Why covered windows on lower decks?

Twitchly

Looking at the 360-degree tour of Viking Sky on the Viking web site, I see what looks like covered windows throughout both floors of the living room.

Are the windows always covered over like this? If so, why? I would think you'd want to see outside.

Also, are the pools fresh water or salt water?

I have wondered that exact thought myself. All other public spaces on 7 deck have floor to ceiling windows and are great for views. Can't tell hardly if we are moving through the 1/2 deck atrium area windows. As far as pools, on the Sun I was told they use Bromine instead of Chlorine to purify the pools so I am saying fresh water......I have not yet tasted it for salt....:cool:

The Scandinavian window treatments on Decks 2 and 3 around the atrium hide the views of the 3 tenders/lifeboats on both the port and starboard sides of the ship. They provide a much more aesthetic view and ambiance than that of the tenders hanging on their davits. Hope that helps to answer your question.

The Scandinavian window treatments on Decks 2 and 3 around the atrium hide the views of the 3 tenders/lifeboats on both the port and starboard sides of the ship. They provide a much more aesthetic view and ambiance than that of the tenders hanging on their davits. Hope that helps to answer your question.

But what about One Deck? Fixed windows with ocean views if not covered. It would be nice to sit at the Viking Bar in the evening and see the sea.:cool: I am not bothered by views of lifeboats on the other decks as we are on a ship. I understand others like a more esthetic look.

I have wondered that exact thought myself. All other public spaces on 7 deck have floor to ceiling windows and are great for views. Can't tell hardly if we are moving through the 1/2 deck atrium area windows. As far as pools, on the Sun I was told they use Bromine instead of Chlorine to purify the pools so I am saying fresh water......I have not yet tasted it for salt....:cool:

Even salt water pools must be sanitized with either Chlorine or Bromine when in recirculation mode. Salt water pools must be either switched from flow through to recirculation, or drained, when within 12 miles of shore. Since the ship doesn't want an empty pool in port, they most often switch to recirculation. Then, since it is required to close the pool during the transition between flow through and recirculation until the residual halogen level is correct, which can take an hour or two, unless there are more than one sea day in a row, they normally leave even sea water pools on recirculation all the time.

The living room is lovely - all the books, good bar, great coffee and pastries. But give me the upper level of the explorer lounge any time. I don’t even have to have a front row seat. Maybe the living room is better for socializing? I don’t know - just felt a bit claustrophobic. But a lovely claustrophobic all the same.

Looking at the 360-degree tour of Viking Sky on the Viking web site, I see what looks like covered windows throughout both floors of the living room.

Are the windows always covered over like this? If so, why? I would think you'd want to see outside.

Also, are the pools fresh water or salt water?

Fresh water - all three . It’s about the only place on the ship that the windows are covered . I think it’s a way to make it feel like a Living Room in your Home .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums