How do waitlists work on World Cruises?

bob brown

I have been wait listed on the 2019 Insignia World Cruise, New York to New York, 174 days. I noticed that by extending the additional 6 days from New York to Miami, at no additional fare, it would give me 15, instead of 10, Oceania Club credits.

I figured it would be "worth it" to pay for the flight home from Miami to get those 5 extra credits.

So today, I called Oceania to first check again on my wait list status, and second, to inquire about extending to the full 180 days.

I am first on the list for an Inside cabin on the New York to New York segment. However, if I changed my reservation to New York to Miami, I would fall back to number 12 or so.

Since the PVSA precludes Oceania from selling just the six day segment from New York to Miami, whatever passenger's debark at New York cannot be replaced by anyone.

So.....if someone cancels New York to New York, they could take someone from either the New York to New York, or New York to Miami wait list. Which would they do? Would they look to see who booked earliest (seems to be the 'fair way')?

According to Oceania consultant, they would offer it to the New York to New York wait lister,, and so he recommended that I forget about changing my reservation just to gain the extra credits, and hold my place.....

If I do get lucky, and get cleared, perhaps once on board, I may be able to extend it...

Any thoughts on this?

You place yourself on the Miami waitlist, put in the deposit, and you should be able to move ahead on the list ahead those who have not placed any deposit. Still keep yourself on the waitlist for the New York departure and even if you get on the cruise, wait for the Miami departure, then cancel the New York one. You can then move the deposit (if you paid one) on to the Miami cruise.

You place yourself on the Miami waitlist, put in the deposit, and you should be able to move ahead on the list ahead those who have not placed any deposit. Still keep yourself on the waitlist for the New York departure and even if you get on the cruise, wait for the Miami departure, then cancel the New York one. You can then move the deposit (if you paid one) on to the Miami cruise.

+1

I would give it a go for the longer cruise

The percentage of cancellations after initial deposit on a World Cruise are HUGE.

I have been wait listed on the 2019 Insignia World Cruise, New York to New York, 174 days. I noticed that by extending the additional 6 days from New York to Miami, at no additional fare, it would give me 15, instead of 10, Oceania Club credits.

I figured it would be "worth it" to pay for the flight home from Miami to get those 5 extra credits.

I think everyone who books the world cruise (no matter whether you embark in NYC, Miami or LA) will get the 15 credits. Ask your travel agent or Oceania for confirmation.

None of us really know the details. As Stan and Jim replied cancellations are typically large. However, O continues to sell segments of that cruise at a brisk pace. The longer the process, the more the cabin swapping along the way you may be doing.

Thanks for all those suggestions...

Tomorrow, I'll call my cruise consultant at O, and ask about the 15 credits for the 174 days...if so, that would solve that.

Otherwise, I'll consider putting down a second deposit for the 180 days....I didn't know you were "allowed" to make two reservations covering the same cruise....

As for "switching cabins"....I take that to mean that the res system does not show any single cabins left available for the entire cruise, but that by switching cabins, at least one time, possibly more, I would be able to "piece together" the entire cruise.

I would be willing to endure that inconvenience in order to get on, just so long as I receive the full "World Cruise" benefits that would come from a single cabin the entire route....

I just spoke to an O rep on the phone....she confirmed that all passengers doing the full world cruise, including the 174 day New York to New York, would in fact receive the 15 Oceania Club credits....

So, problem solved...no need to go on to Miami to get them and then fly home....:cool:

Excellent news! Thanks for the update and confirming Go-Bucks post. Have a great time.

Thanks...but I won't really be comfortable, until I get that call that I have cleared the wait list...;)

Then, I'll get active on the Roll Call....:)

Thanks...but I won't really be comfortable, until I get that call that I have cleared the wait list...;)

Then, I'll get active on the Roll Call....:)

So glad to hear that the news made things a bit less complicated for you. Hope the waitlist issue gets resolved and you'll get your cabin. If you get on the cruise, please come on over and join our roll call!! :D

P.S. Keep watching daily to see if any cabins open up; after my waitlist experience, I wouldn't just count on O to give you a cabin. Be proactive!