind. As a longtime Manhattan resident, I suggest getting to the City as soon as possible, if your airline is suggesting it. The next two worst airports are JFK and LGA. In any storm, the city becomes almost impossible to navigate. It's as if drivers can only function in dry conditions. Hopefully, everyone will make it to the ship. Bon voyage, All!

Mary

“Everyone, the home of the US's worst airport. MIA was planned by the blind.”

It is mayhem when you arrive in Miami during peak times. We use the Centurion lounge in Miami which is far better than any of the other airline lounges we have experienced.

Miami airport is so outdated compared to other airports they need to rebuild it one section at a time.

“Everyone, the home of the US's worst airport. MIA was planned by the blind.”

It is mayhem when you arrive in Miami during peak times. We use the Centurion lounge in Miami which is far better than any of the other airline lounges we have experienced.

Miami airport is so outdated compared to other airports they need to rebuild it one section at a time.

Just goes to show you. The few times we tried to use the Centurion Lounge in MIA it was awful. Much too crowded. People sitting on the floor. The American one was much better. The airport itself is lousy, just as bad as any in this country or most places in the world.

Just goes to show you. The few times we tried to use the Centurion Lounge in MIA it was awful. Much too crowded. People sitting on the floor. The American one was much better. The airport itself is lousy, just as bad as any in this country or most places in the world.

I guess we hit the lounge at the right time as it was not crowded. Not many wonderful lounges in the US. Qantas, Emirates, Cathay, JAL, Singapore are unbelievably luxurious with wonderful food and high end cocktails and great food with table service. The Admiral Club is a joke at $550.00 a year. We also have access to the Prioity Pass lounges which are about the same as Admirals but decent for US business/ First.

We (6 of us) are flying in to LGA the morning of the cruise...taking a big chance, I know. On Delta, no notice yet about travel waivers. Fingers crossed the inbound flight arrives Monday night so we can leave on the 6am out of GRR (and DCA and ORD). Worst case, it’s a 12 hour drive but we’d have to leave Monday night. Weather delays are the worst in the summer.

Yikes! We are flying out of PBI into Newark early morning on Monday. Should I try to change flights? Hope our 9/11 museum tour that afternoon will not get cancelled.

The only way you can avoid paying full price for your changed flight and losing the existing one is if your airline offered changes at no cost because of the weather and seats have to be available on flights tomorrow. Expect to pay an additional over over $500 pp if available