Explorer Society

sleepybobo

Are past guests of Viking automatically members of the Explorer Society? What are the benefits?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes they are. Re benefits - look here: https://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/explorer-society.html. Also, the next time you book a cruise with them they offer you the opportunity to select a thank you gift. Don't know tho how many times the offer is extended. Every time you book another cruise or just the first time? Also we've been getting a complimentary e-subscription to the Conde Nast magazine dating back to after our first Viking River cruise. Hope this helps.

Yes they are. Re benefits - look here: https://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/explorer-society.html. Also, the next time you book a cruise with them they offer you the opportunity to select a thank you gift. Don't know tho how many times the offer is extended. Every time you book another cruise or just the first time? Also we've been getting a complimentary e-subscription to the Conde Nast magazine dating back to after our first Viking River cruise. Hope this helps.

Every trip. I have a nice selection now of little bags to organize small stuff into for packing. And, it seems that he gift is not offered in UK.

Thanks CharTrav and Peregrina651. The little goodies from Viking is nice. Look forward to seeing what I'll get for my next trip. :)

I'm wondering if past guests get notified of new itineraries and last-minutes discount ahead of the general public. Given how fast the V level cabins are sold out, I'd love to know whenever there's new sailings.

Every trip. I have a nice selection now of little bags to organize small stuff into for packing. And, it seems that he gift is not offered in UK.

Nice to know. Explains the email received today that we don't if it's for our VR cruise in July or the VO cruise this January. Think I'll reconsider ignoring it.

Nice to know. Explains the email received today that we don't if it's for our VR cruise in July or the VO cruise this January. Think I'll reconsider ignoring it.

It is for your January cruise. You'll get another one for your July cruise around April plus, it is one gift for each passenger. This go round, I chose the three mesh bags (now I have 6) and the travel blanket. After seeing the blanket, it is larger than I would want to pack but I know I will find other uses for it around the house.

It is for your January cruise. You'll get another one for your July cruise around April plus, it is one gift for each passenger. This go round, I chose the three mesh bags (now I have 6) and the travel blanket. After seeing the blanket, it is larger than I would want to pack but I know I will find other uses for it around the house.

Remember the discussion on another forum topic a month or more ago on the topic of the gifts and concerns that somehow folks weren't getting contacted about them? As others had, I contacted the TellUs lady about it. The result was hubby and I each have a nice travel blanket. And I agree, it's a bit too big for short airline trips but works great in our den and when I'm on a multiday business trip where it's just the right size for a nap or for holding my laptop (while sitting in a soft chair or couch).

The explorer society page says you receive an exclusive phone number for future reservations and requests etc. I have never received one. Is it posted somewhere, or do they email it?

Hmm. You inspired me to check my explorer society card. And yes there's a number on the back. If you haven’t received the card suggest you contact Tellus@Viking.com and they'll fix you up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay, I'm totally confused (and I'm no techno-geek, unfortunately). I tried to contact Viking via the Tellus@Viking.com, but got nowhere. Is this an email address??? I tried sending an email, but Yahoo said they were unable to deliver my message to that address. Help!!!

The email address should be tellus@vikingcruises.com

I don't see anything about the thank you gift on the link...is it an unpublished perk? I wasn't offered anything other than the returning guest discount when we booked our upcoming ocean cruise. How does one politely ask for something that isn't noted on their list of benefits?

TIA

I don't see anything about the thank you gift on the link...is it an unpublished perk? I wasn't offered anything other than the returning guest discount when we booked our upcoming ocean cruise. How does one politely ask for something that isn't noted on their list of benefits?

TIA

Yes - an unpublished perk which is why I made sure to mention it. It's something you get with your second booking (VR or VO) and arrives in your email about 2 months before your actual sail date. Our sail date is Jan 7, 2018 and the email about the thank you gift arrived last Sunday. When Viking Oceans was being set up, there was a little confusion I think with regards to folks who had done Viking River cruises before VO launched and booked on the Star even before its keel was laid. A matter that for me and others was dealt with quite nicely after we contacted the "TellUs" crew.

Well this is ingesting. I emailed yesterday asking about the program and getting my card and this was the reply I just got from Viking:

This program you have mentioned is no longer active and we do not send out cards to our Explorer Society members.

Our new program will send an email to our guest 60 days before they go on their cruise. Guest will be able to select one gift per guest.

SantaFe1, consider yourself lucky. I called and asked only about a card and while the woman was polite, when she checked with " guest services ", she said they no longer send cards and the program has ended. No mention of gifts etc. We are sailing again in December, so we do have a cruise scheduled.

We sailed in June of 2015 on the Star and received medals because of the ship being new. We were sailing with another couple and they never received any of the medals. Apparently, when it comes to perks, Viking is hit or miss. Oh well, the ships are beautiful!

I haven't written to Viking yet. Am about to. If the Explorer Society program has ended, Viking should update the website.

I'll ask whether past guests receive advance notification of new itineraries and last-minute discounts ahead of the general public.

I haven't written to Viking yet. Am about to. If the Explorer Society program has ended, Viking should update the website.

I'll ask whether past guests receive advance notification of new itineraries and last-minute discounts ahead of the general public.

Interesting indeed about the Explorer Society. The only advance notice of a cruise I recall receiving was when they were gauging interest in their World Cruise. We received both an email and a letter about it. Other than that - many catalog updates altho none for past few months.

Our next cruise is on 28th Dec 2017. Havent received any special email. I spoke to Guest Services in the UK about a fully booked shore excursion yesterday. (apparently there is no 'waitlist'} I also asked about the 'gift' mentioned but sadly it does not appear that that program is available in the UK as another poster has already noted.

I think on our first Viking cruise we did get sent some very nice leather luggage tags and a small soft zipped bag rather like a make-up/toilet bag.

Often in the UK we don't get the 'perks' considered normal in the US.

Never mind - no big deal. We will have a great cruise I am sure.

We received the nice luggage tags and the zip bag this week. Our first Viking cruise is next month.

Everyone gets them as part of the doc packages each time they sail. The returning guests perk is something different and in addition to what comes with the docs.