P&O Early Saver Fares

miranda53

Fred Olsen already charge £2pp per night to change dining times if an Anchor Fare has been booked!

Yes we to travel with Fred as well but not on anchor fares (would be saver on P&O) as they do have some known noisy cabins so we prefer to pick the one we want for peace and quiet.

I wonder how they justify the charge. Is it just money making as it costs them nothing to do it or to appease the freedom fare passengers (aka select on P&O)

Yes we to travel with Fred as well but not on anchor fares (would be saver on P&O) as they do have some known noisy cabins so we prefer to pick the one we want for peace and quiet.

I wonder how they justify the charge. Is it just money making as it costs them nothing to do it or to appease the freedom fare passengers (aka select on P&O)

In the last few years cruise companies have not felt the need to justify any extra charges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect its a bit of both

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I cruised on Adonia around the Caribbean in January and booked a balcony cabin saver fare. We saved £800 each over the select fare (yes we lost £350 on board credit and a few other extras) and were more than happy with the cabin we were given (A006). While on board we asked if we could stay on for the next leg to cruise up the Amazon and what would be the price. We were quoted £999 each (web price was £2,499 each before we left UK). Needless to say we accepted the offer.

I did early saver last year, couldn’t have booked a better cabin location and also got anytime dining, would do it again to save money
But next time you might get a bad cabin location and fixed dining. As long as you are happy to rake the risk, fair enough. Our last cruise was 24 nights - no way would I want to be allocated a cabin for that length of time.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We always book early and always Select. Now our cruises are usually long ones - 17 days or a bit more. Usually on Oriana and usually in Sept or Oct. So far, the saver fares have never gone below what we paid. However, this does not seem to apply on shorter, more usual cruises like Canaries, Fjords etc.

But next time you might get a bad cabin location and fixed dining. As long as you are happy to rake the risk, fair enough. Our last cruise was 24 nights - no way would I want to be allocated a cabin for that length of time.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Very true,we always book a balcony select fare well in advance because i like to pick our cabin and the obc,Freedom dining and free port shuttles make it worth our while.

• 2 weeks later...
i just wondered what other people’s experience has been booking early saver fares? The cruise I’m looking at would cost an extra £500 for us if we book Premium fare. I know we’d have to pay for parking and would lose some onboard credit. But we prefer self service dining, so table sizes and times wouldn’t bother us. I’m only really concerned about cabin location. Do you get assigned the cabins that nobody else wants??

I have taken over 30 cruises with Saver Fares and only once did I have a cabin which I considered not very good. I don't mind which part of the ship I am on, top or bottom, front or back!!!

We have booked Saver fares or similar with both Cunard and P&O and have had differing results on QM2 roundtrip Transatlantic we couldnt have chosen a better cabin on QV we had a cabin right at the front above theatre so if you like a nap in afternoon or ealry to bed it would have been disastrous because of then noise and a very similar situation on Azura where we had a very noisy cabin.

The saver fares are very odd. On my current cruises that I have booked, both of which are 18 days, first of all the saver fare was about £60 only below the Select Fare. We booked on board, so did really well. The Saver Fare is now £400 ish less than the Select fare, but still not as low as we paid and the Select Fares is about £500 more than we paid. It's odd probably called marketing!