Have things gone down hill?

gingerbumblebee

I went on a P&O cruise in 2015 to Norway aboard Azura. My family (husband, 2 young boys and my dad) had a wonderful time and said we'd love to cruise again in the future. Since then I've had another little boy and next year will be the first summer he can go onboard in the kids club, so we're hoping to book a cruise for next summer. We've said we'd prefer to give some other destination a go, and like the look of the France, Spain and Guernsey cruise, but that is aboard Ventura. My dad was told that its the lesser of the two sister ships, and so I looked at its reviews, and it does seem to have some poor reviews with regards service and how worn out its looking. Having said that the Azura has some poor reviews recently and I just thought it was worth getting views from P&O regulars to see if its really gone down hill or not. I'll struggle to find another cruise which goes from Southampton and allows 2 years old in its clubs, but I would hate to spend a lot of money and then be disappointed. Thanks in advance!

While reviews can be useful at times if I had taken notice of Britannia and Aurora reviews I would never have booked a cruise at all and missed out on wonderful holidays. I believe Ventura is having a bit of a refit next month. My brother has sailed on both Azura and Ventura and loved them both.

We have sailed on both Ventura and Azura and both were great. We are going on Azura for the third time on Friday, if I had taken notice of reviews I would probably have never cruised again. My granddaughter is currently working on QM2 so I looked reviews there, surprise surprise they were very mixed, just like P & O. At the end of the day, it will be what you make it. I’m sure you and your little family will have a wonderful time just go and enjoy it,

We have sailed on Ventura and Britannia and to be honest we were not that taken with Ventura. It may have been our choice of cabin and we did not warm to the restaurant area at all.

Having said that we loved the Glass House.

Now, we do love Britannia - despite having no prom deck - but others hate her.

Similarly, we love Oceana and others don't.

I suppose you just need to give it a go and see what YOU like. We're all different and 'one man's meat is another man's poison !'

I think it varies from one cruise to the next. For example a cruise on Britannia, out of season, with low price deals to a warm destination will be different to a cruise on Arcadia to Norway.

We were on Azura for a short cruise last year and it was fine, but our cruise on Britannia was fairly awful.

I would say that on all cruises the buffet is not what it used to be and neither is dinner. We tend to eat in speciality now, and only use P&O for short breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Azura and Ventura are our least favourite ships of the P&O fleet (primarily because they don’t have a Crows Nest) but, for what it’s worth, we preferred Ventura to Azura. If the itinerary appeals and the facilities work for the kids, then I wouldn’t worry.

Take such reviews with a pinch of salt,we have had fantastic holidays in places where you could hardly find a decent review,not only are we all different,we all have different experiences,some people are plain unlucky,others love to moan about just about anything & everything & some have unrealistic expectations IMO!

Take such reviews with a pinch of salt,we have had fantastic holidays in places where you could hardly find a decent review,not only are we all different,we all have different experiences,some people are plain unlucky,others love to moan about just about anything & everything & some have unrealistic expectations IMO!

That was why I wanted to ask the question on the forum here where people might have a more rounded view. I think its mainly people with bad things to say who write reviews, so its a skewed view.

We've been on many of the P&O fleet. They all get a bit worn between refits but never enough to spoil a cruise. Yes, there may infrequently be minor irritations as there might be on any holiday. Your cruise will be what you make it. If you are looking for fun, relaxation, entertainment and good places to be, then you will find them. Go for it!

I would say if you loved azura in 2015 you should enjoy Ventura now. Ventura is having a refit this March so any worn furnishings will be sorted.

Also I think the food had improved since 2015. Haven’t been on Ventura since 2013 but am going again this June. Have been on azura in 2015 and 2016 and enjoyed all those cruises. Go for it! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is important to remember that the reviews published are only a fraction of the number of people who go on cruises. Additionally, people are more likely to post a review if they feel they have had a bad time or a poor experience.

Personally, I prefer the smaller, older ships but I have been on Oriana weeks after reading a review where someone suggested she was in a terrible state of repair and needed scrapping - thinking to myself how wonderful she looked for a Grand Old Lady of the Sea.

Ventura will be newly refitted for your cruise - go with an open mind and a positive attitude and I am sure you will have a great time.