Luxury options at ports Bastia, Bonifacio, Alghero, Majan, and Malaga

Catlover54

I will be cruising into these ports on a luxury ship in late May (MS Europa) and am trying to decide if I should plan private tours here, just walk around or take ship excursions. This may be my only time here so I want to maximize my experience but without exhausting myself. I am not keen on using local public transport on my own.

Ship excursions include an option to go to Erbalunga from Bastia, a boat-cable trolley-walk option in Bonifacio, Neptune Grotto in Alghero, Ciutadella out of Mahan, and excursion to Mijas with wine tasting out of Malaga.

Any suggestions for “must do”?

in Bastia i allways did stay in the town to eat some cold cuts and cheeses from Corsica and local wine ( white or Rosé the red is far too heavy )

Bonifacio is always a risk - sometimes rough seas and a longer tendering

around the yacht harbour there are several restaurants - a few are better as the usual - believe it or not there is a grocery store with the availability of the most expensive wines and bubbles ( for the yacht people :D )

i went to the top once

Mijas is very special but you easily can do it with a taxi

Malaga is working very hard on its image - the new terminal is very big and extremely clean

i always go to the market in Malaga and there is a shopping street in the center with good choice - the restaurants in the center are not expensive at all

there are a few very interesting museums - avoid the coaches with donkeys !

you also can take a walk to the department store - 1 mile from the entrance of the port - lots of flower sellers

there is also a train going to Fuengirola ( mind wallets on the trains !! )

Thank you, Vistaman! It is at times like this, when I am reviewing the few things I can pack into my trips and where I have to make decisions, that I again envy you Europeans, who are a short 1-3 hour flight away from so many wonderful destinations and can hop over for long weekends anywhere in Europe if you want without much trouble (subject to resources, of course).

For us out of San Francisco it is long and brutal travel agony, even in business class, to get anywhere in Europe, (especially as I have aching muscles and bones) where there is so much to see, not to mention trying to go back for a second look. The best would be to retire and then live somewhere over there for a year or two before we get too old to negotiate walking all the hills, but DH loves working and living in scenic and sunny California, so I just fit in some solo or friends trips on my own when I can get my fill in between trips with him.

The planned cruises start becoming real to me a few months before, when I have to plan specifics on my shore time, and I am excited for this cruise to these ports I have never been to and also for my fourth Barcelona visit, this one is a nice overnighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk