Sailing on the Sun sports bar question

300dtc

Since there is no O' Sheehans on the Sun we were wondering what food they serve in the sports bar? Does anyone have the menu? Until what time is food available there?

I remember being on the Sky and being in the sports bar watching football and walking across the hall to the buffet and getting cheese and olives and salami to share for the game, but I didn't remember they had food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since there is no O' Sheehans on the Sun we were wondering what food they serve in the sports bar? Does anyone have the menu? Until what time is food available there?

I remember being on the Sky and being in the sports bar watching football and walking across the hall to the buffet and getting cheese and olives and salami to share for the game, but I didn't remember they had food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Food is available 5:30pm to 5:30am. It is pub food, hamburgers, fish n chips, wings, etc.

Note that last I heard Moderno serves a free breakfast and lunch which is just forward of Sports Bar. The buffet on the Sun is tiny and not a lot of room. You can also get your buffet food and sit in Moderno. The forward area of Moderno also used to have an exit to the pool area. Behind the buffet and sports bar is an outside seating area partially covered with a bar.

• 1 month later...

I still ordered the wings several times during my cruise, so don't let me dissuade you from sampling. There's always Tabasco available at the table, but that's not the same flavor if they do an appropriate application in the kitchen. You could also try requesting extra "sauce" as sometimes the application is so sparse when prepared to also deliver a milder result.

I make a point to sample the wings during all my NCL cruises. The product served varies from ship to ship and day to day unfortunately. I asked one time if all the kitchen staff across the fleet are using the same recipe because it sure doesn't seem so. Decided lack of consistency.

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2018 at 1:51 PM, logan25 said:

I still ordered the wings several times during my cruise, so don't let me dissuade you from sampling. There's always Tabasco available at the table, but that's not the same flavor if they do an appropriate application in the kitchen. You could also try requesting extra "sauce" as sometimes the application is so sparse when prepared to also deliver a milder result.

I make a point to sample the wings during all my NCL cruises. The product served varies from ship to ship and day to day unfortunately. I asked one time if all the kitchen staff across the fleet are using the same recipe because it sure doesn't seem so. Decided lack of consistency.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, bobsfamily said:

Is this going to change after coming out of drydock?

Yes - I realize this thread is from last year 🙂

Regarding the (wing) variation across the fleet - that's a definite. It seems like at O'Sheehan's that the wings are almost baked - not like the (more traditional) buffalo style fried wings I've enjoyed multiple times  on the Sky. 

So - any changes to the place (mainly menu wise) since the dry dock?

Tom

On 6/8/2019 at 1:58 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yes - I realize this thread is from last year 🙂

Regarding the (wing) variation across the fleet - that's a definite. It seems like at O'Sheehan's that the wings are almost baked - not like the (more traditional) buffalo style fried wings I've enjoyed multiple times  on the Sky. 

So - any changes to the place (mainly menu wise) since the dry dock?

Tom

We will be on the Sun in a suite end of August... will let you know!

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks Bob  🙂

Have a blast !!

In May (19th) we were on the Breakaway and although the wings were good the line (except for late night/early early morning) for service was very busy. On embarkation day we headed to O'Sheehan's and sat at the bar as everyone wandered by (it was where you got on) and at noon ordered food including wings.  They were fried, not sure about being half-baked before but it certainly could have been.  Even with being one of the first to order food it took 30+ minutes before anything showed up... drinks were good though while waiting (we were in a mini-suite). I think the ship was as full as it could get as service was slow even in specialty eateries. 

We were on the Sun right after drydock last year in a mini-suite and sadly I expected O'Sheehan's (sports bar) to be 24/7 but alas not so... The burgers were great when open though.  Will let you know what has changed in a year (or so).

That Sports Bar is used in the morning and at noon as overflow seating from the SUNs small Buffet area.

In the late afternoon it becomes a sort of O'Sheehans with American comfort food (burgers-fries) it is the

foodie place when the Buffet changes from the last PM meal service to the AM breakfast mode.

Out the aft door of the Sports Bar is the Great Outdoors - head starboard past the G. O. Bar where there 

is a mini-buffet hidden behind the Great Outdoors Bar that is open early evening with desert treats fruit servings

and cold cuts of meat - AND (cookies keep it a secret and the soft serve Ice Cream machine) !

YMMV with the dry-dock improvements - notably 1 deck up the Tapas restaurant has been converted to a Los Lobos !

• 2 months later...